I'm confused. Why does macOS 10.14.4 now ask for Touch ID to autofill logins?????

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
In macOS 10.14.3, I didn't have to Touch ID in order to autofill logins. I just selected the login from the list and done.

But now, it asks you to Touch ID. What an annoyance and inconvenience. Why the hell did they change that????

gwang73

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
San Francisco Area
In macOS 10.14.3, I didn't have to Touch ID in order to autofill logins. I just selected the login from the list and done.

But now, it asks you to Touch ID. What an annoyance and inconvenience. Why the hell did they change that????
It's a new feature for added security. You can disable it in System Preferences-->TouchID-->use Touch ID for auto fill.

MarcKerr

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Indiana
It was in the Beta https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/25/macos-10-14-4-touch-id-safari-autofill/
and it's the most annoying new "feature" I've run into in years!

I probably login to web sites 100+ times a day with Safari and using the Touch ID feature might not be so bad if I were sitting with my laptop on the couch but when I'm setup with an external monitor and the laptop is not right there in my lap it's crazy annoying to have to reach over and unlock every 10 min.

It's a nice feature for sure but just not useful when you use your laptop like a desktop most of the time. Were's my wireless keyboard with Touch ID! Is that a new product on the way Apple?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I really like the feature personally. I hate typing in passwords, but Touch ID takes a second to authenticate with. Secure and convenient. Face ID on the Mac will be great.

Reactions: x_man_

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It was in the Beta https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/25/macos-10-14-4-touch-id-safari-autofill/
and it's the most annoying new "feature" I've run into in years!

I probably login to web sites 100+ times a day with Safari and using the Touch ID feature might not be so bad if I were sitting with my laptop on the couch but when I'm setup with an external monitor and the laptop is not right there in my lap it's crazy annoying to have to reach over and unlock every 10 min.

It's a nice feature for sure but just not useful when you use your laptop like a desktop most of the time. Were's my wireless keyboard with Touch ID! Is that a new product on the way Apple?
Just disable it if you don’t like it.

Reactions: x_man_

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Count me in on one of those who think this is a horribly annoying feature. I log into dozens of sites that require a password all the time, lol. I'm glad there are choices for those who want / don't want this.

glhaynes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I never would've thought that turning off System Preferences > Touch ID > Safari AutoFill would revert to the old behavior. I'd expected that would have disallowed using Touch ID for autofill but still required putting in a password each time. Glad to see it just turns off this annoyance altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
I really like the feature personally. I hate typing in passwords, but Touch ID takes a second to authenticate with. Secure and convenient. Face ID on the Mac will be great.
I don't know exactly how touchID works in macs, but I guess Keychain keeps the REAL user/passwords, anyhow. You don't have to type when using Safari, just click on a pop-up to make Keychain fill the log-in (that's the way I work with an iMac; no touchID). Keychain even suggests a secure password in a first log-in.
BUT... I fear having to log-in with an occasional PC without Keychain or touchID helping! Suggested passwords are impossible to remember, and all this convenience is making me to forgive old ones.
(I suppose everyone keeps a list on paper as the only final solution; I do):)

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I don't know exactly how touchID works in macs, but I guess Keychain keeps the REAL user/passwords, anyhow. You don't have to type when using Safari, just click on a pop-up to make Keychain fill the log-in (that's the way I work with an iMac; no touchID). Keychain even suggests a secure password in a first log-in.
BUT... I fear having to log-in with an occasional PC without Keychain or touchID helping! Suggested passwords are impossible to remember, and all this convenience is making me to forgive old ones.
(I suppose everyone keeps a list on paper as the only final solution; I do):)
I didn't explain very well. I used to (and still do on my old MacBook Pro) use the keychain which like you said autofills it in. What I do like about Touch ID is that it requires the authentication from me to get those passwords to fill in.

Reactions: J.Gallardo