I'm confused (Macbook vs. base model MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Feb 26, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm really confused. I don't know what to do, what to buy etc. As we all seem, both the MB and the MBP were upgraded today. Looking for the price they ask (I know it has OS X), don't you guys think it's a little expensive for what you get if you compare it to other brands? If they decide to have a blu-ray slot in the future revision, will I be able to exchange mine somehow without paying a $1000?

I'm hesitating between a Macbook and a base model MBP. Sure, the MB doesn't have a LED display....is quality wise really better with the LED display? If I do not do photography work, will it really be better?

1899+tx here sums up to 2160 dollars for the MBP. umm i don't know guys....I'm tired of windows too....for example, if I want to upgrade when they implant Montevina or whatever it's called, How much would I be able to sell this current Macbook Pro if there is a design change?? LIke 1500 or less than that? 1000?

Thank you guys...sometimes technology really pisses me off ahaha

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

What you have to know is Macs have a high resale value. If you keep it in a like-new condition, you may be able to sell it for even $1500.

Also, get from Amazon or something. You can currently get it for 1844 or something liek that, free shipping+no tax!

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I am in Canada and 1899+tx (5% gst, 7.5% pst :( *sigh*) is with the educational discount!

4. RamenBooko macrumors member

Ya, how the heck do you Yanks get no tax from Amazon? May have to drive to Buffalo and get some college kid to buy it for me.

5. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Tell us what you plan to do with your Mac, and we can make suggestions. Web surfing, email, word-processing? A MacBook will be great for you. Some gaming? Heavy video work? Seriously consider the MBP.

There are some great deals in the Canadian Apple refurb store.
    Oh, and speaking from experience, the refurb price is better than the Educational discount. And with today's price drop on refurbs, this is now a great option for students new to Apple products or looking to fill the gap until a full refresh of the MBPs.
    Also, you can buy refurb and still use the Educ discount for AppleCare, which is a significant savings over full price for the warranty.

7. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to have a refurb one I think but the thing is it doesn't have an option for a french canadian keyboard....i know i can change the language settings in OSX but it's kind of annoying when you can't have a keyboard in your native language.
    Regarding this issue, if I choose a new MBP and select the fr. keyboard, is it considered as a costumized product so I can not get a refund??

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It looks like it is. I can't say for sure, so your best bet would be to call Apple and ask them directly.

On that front, I would suggest you call Apple to see what your options are for a French-CDN keyboard for a refurb. Is there an Apple store or authorized repair centre near your location? You might be able to buy a refurb and then have someone switch out the keyboard for you. You'll pay a little extra, but it will likely still cost less than buying brand new.

9. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

you are right...ill call them tommorow! but might be complicated if i exchange it if there is for example a yellow problem with the LED display or something no?

10. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

guys!!!

I just called apple canada and yes, they told me if I select the keyboard in my native language (fr-canadian), it is considered as costumized and I won't be able to get a refund in the 14 days....crap...now it makes it even harder to decide to buy one or not :(

11. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Gee, the thing about a fr-canadian keyboard kinda peeved me. This might not help you really but I would make an official complaint about it. French is an official language of Canada, as you obviously know, so it shouldn't be "customized". It's not like you're asking for a German or Mandarin keyboard or something. I don't know...if I was in your situation I'd argue it. I don't even speak French but if I heard about your case on the radio or something I'd side with you. By the way hello from Nova Scotia! :D

Okay, to the main issue. The MB and MBP decision really depends on what you wish to do with your laptop. Things like writing papers, watching movies, msning, browsing the web, basic iPhoto picture editing and the such isn't really GPU intensive so you can go with a MacBook. However, the moment you wish to do anything GPU intensive, play games, edit in Photoshop, create movies, etc., you'll experience considerable lags.

So quick cap: They will perform pretty much the same on non-gpu intensive tasks but the MBP leaves the MB in the dust once you do anything graphic related.

Other than that it's choices like how each looks, feels, the size of the screen etc. For example, I hate the MBs keyboard. Completely HATE it, so that with my preference for bigger screens and my occasional dabbling in video editing led me to buy the MBP and[Gaming wasn't too bad a factor too =)].

Good luck! Trust me, either way you'll LOVE your new lappy :)