I'm considering a MacBook Pro: A few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lbro, Aug 15, 2010.

1. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Hi,
    I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get a 13" MBP or not since my HP laptop is getting too old (almost 3 years). I've never used a Mac before so I apologize in advance if any of these questions seem stupid.

1) First question, I have a monitor and I'd like to know if I can hook it up to a MBP or not. Would I need to buy a special cable? What would I plug the cable into?

2) Secondly, would any type of speakers work with it? I also have a Microsoft Keyboard, mouse, and a HP printer, would they work?

3) I'm also wondering about apps, where/how do you get them?

4) Is Mac software more expensive than PC software?

5) Would I be able to move all the files from my old PC to a new Mac? Is this easy to do?

6) I'm also wondering about bootcamp, I think it enables you to run Windows on your Mac but does it cost a lot, and is it annoying to use, does it mean I can use any Windows program on it, will it slow down my Mac?

7) Do Macs start up a lot quicker than PCs?

8) Do they get a lot less viruses on them? Should I buy antivirus software for it?

9) What are some things that are a lot different on Macs compared to PCs? I heard they only have only one click button, what else is there that is a lot different than Windows?

10) Okay this is my last question for now, do MBPs make a lot of noise or do they run very quietly?

11) If there are any people here who have switched over to Macs, would mind telling me how it went? Was it good or not so good?

Thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Please format your original post (OP) for better reading.

Yes, either via Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter. Check www.mooprice.com for cheaper editions of those.

You plug your monitor cable into the adapter end (DVI or VGA) and the adapter is plugged into the MBP.

As you have your eyes on a TV (never a good substitute for a dedicated computer monitor), a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter might work too.

Speakers = yes. For 5.1 speakers you might need an external USB sound card though or speakers with a digital S/PDIF input.
    Keyboard = yes.
    Mouse = yes.
    Printer = yes, Mac OS X comes with lots of printer drivers. 1, 2

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Mac OS X software is not necessarily more expensive.

Switch 101: Migrate your Windows files or system to your Mac

Mac 101: Moving files from your old PC to your new Mac

Boot Camp is integrated into Mac OS X and does not cost anything extra. It allows you to run Windows natively, meaning Mac OS X is not running when Windows is running.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

Often they do.

No, as there are currently no known viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, just some trojans you have to install yourself.

No, unless you receive a lot of files and send those files to other users, those users being Windows users, and those Windows users having no AV software on their computers.

Too much to list, but Macs have only one button mice and trackpads, but those devices can be configured to have a right click.

Most of the time they are quiet, but you will hear the fans if you do something CPU intensive.

It was good, but it was six years ago, when Windows was less Vista. I never looked back and still don't like to use Windows PCs, as Windows is not logical for me.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.
    Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need either Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or VGA adapter. They are available from Apple Store

Depends on the outputs of the speakers but generally yes. However, you may need an adapter

They should all work fine

Apple Downloads and various 3rd party sites.

Depends on the software but usually they are about the same price

Yes, you can use external HD for example

All Macs come with Boot Camp so it's free. Of course you need a copy of Windows which is not free. It's little annoying because you have to reboot but you can buy Parallels or Fusion to run Windows at the same time as running OS X. It's like normal Windows, you can use all apps you want. Boot Camp won't slow it down but if you're running two OSs at the same time, you may face some slowdowns.

Generally yes but I always sleep my Mac

There are no viruses for OS X

No

You can do pretty much the same things with Macs as you can do with PCs

They are quiet

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to appear clever:

If you want to appear extra clever and cool:

But at least you removed the LetMeGoogleThatForYou links and your entire original post seems to be gone with it.

5. macnoob99 macrumors newbie

hey pal, myself being in the same situation as you, switched a week ago to macbook pro 13", after 20 years using windows.
    I cant say i am an expert managing osx, but hey, things just work in mac so you dont really need to care. i also downloaded 2 ebooks regarding osx and i think im pretty done learning + checking the forum is also a great source of knowledge

good luck

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not to step on your toes or to insult you, but you're almost never done learning. I learn something new about Mac OS X almost every day, just today I discovered how to expand all folders in a Finder window (1. CMD+A > 2. ArrowRight > repeat 1 and 2).

It's a fun ride though. Have a great experience. Btw, what books did you read?

7. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

Thanks for your help spinnerlys, Hellhammer, and macnoob99. It seems that the more I look into a Mac vs a Pc, the Mac becomes more appealing. It's good to see that all of my windows devices will work with a Mac. So far everything is looking good so hopefully I'll have a Mac soon. Do you guys usually buy directly from the Apple website?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Glad to help.

I never bought directly from Apple, only retailers, as the country I currently live in has no Apple Stores in the town I live in and I'm not into Online Shopping for big items (except camera gear once).

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

9. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

I have one more question regarding the back to school promo. Do you have to buy it online or in an Apple retail store or does the promo work with any licensed retailer? Is it $200 off of the price of the 13" MBP or is it a free 8GB iPod touch? I don't want the iPod touch, I would rather have $200 off the price.

PS: I'm in Canada, the licensed retailer I'm referring to is Futureshop
    pps: I used Mroogle but it didn't answer my question.