Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2006
So I sent in my MBP to get the RSD problem fixed... along with the "pitting" of the handrest and peeling up of the topcase while it was there.

Of course... they blame me immediately for all the problems. They claim that accidental "fall damage" caused the topcase to peel apart and that the case was misaligned... which apparently caused bad heat distribution which is causing the RSD issue.

I guess they just pull at anything they can to cast the blame elsewhere... if they don't fix the shut down issue I'm gonna go nuts. Either way this is my last Apple. Dell doesn't treat their customers like this... and they dont't charge 2k either.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
njmac said:
You should sell your MBP and get a Dell.

I'll second that. If you did a bit of research, both problems are issues with some macbooks. You should not have purchased it had you thought the problems would happen to you

Also, if this is enough to make you stop using macs, you probably shouldn't have switched in the first place.

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
they shouldn't be trying to blame you in the first place and i hope you resolve your issues with them. but don't single out Apple as a whole from this bad experience... you just happened to get the short end of the stick this time around

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Give Steve Jobs and email.. Higher relations department should be able to do something about this..

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
I don't see why Apple would not fix the shut down issue, the cosmetic stuff might be harder to convince them to do unfortunately. But there is no reason to believe they will return a shut down prone MBP to you, i think.

By the way, can we see pictures of the pitting and peeling? That is something that has worried me about the MBP as they age (similar to the Aluminum Powerbooks).

I hope this works out for you, I guess different techs are just different techs, some are jerks, some are nice, but some are also nice but become jerks (in your head) when you don't get what you want.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You hit the nail on the head there. If you did spend $2K on a Dell laptop you would actually get an engineer on-site, it'd be insured for accidental damage and it wouldn't be away for a week unless it was something very serious.

This is what makes me hesitant about buying Apple gear nowadays and what makes me take a crack at OSX86 every now and again (no it doesn't work properly, alas).

Lovely OS, pretty but less-than-it-should-be hardware, support service - or the lack of - that defies belief (from this 'used to corporate HP/Dell support' person).

I was reading a post elsewhere where someone was saying that they were impressed that their iMac got turned around in a week. Dell had a misbehaving memory fan on one of the Precisions fixed the next day, on-site. *That* is support I expect for paying Applecare prices, and while I don't mind paying the Apple premium for hardware, despite the superior design I do expect the stuff to be built a whole lot better than it is. My MBP deformed, for Christ's sake.

Which makes me a fool for wanting a Mac Pro, but damn - I really want a good excuse to buy one :eek:

Either way, you've just got to either follow through with pressing for your defective machine to be replaced or refunded, depending on how much you love OS X. The customer service department can be reasoned with, although I had to turn to a lawyer for quick results.

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
that's the sole reason i bought an Apple keyboard and mouse, so that after extended use there won't be much wear & tear done to my MBP, if you want it to be in immaculate condition i'd advise you to do the same

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Sesshi said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Have you tried it?
no, I'm too cheap/poor. It looks quite good from the website (but obviously that's biased :rolleyes: ) what's it like?

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
meepm00pmeep said:
if you want it to be in immaculate condition i'd advise you to do the same
I guess it is unfortunate that to keep it's divine and virgin status, you have to essentially view it from afar and admire. A separate keyboard is a good call, especially if you use some hardcore graphics programs that take advantage of the F-keys. There are adhesive wrist protectors that prevent all our grimey palm grease from getting on the aluminum as well, and iSkin just released a revised silicon keyboard membrane.

Professional Apple machines are really delicate, I hate to say. There may be a reason why Apple uses sturdy plastic on its entry level machines (more likely to see rougher treatment).

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Just out of curiosity, what were you hoping to get from this thread?

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
yah iSkin and the like is a good call if you want to keep your MBP from peeling...

and i use the keyboard a lot with programming and chatting so it's well worth it, than to have wear & tear on my keys, which is inevitable

as for the RSD, they shouldn't question you about it... it's a known issue and any 'genious' should know that

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I find it so funny that when people have a bad experience with Apple, they seem to always have had GREAT experiences with Dell. Whenever someone says something positive about Apple in these threads is automatically "fanboy" :p

Its almost never "I just want to vent", or "I'm frustrated, maybe you can give me advice" its "I hate apple..... and Dell is so much: cheaper, better, better support, better specs, better user experience... and XP really isn't that bad, especially since Tiger is so unstable" :rolleyes:

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Eraserhead said:
no, I'm too cheap/poor. It looks quite good from the website (but obviously that's biased :rolleyes: ) what's it like?

