Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm thinking of selling my powerbook and maybe downgrading. Why? I want to get my girlfriend something really special for christmas. I'd really love to get here something that she could really use. I've been considering maybe selling this and then purchasing a Mac Mini for her but I just don't know.

You see, we've been together for three years in December. This will sadly be our last christmas together because she's going off to rochester for college and I'll still be here in pittsburgh. I really want to get here something memorable for christmas and I think that if I sell this thing, I'll have enough money to do so. I wish I had enough money to do this and keep my powerbook because I love it. Any suggestions?

wildcard

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
western PA
Daedalus256 said:
I'm thinking of selling my powerbook and maybe downgrading. Why? I want to get my girlfriend something really special for christmas. I'd really love to get here something that she could really use. I've been considering maybe selling this and then purchasing a Mac Mini for her but I just don't know.

You see, we've been together for three years in December. This will sadly be our last christmas together because she's going off to rochester for college and I'll still be here in pittsburgh. I really want to get here something memorable for christmas and I think that if I sell this thing, I'll have enough money to do so. I wish I had enough money to do this and keep my powerbook because I love it. Any suggestions?

You could probably go with a 12" G4 Ibook for yourself (maybe even a refurb?) and a Mac Mini or video Ipod for her. Ebay is good for Powerbook sellers provided you satisfy people that your ad isn't one of the many scams out there. Good luck.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Why does this remind me of the story of the guy who sold his watch to get his wife a comb, and she sold her hair to get him a new watchband?

Don't sell your PB buddy unless its for a diamond ring. How about the Athlon?

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
What a strange thread! Interesting problem though which I'm sure will stump most of the techies here- sell your powerbook to get your girlfriend a present?? Er, does not compute...:confused:

Anyway, well done, I think it's very commendable (assuming this isn't a joke). Selling your powerbook for this reason should pay for itself in brownie points alone. ;)

Hmmm...what to do...Your best bet would be to sell the pb on ebay- there are plenty of idiots who will pay you a ridiculous amount of money for it if it's in good nick and it's got a bit of extra ram or a hd upgrade or whatever. I've just checked US ebay and there are 1.5 ghz powerbooks on there with bids up to $1500. With this money and little bit extra from your own pocket, you could then get yourself two refurbished 12" ibooks- one for you and one for your gal. I've seen 1.2ghz refurbs here in the uk for as little as £570, which is about $1000 US, I believe, and they come with a year's warranty plus you should still be able to buy applecare for it.

The problem with buying a mac mini is of course you've still got to buy a monitor, mouse and keyboard, so unless your girlfriend's got this stuff already, you'll end up spending more than you would on the ibook.

Just a suggestion, hope it works out for you whatever you do.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i'm going to throw this out there: if this relationship is as meaningful as you make it out to be, then there are much better things that could be done instead of something as drastic as selling your powerbook. while an apple product is an outstanding purchase, eventually it will age and become old technology. i would like to think the memories you two share are not going to go obsolete. seriously, if this purchase is supposed to be the final, lasting memory of your relationship, what does it say when that mac mini is slow and outdated a year or two from now or when the ipod gets all scratched up and steve jobs gives us the next big thing. while an apple purchase is cool and practical, it really isn't what you are looking for at this point.

this is what i suggest: use your powerbook to make a dvd of all the pictures you have of you guys together and put it to music. watch it at some point before you depart. i assure you it will be a far better and meaningful gesture than any purchase.

wildcard

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
western PA
Steven1621 said:
this is what i suggest: use your powerbook to make a dvd of all the pictures you have of you guys together and put it to music. watch it at some point before you depart. i assure you it will be a far better and meaningful gesture than any purchase.

