IM counts as text MSG?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMaconApple, Aug 11, 2009.

1. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Ok I'm on cheapest plan on att and I'm a new to AT&T

I'm not sure if it was my texting or me IM too much I don't really use much texting but it happen that I went over not so sure if I over text or what..Using beejiveIM

So do you get charge IM as text MSG?

Thanks

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, IMs are all data... unless you have it set up so that replies are texted to you - this would use an SMS

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

On AT&T I believe all incoming SMS messages are free. I think the only way you can send a text message that counts towards your monthly plan is via the "Messages" app on your iPhone.

4. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I don't know about other AT&T plans, but on mine (Family Plan, iPhone Data, and Family Unlimited Messaging), the txt messages count BOTH ways.
    Even when on 200 txts, you were docked for both Incoming AND Outgoing Txt Messages.
    You can login to your http://wireless.att.com account and look at the Data, and Txt Messages.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1. That's the way it is. I never send messages, since I get charged for them, but I get messages from family sometimes and also airline notifications. I get charged for all of them.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Interesting. Didn't know that. Seems kind of crappy to get charged for incoming texts since you can't prevent them. Guess I never go over my 200 a month... heck I only use about 20 minutes of air time a month too...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Might as well get you a Touch. :)

8. pauliphone macrumors regular

at&t charge you to receive a message??? thats ridiculous, what if someone is texting you loads and you don't want them to?!

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Never had that happen, but I think you can call AT&T and get them blocked. Or you can even block them yourself, I think.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Not sure with the iPhone but I know with other phones I've owned, you aren't charged for simply receiving a text, just for reading it. So in that case, you could just never read the incoming texts and you will not get charged. Again, your best bet would be to check with AT&T though before taking my word.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That is why I've always blocked text messages on my cell phone plans. I don't like getting charged $0.20 for a "hey, what's up" every day.

Now that I have an iPhone, my wife and I both use AIM to get "free texting".

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

it is ridiculous, isn't it. actually makes me glad to be on o2 :)

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

For whatever reason, that's how it's always worked on virtually every US carrier.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I should also say that I've always opened the messages I received. So, I can't say for sure if I would've been charged had I not opened them.

15. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

This is taken from 'Wireless Data Service Terms and Conditions'. I have highlighted some important areas in Bold.

II. ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR SPECIFIC WIRELESS DATA SERVICES
    TEXT, INSTANT MESSAGING AND PICTURE/VIDEO MESSAGING
    Messages are limited to 160 characters per message. Premium text and picture/video messages are charged at their stated rates. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages when in the U.S. Different, non-standard per message charges apply to international messages sent from the U.S. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages are charged when sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. AT&T does not guarantee delivery of messages. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages, including downloaded content, not delivered within 7 days will be deleted. AT&T reserves the right to change this delivery period as needed without notification. You are charged for each part of messages that are delivered to you in multiple parts. Picture/Video Messaging, data plan, and Text Messaging may need to be provisioned on an account in order to use Picture/Video Messaging. Some elements of Picture/Video messages may not be accessible, viewable, or heard due to limitations on certain wireless phones, PCs, or e-mail. AT&T reserves the right to change the Picture/Video message size limit at any time without notification. Picture/Video Messaging pricing is for domestic messages only. When a single message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received. Text message notifications may be sent to non-Picture/Video Messaging subscribers if they subscribe to Text Messaging.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, AT&T's terms are confusing. The only time they charge you for an IM is when your IM client uses text messages instead of data.

AFAIK, on the iPhone, all IM clients use data. (So AT&T doesn't charge for IMs)

17. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

You're right. I just posted the terms to answer the OP's question. But you are right about the IM.

18. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

If you use AIM you can get free texting and it shows up just like a normal text from the other person's view (not showing your screen name)...spend a few bucks on AIM and you're all set.

19. Hawkwind macrumors member

A bit of an eye-opener, thanks... I guess that's why txt'ing didn't catch on in the U.S. as it did in the U.K.

20. kicko macrumors 65816

Yes you can send free text a few ways.

I use IM+ for and with an AIM account or i believe Gtalk you can send SMS for free using data. So using an IM app that supports SMS and IM's is a plus.

Ultimatly I use Text Free, you text appear just as they would, your replies are pushed, and they give you a dedicated address name@textfree.us so your friends can send you free text directly to you.

I still keep the 200 texts from AT&T a month but i hardly use them at all now. I almost have to remind myself its ok if i do.

Just updated too is Unlimited SMS, does or should support push soon, and they will also give you a dedicated address too. Check it out.

21. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I wouldn't say it didn't "catch on", a good amount of american teenagers can text faster than they can type, we just pay for it.

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Maybe in the UK they are. But in the U.S, my at&t plan cost $20 bucks for unlimited messaging which includes unlimited, txt, MMS, and IM's.:D

23. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, i'm talking about apps that (before push notifications) sent you an SMS with the message when someone replied to you in an IM app. this would still cost 1 SMS message on a regular US iPhone plan

24. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

oh my bad. :D

25. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

On the iPhone Im's are data. A guy I work with has text messaging blocked but uses AIM to message people and he's unable to get texting.

This should help:
    http://daol.aol.com/software/mac/iphone/aim/faq