I'm confused, pls explain!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Esco1199, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Esco1199 macrumors newbie

Esco1199

So what market is this iPad trying to get into while running iOS instead of OS X? I love what MS is doing with surface line of products and quite frankly, I believe that "surface" type hybrids running full OS's will destroy the tablet market.

It feels like apple is competing with themselves with their own products stepping on each others toes. Put OS X on this new iPad and so I can run real programs. If ms can do it apple def can.

2. pth231 macrumors newbie

This is when I will finally buy an iPad, when Apple learns that they are losing out on so many potential buyers by not putting OS X onto the iPad.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I think iPad Pro is the beginning of the end of Mac OS and iOS as two separate systems. Over the next few years, the two will be gradually merging into a single system and be called Apple OS.

In the meantime, iPad Pro is targeting creatives like graphic designers, note-taking students, moms without a TV, babysitters, and Apple fanboys in general.

Just my 2 pennies.

4. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I think iPad pro is aimed at people who want to leave this thing at home. Parents who want their kids to have some sort of an interactive, hands on learning device. Or, artists on the go. People who are very hands on and draw a lot of digital art, I suppose. Can't imagine serious person in the notebook market looking at this thing, though. I don't know. It looked HUGE in the commercials/keynote but when I think about it, it's smaller than a rMBP 13's screen. So I'll just play with one in an Apple store once they hit retail.

5. Esco1199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Esco1199

But it can do all that and much more if they follow what ms did with the surface and install a full blown OS X on these pads. What can you possibly graphic design on a iPad running iOS, is there a photoshop or dreamweaver app that can Adobe suite? There is no market for this new pad when you can get a Mac for the same price as and can do so much more.

You what they should do, they should leave the little iPad running iOS but make the big iPad use full OS X. 2 models that's it, 1 with iOS and other with OS X.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I agree that it's probably the beginning of the end of OS X. In terms of marketability of iOS, it sells much better than OS X. The app interfaces of iOS apps can also surpass traditional mouse keyboard interaction. I just tend to do things faster on iOS than on OS X. Since I'm a photographer and web designer, it suits my purpose quite well but I'm not like everyone else. Eventually, if iOS gets more power and more battery efficiency, it should be able to replace OS X.

7. Esco1199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Esco1199

I'm a web guy myself and I want to know what you use for web design on an ipad?

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Code anywhere is my current one. I do more graphics stuff however so normally I just FTP files over once I edit them on iPad.

9. Hellenek macrumors member

Part of my work is in the creative industry and develop a lot of concepts for which I carry a notepad. For meetings, I use a different notepad so as to separate the designs from meeting notes. Both of these in addition to my iPad Air 2. It'll now be possible to do away with all these and only carry the iPad Pro with stylus! Yay!

10. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

the surface is too expensive as is the iPad pro

so starts off at 800+100 for the pencil+170 for the keyboard it is a 1070 system.

Why no just buy a Macbook air? or lie that you are a student and get a 13 inch macbook pro :)

They are going after the surface users. The video of the Mac pro made the other iPads look like crap. The drawing thing !! WTF can't other iPads do that. They cost 500 to start !!

I am ok with the iPad mini 2 being 270 it is basically competing with the kindle fire at this point. Even then its 3 year old software in it. Also the starting at 16gb is laughable !!