I'm connected to the internet, but it says i'm not when browser opened

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shellshock59, Jan 9, 2010.

1. shellshock59 macrumors newbie

I just got a MacBook Pro for christmas. It has Snow leopard and i've updated all the software. I've connected to the internet and it works to a point. Every once in awhile it says i'm not connected but i am and its very good connection. I'm just wondering if it's the MacBook, or is it the internet. Because it doesn't do that for any of the other laptops or xbox 360. Only my MacBook and my Ps3.

2. ethical macrumors 68000

If it does it for your PS3 then I'm guessing it may be a router problem. But then again it's a bit weird for it to say that it's not connected when the internet is working.

Did you have the same problem on the PS3 before you got the MBP?

3. shellshock59 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got them around the same time so i don't know. but the ps3 says DNS error. I've looked that up to and it says i have to type it in manually which i've done now and it hasn't cut out on me yet.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Make sure your router is setup to DCHP mode and is properly setting up IP addresses. What your describing is that the router is accepting the computer/PS3 but isn't passing the internet connection to them.

You can also try just power cycling both your modem and router and see if that helps.

5. shellshock59 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i do all of that? I get internet connection, but it just drops out saying i'm not connected. How do put my router into DCHP mode and check if its setting up IP addresses correctly?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It varies by router, but you should be able to find the IP assignment method in one of the settings menus. You just need to make sure it's in DHCP mode with automatic assignment if the option is there.

You can see if the IP is being assigned correctly on the computer's end by checking your IP on the network preferences menu. The IP the computer carries should be similar to the router's but with the end digits different (Example: On Linksys, the router carries the IP 192.168.1.1, computer's assigned IPs by the router will carry IPs 192.168.1.xxx, starting with 101 for xxx and increasing with the number of computers).

If your computer has an IP starting with 169.254.xx.xxx or something like that (the 169 will be the first 3 in this case) that means your router isn't assigning an IP address to the computer and the computer is self-assigning.

7. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

This sounds like it could be one of two things. Either some DHCP hiccup like the previous posters have mentioned, or maybe a wifi interference problem. Is the PS3 hooked up via wifi?

I had a cheap router once that would try to assign the same IP I was using to my room mate's computer when he would wake his computer from sleep. This of course caused problems for our internet connectivity even though Airport showed that we both were connected to the router.

Another issue that I've had displaying these same symptoms (with the same crappy router) was that there were several other wifi routers in range (from other apartments) This caused interference with our router, and even though Airport would report that it was connected to the router with full signal, a very miniscule amount of data would be transferred.

A quick solution to both of these problems was simply to turn airport off and back on again. Obviously for the first problem it would get a new DHCP lease, and I can't say why it worked for the second problem but it did.

Hope that helps.