I'm desperate, please help me with first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by :-), Sep 4, 2009.

1. :-) macrumors member

My first post. Sorry for my english I hope you will try to answer my questions.

I'm buying my first Mac. I have only 1500€ :(.

I ordered my first iMac 24" with 2,66 CPU four weeks ago and find dead/stuck pixel. I return it back to the store because I hate dead pixels and it was in the center of LCD. So they gave me the second one and again it have stuck pixel just few cm from center of LCD. So I returned it and take money back and try my luck yesterday in other store and again I found stuck RED pixel in center of LCD (first two iMac's have blue pixel).

I don't know what to do. I cannot live with stuck pixels they drive me crazy (I have one on my 17" LCD and I notice him after 3 years and it still bothers me).

Furthermore obviously iMacs have problems with dust under screen glass (grey spots) and looks like integrated GPU isn't powerfull enought for multiple open windows (I notice that during testing in store).

So the only option that I have in the moment if I want OSX (I don't like Windows, after 15 years not anymore) is MBP 13".

I have currently 2 years old NEC Multisync 20WGX2 Pro it's 20" with AS-IPS screen and I was thinking to buy MBP 13" to hook it up to my screen.

The only question here is would MBP 13" be powerfull enought (2,53CPU, 4GB ram, 320GB hdd)? Is this good solution? I don't need portability 100%, I would use it 80% in my flat and maybe 20% for outdoor activities.

I would use it mainly for programming, office, wireless, movies, music and running XP (Paralels) for specific programs for programming ARM CPU-s.

I think there is no other option if I want to run OSX with only 1500€ and don't want to go with iMac.

So is economical to buy MBP 13" even if I would mainly use it at home? Or do I have to go back to Windows :(

2. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I would buy a uMBP 13inch. i did and I love it. You have the flexibility of a laptop and can still have OS X. Attach another LCD and BAM, you have a desktop.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

First, love your username. But how to pronounce it??:)

Yes, go get the 13" or 15" MBP. I have a new 15" as my primary at-work and at-home machine. At work, I plug in external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. At home, it's the perfect laptop.

Go with the 13 or the 15, depends on how much you want to carry. But definitely get the aluminum MBP. You will not regret it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I bought the 13inch MBP last Saturday and I love it. It's quite fast and powerful, has a good selection of ports. It's quite nice.

6. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Gilkisson I simply say it's a smiley :)

I've never had a laptop, so I'm confused with screen and actual size. It's so small and the screen resolution is only 1200 by 800 and it looks so fragile. :(

OFC it is perfect for mobility but for serious home work I think it's a little small, besides this computer would be my only one, so more suitable question would be: Is MBP 13" good for primary computer?

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

I write software full time. You don't need much CPU power or RAM to run a text editor or compiler. But you do need a computer powerful enough to run the application you are writing. In my case it's a big database driven thing so I need a fast computer just to shortten my test cycle.

The 13" screen is to small for software development. I like to keep four or more termnal sessions open. I'd get a larger LCD monitor and plug it in while at home.

Paralels needs lots of RAM but 4GB is enough. You need enough RAM to run both OSes at ones. Each can run in 2GB so you are fine with that.

You r uses of the computer are pretty lowe pwered, you should do ok even for light video editing.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The 13 you mention is comparable to the 17 in MBP I bought a year ago. It runs a 23 in HD Samsung monitor without a hitch. My GPU is the "bad" 8600M GT with 512 GB ram and will run the monitor up to it's maximum resolution of 1600X1200.

Dale

9. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Hm.... I was thinking and MBP 13" isn't good option for me.

But what do you think of buying Power Mac G5?

Specs:

CPU: Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    GPU: Geforce FX 5200
    1GB RAM (is there an option to upgrade it?)
    HDD: 80 and 120GB

Price: 600€

I don't know if DDR RAM would fit? I think you could upgrade it to 4GB and maybe I would buy 640GB HDD if it's possible?

The question is if this sistem would be good for me? How fast is the CPU? Hm.... it is worth 600€ how many years do you think this maschine would run? Is it powerfull enought for that kind of tasks I need?

10. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Do you really need a laptop, then? You say you are not going to travel with it.. if that's the case, look at a Mac Mini. Save a lot of Euros.

I still think the MBP is your best option, for both power and convenience. Then the Mini, then maybe an iMac. As a last resort consider the G5. It's a good machine, don't misunderstand, but it is an orphan. You will not be able to upgrade the version of OSX beyond 10.5.x (no Snow Leopard for you), there will be no warranty, no AppleCare, you're on your own. And it is significantly less powerful than the MBP.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You can upgrade the RAM of that PM to 16GB I think. I have 3GB and it's more than enough for everything I do.

