Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gewure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Bodensee
Hello there.

I've come accross this numerous times: People upgrade to Catalina and are left with a unuseable device.

In my case it happened like this:

Autoupdate starts Catalina update, afterwards Mac doesn't boot up anymore. Internet Recovery Mode cant succeed, even Timemachine doesn't work anymore.

After some long hours of digital forensics, i found out the catalina installer made spurious random virtual drives on my hdd, some 19 of them.

There is no way of fixing it but sending the MacBookPro (coincidentally 8 moths after guarantee ended) to the macstore, which i have been told will cost about 400$ to repair it.

currently im consulting with my lawyer about SUING apple for this.

Numerous reasons:
~ half a million Users affected
- Update doesn't warn you upfront, apple doesn't supply a fix or anything meaningfull
- only happens to Macs that are beyond guarantee (coincidence? i think NOT)
- closed ecosystem makes it almost impossible to do something yourself (cannot even do a usb-installer from windows/linux)
- immensive dataloss, productivity loss. In my case i cannot work as a musician for now 3 weeks in a row - just because i left "autoupdate" on.
- probably this is PLANNED obsolency, since most users will just pay the 400$ or just buy a new Macbook. (which is a sad story for itself, but nevermind - ppl are so used to apples criminal business practices, they rly are used to just buy new Hardware in case of a softwarefault)

So...who has thesame experience?

We are currently trying to collect evidence.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hello there.

I've come accross this numerous times: People upgrade to Catalina and are left with a unuseable device.

In my case it happened like this:

Autoupdate starts Catalina update, afterwards Mac doesn't boot up anymore. Internet Recovery Mode cant succeed, even Timemachine doesn't work anymore.

After some long hours of digital forensics, i found out the catalina installer made spurious random virtual drives on my hdd, some 19 of them.

There is no way of fixing it but sending the MacBookPro (coincidentally 8 moths after guarantee ended) to the macstore, which i have been told will cost about 400$ to repair it.

currently im consulting with my lawyer about SUING apple for this.

Numerous reasons:
~ half a million Users affected
- Update doesn't warn you upfront, apple doesn't supply a fix or anything meaningfull
- only happens to Macs that are beyond guarantee (coincidence? i think NOT)
- closed ecosystem makes it almost impossible to do something yourself (cannot even do a usb-installer from windows/linux)
- immensive dataloss, productivity loss. In my case i cannot work as a musician for now 3 weeks in a row - just because i left "autoupdate" on.
- probably this is PLANNED obsolency, since most users will just pay the 400$ or just buy a new Macbook. (which is a sad story for itself, but nevermind - ppl are so used to apples criminal business practices, they rly are used to just buy new Hardware in case of a softwarefault)

So...who has thesame experience?

We are currently trying to collect evidence.
The court will be interested in facts:
1. "half a million Users affected" Exactly how did you arrive at this number?

2. "Update doesn't warn you upfront, apple doesn't supply a fix or anything meaningfull" Auto-update can be turned off - you didn't understand the system well enough, which you admitted to later in your post.

3. "only happens to Macs that are beyond guarantee (coincidence? i think NOT)" This cannot be proven, it seems more of a conspiracy theory.

4. "immensive dataloss, productivity loss. In my case i cannot work as a musician for now 3 weeks in a row - just because i left "autoupdate" on." If this were true it would be happening to everyone. I currently use a 2017 MBP and a 2019 MBA, both running macOS Catalina.. both running beautifully.

5. "probably this is PLANNED obsolency" The court isn't interested in theories, only proof.

No need to reply to my post, I'm just bringing up things that you might face in a court of law.

I understand you're upset, but I'm not seeing any proof here.

Last edited:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If you want to go into detail about the problems you are having/what you have done so far, it might be someone here can help you.

If it is just a USB Mac OS installer you are after, you can normally take to an Applestore and they will help you out for free. But trying to sue them will be a waste of time and as already mentioned, you have no evidence.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I'm not an accountant but my math says the $400 fixes the issue and does not obsolesce the machine. The time spent talking to a "lawyer" is precious time I will never get back and would rather have teeth pulled than have to have a conversation with one of "them".

A fix is being offered the time of your purchase vs. the update to Catlina was not a planned event. Sounds more like you are frustrated because you have to pay for a repair. I would be frustrated as well, but I promise I would not be frustrated enough over $400 to call an ambulance chaser.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
What is the $400 repair for, specifically?

I am intrigued by the "long hours of digital forensics". It seems like anybody that can perform "forensics" could recover any data and reinstall the OS they were happy with. No?

Are you trying to get back to being productive...or just chasing ambulances?

"We are currently trying to collect evidence."

Who is "we"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.