I'm dead!! :,( how can I restore to yesterday my MacOS Leopard?! all work files gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmania82, Mar 15, 2010.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

A stupid mistake, dowloaded MAMP and made overwrite to previous one by mistake. and all my projects under htdocs are gone!!! i dont have back up at an another hdd.

at windows there is a way to restore date back, and it takes all files back as well. for example, restoring for yesterday, and all files, settings from yesterday is back, super!!

how can we make it with MacOS?

please dont say, there is nothing like that for MAC. I'd be a dead man!!! :( :( :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is something like that in a Mac, it's called Time Machine. Do you use it?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

There is it's called Time Machine, but it requires you to set up the back ups to an external hard drive. I can't think of anything you can do if you do not have a back up.

4. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe Data Rescue can be of help, but you need to stop all writing process to your internal HDD and either install Mac OS X on an external HDD or clone it to an external HDD and use Data Rescue 3 to scan your internal HDD to find any deleted files.

But if the files are overwritten by your previous action, then there is almost zero chance of recovery unless you find a service to bring your HDD to which might be able to recover lost data.

And in the future use Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to backup your data.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Everything that Spinnerlys says there is spot on. Good luck.

7. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

it is so ****ing stupid that when you make overwrite it deletes all different folders, files! Overwrite should only change the same files and folders!!! :( :( :(

8. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

just downloaded Data Rescue 3 to try, but it asks for a different hdd to work which I dont have :( offfff

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

Really sorry that happened to you, but I think perhaps it's at least just as relevant to observe that it is so ****ing stupid to not have a backup of critical files.

I agree that it would be nice to warn of possible data loss like many or most programs do, but in no way could that relieve you of your responsibility to make sure your important data is safe. You can blame MAMP (freeware, isn't it BTW?) but ultimately the integrity of your data is on you.

10. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

first of everything I'm ****ing mad on ME! stupidly could not invest money on a simple Time Capsule! always delayed and delayed. and here is the result of being such stupid!!! :,( :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

but I must find a way to restore. it is not a joke. It'll ruin all my business which means my life!!! :(

please keep advising me solutions! i appreciate so much!!!

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With all due respect if you are truly a professional then you're certainly giving an impression that you're some 12 year in a basement somewhere claiming to run a business.

A true business owner should and likely would have had a backup solution. The time capsule IS NOT Time Machine. Time Machine is free with OSX but you NEED an external hard drive, a partitioned internal drive or a second internal drive. You don't need Time Capsule.

Next, if you truly run your own business and this is your entire LIFE then you would now look to investing into a data recovery service to see what they can do for you.

While I am sorry this has happened let this be your first intro into redundancy plans. I have no other solutions to provide.

12. overcast macrumors 6502a

If your entire life and business rested on these files being intact, one would assume you were backing them up to SOMETHING. They can't be that important. If it wasn't some type of accidental deletion, then it would eventually be something else, like a hard drive dying. Get yourself an external hard drive for backups. Time Machine, really can't be any easier to use.

13. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

for time machine, it says I need bigger size external hdd than my laptop's hdd. I have 500GB at my MBP. so, can't I use 500GB external hdd for time capsule? 1TB is too expensive for me :(

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then buy one, there should be small ones for 30-50€, you don't need a TB HDD to do that.

Just buy a small external HDD (USB will suffice), install Mac OS X and Data Rescue on that drive and run Data Rescue from that external drive to scan your internal HDD.

And stop all writing processes to your internal HDD, even using it should be avoided if you really need those files.

If Data Rescue and the external HDD won't help (which they might, as you seem to misunderstand the concept of overwriting and how Mac OS X handles (or rather not) "folder merging"), then it is time to invest more money in a data recovery service, but that might cost you another 1000€ and more.

15. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

im not going out for 2 months, not drinking beer for 2 months, not eating something else than sandwiches, bla bla and invest money to HDD. I'm going to order HDD now!!! right this moment!!

so can I use 500GB external hdd for my 500GB MBP? I want to use Time Machine!

thanks a lot!

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need a Time Capsule, you just need an external HDD, what size and brand does not really matter.

1TB HDDs using USB and Firewire should cost around 120€, USB ones can be had for 90€ and less.

If it is your business, you have to invest some money for data backup, as even HDDs are prone to fail one time or the other.

So plan for some redundancy, maybe have two HDDs as a backup solution and one of them off site.

17. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

A 500GB hard drive will suffice in the short term if you have not filled the hard drive in you MB. It would make more sense to use a 1TB drive as the way Time Machine works it will use more space.

18. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

so you say, I will install Mac OS at a USD plugged HDD? is it possible?

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it is, thus my recommendation to do so.

I do it, others do it and so it is possible.

Just connect the external HDD to your Mac, put the Mac OS X install DVD into your SuperDrive, boot from the DVD via pressing and holding C during startup.
    Select your language, go to Utilities > Disk Utility, select the external HDD, format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled), quit the Disk Utility application and choose that external HDD during the installation process to be the one the OS gets installed on.

Further reading on how to use Disk Utility: http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

20. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

I just called a friend, I borrow his 300GB hdd for today, I will do it as soon as I get the hdd. if it works and get my files back. wish from me whatever you want my friend!! i hardly can breathe since the moment I lost files :(

21. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

i cant believe how i could be that stupid!! "delaying buying external hdd" :mad:

22. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yea it's possible. When you plug in the USB drive n boot up from the cd you should be able to select which hard disk you wish to install it on. Choose the external.

PTP

23. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

some people just like to learn the hard way :D. Sorry about your story tho :(

24. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

after i install MacOS to external hdd (usb). I plug it to usb and when I boot up, should I press any key combination to boot from usb mac os?

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Hold down the Option key at startup to bring up the available boot drives.