I'm fed up with my TBOLT Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rogo43, Apr 25, 2013.

1. rogo43 macrumors member

I'm fed up and done with my Tbolt Display. After two weeks in the shop a new power supply and a new logic board and the apple techs combing over my iMac it was hooked up too, Im sending the 27" Tbolt Display back.

Any suggestions on a comparable monitor to get in its place?

Any monitors out there have USB 3.0 or Tbolt built in?

2. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

What a nightmare. I've never heard of anything like this. I guess not even Apple is immune from a bad batch.

3. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

Yea its been a nightmare. I'm not sure if i should risk going and buying a new one from the apple store or just get a Dell or Samsung instead.

4. Giuly, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Both don't have Thunderbolt. I wonder why you didn't replace the display at the Apple Store right away, though, instead of having your iMac's(?) logic board replaced. Also, I have never heard of a story that required someone to bring his iMac in when he had a faulty Thunderbolt Display.

If you want something else, get a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM, which has an USB 3.0 hub built-in.

5. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

if it has USB 3.0 built in, can i plug that into like a MATROX box that are coming out to give iMacs USB 3.0 capabilities via their thunderbolt?

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You could connect the Matrox dock via Thunderbolt to your iMac, and then connect the display's USB 3.0 and DisplayPort connections to it, yes.

7. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome well then Ill be purchasing those two.
    One more question. I have a thunderbolt to DVI box already to connect the monitor to my iMac but is an HDMI one available or even worth it?

8. Giuly, Apr 25, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

9. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

Now how about instead just using the Matrox dock that has HDMI?
    Not the best option?

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

HDMI supports resolutions up to 1920x1080, the 27" Dell has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and requires DisplayPort - but you can plug that into the Matrox box as well, as Mini DisplayPort uses the same plug as Thunderbolt and is compatible to it.

11. LongSticks macrumors 6502

Seriously looking at this!

Seriously looking at this to use for both my MBP and iMac, simultaneously if needed......and even more powerful in Bootcamp!

http://www.lg.com/uk/ipsmonitor/index

12. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

HDMI can handle higher then that, to quote wiki:

The maximum pixel clock rate for HDMI 1.0 was 165 MHz, which was sufficient to support 1080p and WUXGA (1920×1200) at 60 Hz. HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340 MHz, which allows for higher resolution (such as WQXGA, 2560×1600) across a single digital link.

High speed HDMI can handle that native res of the monitor, but if the monitor doesnt have that input then just stick to display port

13. Giuly, Apr 26, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

In theory, yet most monitors and computers don't support anything beyond 1920x1080 over HDMI, and neither Macs nor the Dell display is an exception here. Also, why would you buy a $50 HDMI-to-USB adapter when a $5 DisplayPort cable does the exact same job?

Unless you want to watch 16:9 videos with an image that's larger than 23". Using two computers at the same time on the same display doesn't seem to useful to me either, plus the Dell UltraSharp U2913WM is less expensive if you're into those kind of monitors.

14. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

I didnt say anything about a hdmi to USB cable.. I was simply stating that HDMI is capable of delivering higher resolutions then 1080p.

Yes many monitors cant handle higher then 1080, but many of the new ones do.

15. Radiating macrumors 65816

Just get a replacement display. You wouldn't stop walking outdoors if you were stuck by lightning, and you wouldn't not buy an thunderbolt display just because one unit experienced rare and unusual issues.

16. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

17. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

take it back

I take this statement back.... THis monitor looks nice, but I CANNOT get the saturation, contrast etc to adjust to an acceptable level. the monitor is always either to bright or to dark. Im returning it today. Any other suggestions on a tbolt display alternative?