But be warned, you won't be able to run HD video on Youtube, and Flash will make your CPU go up to 90%, at the least.

I have that same G5, except with a different video card, and 3GB RAM.

600 Euros is a lot of money to pay for it though. I'd say about $350-$400 AT THE MOST for that machine.

That's like what? 300 Euros?

12. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Well laptop is .... I don't need it actually, for 1x per 2-3 weeks to go to school with him....

For G5 I remembered now that it is not capable of running Windows :( and OFC no warranty.

I found new solution:

Mac Mini:

2,26 CPU
    2GB RAM and
    320GB HDD

Price 1000€

And what I like the most is the fact that wireless keyboard, wireless MM and remote is included :D

Optinal I will upgrade RAM to 4GB for 80-100€ and when SSD-s come mainstream simply install SSD.

I think this is the best option. So I spent only 1000€ and for the rest I can buy iPod classic and aditional external HDD. MBP 13" is then better only for few %%% in CPU speed, but few %%% agains new iPod classic is :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What do you think?

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

600€ no way.

Go for a Mini for that price. The Mini is faster, quieter, has a warranty, will last longer because it supports 10.6 and most likely future versions of Mac OS X and it will save space and energy.

14. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Smile-man, I think I like this one. Remember, you'll need to use your own monitor, and you will need to get a mini-DVI-to-DVI or mini-DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter to go with it, depends on what monitor you already have.

You'll like the upgraded RAM, that's the cheapest performance improvement.

As long as you don't need to travel all over with it, the Mini is a good little computer. And if you do need to move it, it's smaller than many books.

Enjoy it!

EDIT: If you can wait, consider that the Mini might get an update in the next few months. There might be a new model between now and new years. But, if the current model does what you need, go with it.

15. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Well I will use my monitor, it has AS-IPS matrix so it is as good as cinema displays.

I looked on Apple site "what's in the box" and they say you get Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter in the box, so no additional costs for this. :)

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Then you are ready, as we say over here, to Rock and Roll! Well done!

17. :-) thread starter macrumors member

And I ordered it :D

I received a discount so total cost is 960€ and I will probably get SL because I have to wait 14 days for shipment :eek:

That's not bad, despite the fact that here where I live they want 80€ for wireless keyboard, 80€ for wireless MM and 30€ for remote. That's 190€.

960€ - 190€ = 770€

That's funny the "bundle" is cheaper and Mini is just 770€ with 2,26 CPU while 2,0 CPU Mini with no keyboard, MM and remote cost 830€. :p

18. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Congratulations!

Where in Europe (I assume Europe) are you located?

19. :-) thread starter macrumors member

I live in Ljubljana - Slovenia.

Prices here are the same as in USA but instead $ -----> € :mad:

20. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Just one question: Is GPU in Mac Mini the same as is iMac (20" and entry level 24") and MBP (13")?

21. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes.

22. :-) thread starter macrumors member

Why is then on every review Mac Mini marked as "not so good" computer? If I upgrade it to 500GB 7200 rpm HDD and 4GB of RAM that cost me 1150€.

For 1150€ I get the same GPU as in MBP or iMac, the same amount of RAM, better and larger HDD than in MBP, five USB ports, 2 display outputs, same CPU as in MBP and wireless MM and keyboard and remote. And OFC with option to simply replace display and more easily to replace components than in iMac.

But even thoug Mini is market as "bad" and new MBP-s are marked as wonderfull, powerfull, five stars, gold award, no problems with running heavy tasks,...

Why? :confused::confused:

23. weckart macrumors 68040

Because the Mac Mini is positioned as a desktop computer and people are inclined to compare the power and features of this with other desktop computers of a similar price. You expect to pay more for notebook computers and the Mac Mini is offering notebook specifications for a notebook price although it is a desktop. The iMacs are similarly guilty of this to a slightly lesser degree.

Bear in mind, also, that unlike all the other computers in Apple's current range, the Mini is non-user upgradable and if you are going to use a putty knife to open it, you are going to damage the base. That is unavoidable.

I personally like it and have bought three in the past, but it has a specific niche and I would not necessarily recommend it as something for general use.

Since you live in Ljubljana, would it not save you money to take a trip into Austria to buy it? Of course, you would have to open it up in the shop and test it before returning home, just in case.

24. :-) thread starter macrumors member

I cannot opened it? So I stuck with 2GB RAM and 5400rpm HDD. :mad:

That's not good. What did you mean with "and I would not necessarily recommend it as something for general use"?

25. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

You can open them, it's just scary. Speed wise, I'm sure it will be fine.