I'm confused about the new CPUs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bendy Walker, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Currently I'm running a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo in a 20" iMac. I'm looking to buy a 15" MBP for university this summer, and I'm a little confused about the new CPUs.

Now, I understand that Sandy Bridge is the latest CPU technology and that they're quad-core and all that, but aren't they running at a lower clock speed? Let's say, for example, that I'm running an app that requires 2.3 GHz to run smoothly: Won't the lower clock speed effect that?

I don't mean to sound like a complete noob, but I've never really understood CPUs and the way it all works, so some clarification and reassurance that the new CPUs in the 2011 MBPs will scream performance-wise would be great here.

Thanks.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm

It's my understanding that these chips are able to clock themselves higher when only using a few of cores heavily. I don't know the specifics of the chips on the new MBPs, but as an example it might have the ability to run at 2.0Ghz on all four cores or 3.0Ghz with two cores depending on the load that you put on it.

Edit: Here's the information on the configuration page for one of the 15" MBPS:

3. dime21 macrumors 6502

There's no such thing as an "app that requires 2.3 Ghz to run smoothly". 2.3 Ghz on one processor will be a completely different level of performance than 2.3 Ghz on another processor. You can only compare clock speeds within identical processor families.

For example, my 2006 Macbook Pro is 2.33 Ghz. It scores roughly 2600 points in the geekbench benchmark. The just released 2.3 Ghz quad core MBP scores about 10,000 points in geekbench - 4x as fast. 2011 model vs. 2006 model, it ought to be. But the clock speed is about the same. In summary, clock speed doesn't mean very much.

To answer your question, you won't have any problems. Forget about the clock speed as it doesn't mean what you think it means.

4. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

The quad-core processors turbo boost to 2,7ghz if they only use the 2 cores, and to 3,2ghz if only 1 core is used.
    That said, they're big improvement.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Clock speed is just one element of performance. A dual-core Core i5 can perform up to twice as many tasks per clock cycle as a Core 2 Duo. Think of the Core 2 Duo as a small paddle and the Core i5 as a large oar. Which will propel a boat faster using the same number of strokes?

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Are the CPUs in in the new MBPs Sandy Bridge? I don't see anything on Apple's website about it. Just mentions newest version.

8. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Yep. The gold band across the Intel logo shows that it's second generation intel processors, which was codenamed 'Sandy Bridge'.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

of course they are.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Time to get the bossman's plastic, and chunk the old Toshiba off a bridge.

Thanks.

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah even though the newer chips have a lower clock speed, they will still be much faster than a core 2 duo, even when running single threaded apps! [​IMG]