I'm curious what next years iPhone story is

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tipoo, Sep 16, 2017.

1. tipoo macrumors 6502

I know, way to early to be speculating on the next iPhone, though I'm sure sites will start soon.

I'm more curious what the overall selling strategy will be. Will the X move down to become the regular iPhone, replacing the 8? Or will it always be the 1000 dollar model, and the regular iPhone model remains?

Selling the 6SSSS in a similar chassis and screen 5 years in a row with the iPhone 9/whatever seems like it would be pretty underwhelming. On the other hand if the X moves down to the standard tier, that would be pretty cool. Or in addition to that OLED moving down to the regular one, maybe another "next years model" could fill in the 999 slot again?

What are we thinking will happen?

2. iAVERY macrumors regular

I think the x will be regular size and there will be a plus version. So like 11 and 11 plus. There were rumors a few months ago that it would be like 5.8 and 6.5 inch oled screens from samsung

3. magpie maniac, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

(1) Fire the morons who came up with the un-Apple-like X.
    (2) Admit that it was all a terrible mistake.
    (3) Return with a 9 and 9 Plus with great screens, processor, TouchID, evolved iOS, etc.

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

There will but a cutout at the bottom of the phone as well as the top and it will cost $2000

5. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

The X is going to sell plenty, so there is no way that the notch will be seen as a mistake.

6. sza Suspended

iPhone X 2nd generation will have more colors.

7. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I too am interested in their approach next year. It is weird enough to me that the SE, 6s/plus, 7/plus, 8/plus AND the X are all going to be options this year.

I’d say simplify the lineup. Update the internals of the SE, and keep it as the entry level. Then sell the 8/8 plus as the middle tier, and have the 11/11 plus as the top tier. The 11 can be an updated X, at $900, and 11 plus, with something like a 6.3 screen, can be sold for $1050.

8. profets macrumors 601

Talk about asking Henry Ford for a faster horse...

9. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I've been an iPhone loyalist since 2007 and the original. I've never had an Android phone. But we need to be honest and be willing to call a stinking turd a stinking turd.

The X is a mobile device designed by committee. I have no doubt that it will sell well, but that's not the only metric of how it's designed, its UI, its UX, etc. I think Apple can sort the iPhone out in the coming couple of cycles, but they have a lot of work to do.

10. profets macrumors 601

While it is nice that the range of 5 iPhone models covers a lot of options, price points and gives a lot of choice, I think a simpler lineup would benefit consumers and make buying decisions much easier.

Between the SE/6s/7/8 I'd do something like "iPhone" with 3 sizes, and with 2 sizes of OLED phones call them iPhone X.

iPhone (4, 4.7, 5.5 screen sizes with bezels, Touch ID/home button and more affordable pricing)
    iPhone X (5.8, 6.4 inch OLED screens with Face ID and the new design)

11. matty.p macrumors 6502

I agree I think it will be like this, but I have a feeling they may keep it as the X, and may keep the X as a rebranded line. They've gotten rid of the numbering for all other lines (iPads, MacOS, etc) and may just have the X, X+, and then slowly work through those.

12. bufffilm, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

In 2018, we may well see a continuation of what we saw on Tuesday...a refresh/continuation of the premium high end iPhone (iPhone X) and the slightly cheaper 8s/+.

It would not surprise me in the least.

13. riverer macrumors newbie

I'd guess the X will end up being 'Iphone pro' and the 8/8+ will end up being 'iphone' and then the SE will hopefully stick around as a lower cost/size model.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i think they'll do a 8s/8s+ and Xs / Xs+ (name will be different, most likely) next year.

and in 2019 they will no longer bring a new device with the old body.

just my guess.

15. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Why can't people accept the fact iPhone X is now a thing and in the future, the rest of the iPhones would be dead. Next year, they might call it iPhone XS lmao but whatever is it, I'm going to buy it. I also don't think they will continue with the regular series, they all will be replaced with the X. Little by little, every manufacturer is going with this display design (removing buttons and making it longer, bezeless). Even the upcoming Google Pixel will share the exact same display look with the Galaxy S8/LG V30 (there are leaked pics)