This is smooooooooth...unless your gf's very technically/Apple-inclined, this is a slick idea. Even if you do decide to get her the Mac Mini, you should do this anyway.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Daedalus256 said:
.... This will sadly be our last christmas together because she's going off to rochester for college and I'll still be here in pittsburgh. I really want to get here something memorable for christmas and I think that if I sell this thing, I'll have enough money to do so. I wish I had enough money to do this and keep my powerbook because I love it. Any suggestions?

alas, way too many relationships don't survive the departure of one person heading off to college. This is especially true for high school sweethearts so unless you're older than that......DON'T DO IT!!!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Steven1621 said:
i'm going to throw this out there: if this relationship is as meaningful as you make it out to be, then there are much better things that could be done instead of something as drastic as selling your powerbook. while an apple product is an outstanding purchase, eventually it will age and become old technology. i would like to think the memories you two share are not going to go obsolete. seriously, if this purchase is supposed to be the final, lasting memory of your relationship, what does it say when that mac mini is slow and outdated a year or two from now or when the ipod gets all scratched up and steve jobs gives us the next big thing. while an apple purchase is cool and practical, it really isn't what you are looking for at this point.

Spoken like a real experienced player :rolleyes:

kamaro999

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
Muncie
Macky-Mac said:
alas, way too many relationships don't survive the departure of one person heading off to college. This is especially true for high school sweethearts so unless you're older than that......DON'T DO IT!!!

I gotta disagree. I used to think the same thing, but my fianceé and I started dating our sophomore year of high school, went away to separate schools, and now we're getting married in May. Good luck with the relationship, and don't let people discourage you about the long distance thing. I'd say go with the mini for her, ibook for you, and get yourself a pair of iSights. I would have loved to be able to videochat with my girl for the past four years. Cell phones just don't cut it sometimes.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
Steven1621 said:

Steven, you're good, but you could be better ;) If the op sells his pb, his girlfriend will become weak at the knees due to the sheer magnitude of the sacrifice he has made for her. He could still do the movie, but instead of a dvd, put it as a quicktime movie in the centre of the desktop on her new mac, titled 'I love you', wrap it up and give it to her (the computer I mean).:D

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Steven1621 said:

I do believe I like this idea. Also the isights idea was slick too.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
i think this kid, may have more balls to do this than i would.

when my ex-girlfriend wanted me to give her my G4+ 17" LCD Studio display, I wanted to pick them both up an run out the door, like the guy in that Doctor Pepper commercial.

Haha, just Kidding.

Give her a iPod video, with this movie suggested above, and a bunch of her favorite songs on it.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Daedalus256 said:

I learned a long time ago to NEVER choose a girl over a computer. Especially an Apple. Dont sell the PB.

FYI - Wal Mart will have 15" wireless notebooks for $398 on Friday.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Steven1621 said:

Well said.
Don't sell the PB. I know i would never sell my PB for a girl.. maybe a car.. lol..

But seriously.. buying something cool like a Mac Mini might seem good now.. but in the big picture.. its just a materalistic good. Why not get her a designer purse so she could use it everyday. Same deal..

Make something like a video, or slideshow of all the memories so she can watch while she's away..

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Daedalus256 said:
I'm thinking of selling my powerbook and maybe downgrading. Why? I want to get my girlfriend something really special for christmas. Any suggestions?

Bad idear dude. She'll just dump you after Christmas at the New Years party. Here's what you should do, sell the girlfriend and get your PowerBook something really nice for Christmas. After all, you never said anything about loving your girlfriend but you did say you loved your PowerBook... :)

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
I just want to warn you. I went the opposite way, I went from a 12" iBook to a new 15" Powerbook. The iBook is still in the family, and a few times I have tried to use it, and honestly didn't enjoy it anymore at all. You'd be amazed how spoiled you are with your current powerbook. Unless your serious about being extremely portable, you probably will regret the decision.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
There's got to be a "top ten reasons why a powerbook is better than a girlfriend" list somewhere we can point him to. Seriously, if you want a special present, don't spend a whole lot of money. There's always somebody with more money than you that can buy her something more expensive. Be creative and make something unique. You've got some good suggestions here, which is pretty surprising for a computer-oriented forum. But for some reason I think that Mac owners are more likely to have girlfriends - just a suspicion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.