I'm doing it

RJS9S

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
37
0
ive ben wanting a mac for so long now, im 15 i have my own video production company (check out my site www.session9studios.com ) and am just sick of windows! its time i make the switch. I am placing my order for a standard 2.66ghz model (will add 3gb of ram later on). now i was going to wait for the update but i just cant do it, especially sense im getting it an unbeatable price of 25% off. just wanted to say thanks for everyones post ive ben reading. peace.
 

RJS9S

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
37
0
do you really think there will be updates then? because id hate to wait any longer for nothing.
 

RJS9S

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
37
0
man, this is the hardest decision ive ever made lol. this is alot of money to me which i could be using for my fist car but i gotta have that mac! honestly i dont think there be an update. even if tere is wats the worst that will happen theyll add a gb of ram and drop the price (if that). which by the time they do i would ahve already made the money back from my company.
 

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
1,078
1
TX
man, this is the hardest decision ive ever made lol. this is alot of money to me which i could be using for my fist car but i gotta have that mac! honestly i dont think there be an update. even if tere is wats the worst that will happen theyll add a gb of ram and drop the price (if that). which by the time they do i would ahve already made the money back from my company.
A Mac Pro or a $3000 car? I'll take the Mac any day...
 

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
529
0
man, this is the hardest decision ive ever made lol. this is alot of money to me which i could be using for my fist car but i gotta have that mac! honestly i dont think there be an update. even if tere is wats the worst that will happen theyll add a gb of ram and drop the price (if that). which by the time they do i would ahve already made the money back from my company.
Don't bother waiting...25% off is a great deal. The current Mac Pros are plenty fast, and have more then enough muscle to get the job done, and for a long time.

You would be crazy to take the slight possibility of a new model, that probably wouldn't be much better then the current one, over $600+.
 

RJS9S

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
37
0
exactly, so im not crazzy for getting this machine. didnt want to feal liek i was "jumping the gun" thanks for the help guys and u can expect to see pics of my first mac humble home studio setup verry soon :D:apple:
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
could you wait and still get the 25% off? i now it's hard to wait (patience is still waiting on me), but it wouldn't hurt that much to wait and see, just incase
 

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
1,154
0
North Carolina, US
I know you said you'll be putting in more RAM later, but let me re-iterate that when you do, don't buy it from Apple. Their RAM is extremely overpriced when you can get the exact same stuff elsewhere.

I got my Mac Pro (3GHz octo core) with the minimum 1GB RAM and ordered 4 more 1GB sticks from DataMemorySystems. The other sticks look absolutely identical to the sticks directly from Apple, and they've been performing just fine for over 2 months now. The best part, though, is I *saved* over $400 by going with 3rd party RAM.
 

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
151
0
in the cubicles
oh nos

you really shoulda waited

next march 2009 , they're bringing out a 47 core octo zen death star nuclear powered mac pro with a hard disk so big it will make you puke

or maybe not
 

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
1,617
3
These threads remind me of my sportbike days.

Everyone wanted to get new pipes, bore their cylinders, add special high flow air filters, special Z rated tires, lighter seats, carbon fiber cupholders, all to get that few % of performance...

when they couldn't even ride the stock bike at it's capacity, let alone a modded one.

Few of us here use ALL the power of the current mac pro. Waiting for an update is really not necessary, especially when there is no update announced and no way of know when it will happen. The mac is going to perform either way. I have never seen this phenomenon of "waiting" for the next big thing anywhere else, mac users are quite anal and fanatical about this.

So, you can wait for carbon fiber cupholders, or realize that with a current mac pro, or a new Death Star, you probably are going to do the EXACT same stuff at the EXACT same speeds. This isn't the jump from the G5 to Intel, it's going to be an extra cupholder and some pinstripes.

For all you know, a meteor will strike southern california, and then you'll never get a mac.
 

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
191
0
For all you know, a meteor will strike southern california
we could only hope....:p

i totally agree...i bought my lil guy and less than 4 months later the intels were released...but, i didn't mind. the only reason i'm waiting is for the Tax Free Holiday this Friday...
 

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
467
0
do you really think there will be updates then? because id hate to wait any longer for nothing.
No, don't wait. Get your Mac Pro now. There is no guarantee that the Mac Pro will be updated on August 7. I haven't even seen rumors of a Mac Pro update.

Considering the last update to the Mac Pro was April, the next update is likely this fall or later when the new mother board chipset is in production.
 

AJClayton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
563
319
Dorset, England
These threads remind me of my sportbike days.

Everyone wanted to get new pipes, bore their cylinders, add special high flow air filters, special Z rated tires, lighter seats, carbon fiber cupholders, all to get that few % of performance...

when they couldn't even ride the stock bike at it's capacity, let alone a modded one.

Few of us here use ALL the power of the current mac pro. Waiting for an update is really not necessary, especially when there is no update announced and no way of know when it will happen. The mac is going to perform either way. I have never seen this phenomenon of "waiting" for the next big thing anywhere else, mac users are quite anal and fanatical about this.

So, you can wait for carbon fiber cupholders, or realize that with a current mac pro, or a new Death Star, you probably are going to do the EXACT same stuff at the EXACT same speeds. This isn't the jump from the G5 to Intel, it's going to be an extra cupholder and some pinstripes.

For all you know, a meteor will strike southern california, and then you'll never get a mac.
Nice one, Sean. A very good post and spot on.

Like you, I bought a Mac Pro recently (3 months ago) and the only time I got even remotely close to using its awesome power I was rendering some video footage (which was using 2 cores), burning a CD and carrying on using Dreamweaver CS3 at the same time without any pauses anywhere. Excellent! How much difference will this mystical new Pro make? Not much unless you're the BBC or LucasArts perhaps! :)
 

empezar

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
144
1
would be nice if someone who hasn't bought a mac pro recently AND isn't waiting for a mac pro update could say what he thinks, 'cause currently you can't "trust" anybody here. everybody is trying to justify their own decision to wait or to buy, by making other people make the same decision.

here's me trying to be objective (eventhough I'm here waiting for the update): if you can wait, then wait. if you can't, then buy. an update is just around the corner (even if it doesn't happen until leopard is released), and you will get more bang for your buck, making your computer last longer than the current one, if you wait. nobody can deny that.
 

DZL

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
118
0
Pasadena, CA
it all depends on what you do...

let's face it:

most people don't need a mac pro.

it's overkill for most people. heck, an imac or macbook is overkill for most people.

however, if you work with video, 3d animation on a professional level - then you need a powerful machine - a mac pro, for instance.

I've decided to wait until sept 7th and see what happens - because for me, I hate the thought of paying top-dollar for a vid card that's over 1 1/2 years old. and for a machine that has 1GB of ram standard.

think about that: you're paying for a 'professional workstation' that has 1GB of ram, and a video card that's over 1 1/2 years old.

I just can't see doing that right now. But - if nothing happens on sept 7th, then i'll buy (prob the 2.66 quad), and resell if there's a significant upgrade in the next 6 months.

dzl
 

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
151
0
in the cubicles
with me , it was either another imac ( with all the possible screen issues i'd suffered ) , a mac mini ( now that IS well past it's sell by date ) or a totally OTT pro

blame apple for such an inconsistent mac template

the jump from mac mini to pro is simply crazy , we really need a mid tower to replace the imac asap , especially since we're intel now
 

RJS9S

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
37
0
Thanks for all the replies, I know that i will use the mac pro for what its made for, my current pc is fully maxed out while running premiere pro (3.00ghz 1gb ram). and i should have mentioned the ram i will be buying is from newegg. I guess id rather be safe then sorry so one more week will do.