It's actually fine if you want the supplementary features provided you can get booked for them. But as a support boost? *&%$£@# hopeless.

My take is that they should charge more to keep the riff-raff off the Genius bars. Sorry to sound elitist but £80 is an indeterminate figure. Charge a £300 ~ £400 extension per Applecare and get me a guaranteed genius booking on that day with a guaranteed same-day fix, and I'll happily pay it.

This is what I don't understand about Apple support. Dell/HP have options so depending on your critical needs you can request (and pay for) the support you need - and get it! Apple has just the same indifferent, overpriced cover be you a student (no offense to students... well, not much :p ) or someone who actually relies on his IT hardware.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
vv-tim said:
Dell doesn't treat their customers like this... and they dont't charge 2k either.

They don't ????? Are you sure about that ????? You may want to check around to make sure what you are saying is true. I have had nothing but Dells in our house, and IMHO Dells support is no better than anyone elses.

Last time I had a problem with a Dell and called their tech support, they told me that I would need to set all my hardware and software back to its original configuration (as delivered). I said that I had an aftermarket video card and asked if they expected me to swap the video card back to the original. They said yes, but there was no way I could do that as the original video card had fried itself. Of course I should have claimed the fried video card through Dell, but I just went ahead and upgraded it.

On the other hand, I have a refurbished iPod that I just got a month ago. I was having problems upgrading it to version 1.2 Applecare was extremely helpful and did talk me through the problem and I got it fixed with their help.

Some of the generalization made on this site are really unbelievable, not to mention sometimes extremely biased and unfair.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
KevKaos said:
They don't ????? Are you sure about that ????? You may want to check around to make sure what you are saying is true. I have had nothing but Dells in our house, and IMHO Dells support is no better than anyone elses.

Last time I had a problem with a Dell and called their tech support, they told me that I would need to set all my hardware and software back to its original configuration (as delivered). I said that I had an aftermarket video card and asked if they expected me to swap the video card back to the original. They said yes, but there was no way I could do that as the original video card had fried itself. Of course I should have claimed the fried video card through Dell, but I just went ahead and upgraded it.

On the other hand, I have a refurbished iPod that I just got a month ago. I was having problems upgrading it to version 1.2 Applecare was extremely helpful and did talk me through the problem and I got it fixed with their help.

Some of the generalization made on this site are really unbelievable, not to mention sometimes extremely biased and unfair.

It's posts like this that really annoy me over this site which seems to be filled with irrational fanboys. Granted, there are many, many people here I can conduct a fun and intelligent conversation on a variety of topics but apparently not over slighting Apple.

I presume a lot of you have considered Applecare. A lot of you probably went for it. With your previous Dell, did you ever pay for the equivalent-cost service? Because that's what I do always. First-line support is always slightly annoying with any vendor, but if you purchase the extended aftercare services off these vendors you get response times and fix times off HP, Dell and Lenovo which makes Applecare look like a complete joke.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
What puzzles me is how on earth Apple get so many plaudits for their service in surveys. I guess most respondents are home users, who are used to getting the runaround from every manufacturer.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Sesshi said:
if you purchase the extended aftercare services off these vendors you get response times and fix times off HP, Dell and Lenovo which makes Applecare look like a complete joke.
Your Dell support experiences seem to be IT/business related, whereas KevKaos's sounded like a home customer.

The support that Dell gives medium & large business/gov't, business and healthcare customers is different from the support that home customers receive.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
aristobrat said:
Your Dell support experiences seem to be IT/business related, whereas KevKaos's sounded like a home customer.

The support that Dell gives medium & large business/gov't, business and healthcare customers is different from the support that home customers receive.
As I suspected...

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Nope. You can upgrade the service as a domestic user too, and pay about the same as Applecare.

I don't dispute that my fundamental problem with Apple is as a business user, which is any I'll never consider a business Apple machine unless they offer more options in support. But what I said applies just as much to home users as business users. It's just that people have this odd filter when comparing Dell with Apple, even as owners of both. They will, somewhat bizarrely, directly compare their premium piece of Apple kit with a bottom-dollar Dell with no additional support options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.