I'm definitely switching...Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fishermanbb, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Fishermanbb macrumors newbie

Well, This is my first post after MONTHS of lurking to try and learn as much as possible about Macs before I switch (25 years as a PC user). First, I waited for the new laptops and now, like many, I have been waiting for the new IMAC's. I have really struggled with my decision to buy an IMAC and a Macbook.... or a Macbook Pro - Fully maxed out With a 24" ACD. I think I am going with the latter (Still not 100% certain though). The machine will be used for PS4 (Relatively light duty), Internet, MS Office and I will also install Windows XP.

I have a few questions:

1. Has Apple released any connectors to use the new ACD with another computer yet (Non - Apple)? If not, do they plan to?

2. I plan to install Windows through Bootcamp and then run VMWare Fusion with Bootcamp as the virtual drive. I will obviously install AV/Anti-spyware etc. in the Windows system. With this set-up is VMWare always on?..Will this hog system resources all the time or only when I open Windows Apps?

3. Can I use the standard apple keyboard with the MBP (The one with the number pad)?

4. Is it difficult to migrate my Itunes over from my PC?

5. I am also going to replace my aging Linksys router at the same time. My plan is to get either a Time Capsul and an AEBS to form a WDS or just get two AEBS. I have a 500GB external drive now. If I get TC will the Windows machines in my house be able to use it as backup? If I just get AEBS will my current drive work for both OSX and Windows?

I appreciate all the help you've given me thus far (Even though I was just lurking) and thank you in advance for any help on the questions listed above. I'm excited to join the MAC ranks but I just need a little help tying up all the "Loose ends".....

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1a) No. 1b) No idea.

2) VM Fusion will only suck resources when you boot up your virtual Windows machine. Then it starts eating a LOT of resources, especially RAM.

3) Yes

4) Nope. Just select "Export Library" in iTunes, and copy the files over.

5) They will be able to write to the drive, but Windows of course does not include Time Machine.