Im eligible but my girlfriend isnt// LOOP HOLE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PrimeXample, Jun 20, 2008.

1. PrimeXample macrumors newbie

Do you think this would work?

I currently have an iphone on a plan with another line on it (family plan), the other line is currently eligible for an upgrade. What I want to happen is purchase a new iphone for myself at the 199 price and also get another one with the upgrade on the other line also at the 199 price.

My plan is to then take the other iphone and cancel the data plan, but still keep the 2 year contract, and then give the new iphone to an "ineligible" ATT customer (girlfriend) and see if ATT will activate the new iphone 3g on the "ineligible" account with the iphone already in hand regardless of the eligibility.

I hope that makes sense!:D

UPDATE: I spoke with both parties involved (ATT and :apple:) and they both said that could be done. ATT just said dont report the new iphone lost or stolen.

2. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

But what if your wife decides she wants the other 3G iPhone? :D

Seriously, the only question is whether the data plan is mandated. You may be stuck paying the $30 data plan fee for that other line whether you want to or not. I haven't seen a clear statement for the 3G yet.

3. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Ha ha! Nice. :D

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Does this mean AT&T and Apple have some plans to disable lost or stolen iPhones this time round. :confused:

5. PrimeXample thread starter macrumors newbie

The plan im on doesnt include my girlfriend, it is with someone else in my family. My girlfriend is the ineligible one, she is the one getting the iphone 3g thanks to the other person on my family plan deciding they dont want an iphone 3g

6. PrimeXample thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to be so, but I tried to get more info out of the ATT sales person about that topic and they had no information.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My understanding is that hand-me-downs are different from what you actually purchase. If you actually got a subsidy before, doesn't matter if you are using someone else's old phone now instead, you won't be eligible again until after the 2 years.