Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
A friend of mine (well actually the mum of a friend of mine) gave me some old Mac games to sell because they can't use them and they're just wasting space.

Well included in all the software I found a few gems like:
  • Marathon 2
  • Wing Commander III
  • Command and Conquer
  • Warcraft II and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion
  • Myst

I think the most crazy thing is the condition Myst is in. It's practically brand new. I also found a Mac OS 8.0 install disc and have it running in SheepShaver right now (updated to v8.1 of course).

Now all I have to do is find a Mac that can run a classic OS and I'm set.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Oh I loved Myst back in the day. If I'd paid a bit more attention to it I could be a nerd right now, but I moved on and didn't progress to that stage...

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Oh I loved Myst back in the day. If I'd paid a bit more attention to it I could be a nerd right now, but I moved on and didn't progress to that stage...

:D LOL a nerd....I necer knew that game was that powerfull!!!

I used to spend hours playing Command & Conquer back in the day- great game! :D :)

I was always erkiee about C&C till I Dld it for a PC and played the whole thing till five the next day.....after that I was a lil less erkiee about games of that sort of mechanism (i.e. Age of Empires) and some other RPGs

I thought about looking for some games for my MPG4 but as i find most are for TIGER or better faster items to witch my system clearly doesn't have. But that's ok I have not finished Cave Story and besides, with class I only have about an hour to check email and do such b4 I hit the rack!

:apple:

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Have you guys seen the REAL Myst? it is just a basic port over from Classic to OS X but the graphics is a whole lot better and smoother the the original Myst.
but it still has the exact same story line.....

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
HyperCard

The original MYST was done on the Mac first. They used Apple's HyperCard. If you know what you are doing, it's possible for you to play all the cards at once.

Hugh

Have you guys seen the REAL Myst? it is just a basic port over from Classic to OS X but the graphics is a whole lot better and smoother the the original Myst.
but it still has the exact same story line.....

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Ahhh, when computer games were still fun. :)

This is a conisidence, I found my Wing Commander 3 last night while going through some of the boxes I pulled out of storage. I also found my G3 333 CPU I had pulled out of my old Beige tower when I upgraded it to a G4 500, only to later give that and a Radeon 128 to a friend when I moved to a MDD G4 at that time.

I got a Performa 6300 for free on Craig's list the other month, I was planning on getting it up and running to play my old Lucas games.

<]=)

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
if you want to play marathon, go here:http://source.bungie.org/get/

Forget the CD you got. Get a copy of the trilogy from that site that'll run on virtually any system made in the last 10 years or so. Alephone has releases for linux, windows, and os x, and you can download updated graphics and textures.

I played through the trilogy a couple of months ago.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006

Forget the CD you got. Get a copy of the trilogy from that site that'll run on virtually any system made in the last 10 years or so. Alephone has releases for linux, windows, and os x, and you can download updated graphics and textures.

Yeah Marathon is still pretty darn fun to play and with Aleph One it is playable on even the newest computers.

And old Lucas games can be played on ScummVM, another great engine for running scumm games, I think it supports up to Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango used a different engine so its no longer supported by ScummVM.

And Command & Conquer Gold is a free download now and plays pretty good on Parallels.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami

Yeah Marathon is still pretty darn fun to play and with Aleph One it is playable on even the newest computers.

And old Lucas games can be played on ScummVM, another great engine for running scumm games, I think it supports up to Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango used a different engine so its no longer supported by ScummVM.

And Command & Conquer Gold is a free download now and plays pretty good on Parallels.

I just clicked on the link posted by redsteven. My question is this;

A) Is the first row various stages of Marathon.

B) On the second row, this would be the diff. platforms to play Marathon
right?!

C) and at the bottom, there are six clickable windows.....are these scenarios
as well!?

D) I guess Marathon is for free right?!

Also as reading that C+C Gold is free I was wondering if it will play well if not decent on a MPG4 (400Mhz, 256mb, Panther)!?

Thanks!

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I just clicked on the link posted by redsteven. My question is this;

A) Is the first row various stages of Marathon.

B) On the second row, this would be the diff. platforms to play Marathon
right?!

C) and at the bottom, there are six clickable windows.....are these scenarios
as well!?

D) I guess Marathon is for free right?!

A) Yeah that would just be the data files for Marathon 1, Marathon 2 (Durandal) and Marathon 3 (Infinity).

B) That is the engine, you place data files on the same folder as Aleph One and then you just run Aleph One.

C) There are user-made mods, some are pretty fun and well done but I wouldn't recommend trying them until you have finished Marathon.

D) Yeah Marathon is now completely free.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
A) Yeah that would just be the data files for Marathon 1, Marathon 2 (Durandal) and Marathon 3 (Infinity).

B) That is the engine, you place data files on the same folder as Aleph One and then you just run Aleph One.

C) There are user-made mods, some are pretty fun and well done but I wouldn't recommend trying them until you have finished Marathon.

D) Yeah Marathon is now completely free.

ok cool!! :cool: thanks for that info Chone I'll Book Mark the page for later usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.