I'm frustrated with Apple Right now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oojosheoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. oojosheoo macrumors member

So I have a Macbook PRO unibody purchased almost a year a go. And ever since I bought the laptop I noticed the hinges where more lose than my other laptops. It didn't bother me that much because I read around that the first gen unibodies had this problem.

But now its getting to the point where if I tilt the LCD, about 45 degrees, the screen will fall. It feels like the hinges is getting more loose as time goes by. Using my Macbook Pro to take to during my photo shoots, I knew I had to sacrifice a week from work.

So finally I got that call from the apple store that my computer has been repaired. I was excited to get my laptop back and get back to work. But as they where showing me my "fixed" macbook pro I read the notes from the corporate apple repair center that they have replaced the logic board. :eek:

I was very dissapointed to see that they didn't even fix the initial problem. What I dont understand is that my video was fine. I wonder if they even looked at the hinges. The "genius" said I had no choice but to send it back if I wanted my hinges looked at.

Sorry for the long and boring post but I just had to let me frustration out. Should I complain to apple. They probably wouldnt do anything. Hope you guys get better service than I did. Another week without the mac. :(

-josh

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

complain. If there's a local apple store, they may be able to do it in the same day.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

at least you u got a new logic board in there.

4. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I would complain. But hey look on the bright side, at least you have a new logic board!:D

5. trungthiendo macrumors regular

my gf has the same problem on her 2008 15 inch, its the way it was made

and apple fools feed u ******** bout it cause they know its a problem

well its not supposed to be like that, bring it to genius bar show them with their own 15 inch and a 13 inch,

i brought my 13 inch in to show them my hinge isn't like that so the 15 shouldn't

got a repair order for it, good as new, they replaced hinge. Doesn't fall down even if held perpendicular

6. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you guys for the advice. And yes I guess looking at he bright side I did get a brand new logic board :)

I will see if the 2nd time around apple will fix the right part.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I fail to see how they got the 2 pieces of the laptop confused.

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It does seem like they're giving you a runaround. Either they never sent it in, or that was a pretty wild mixup.

Either way, you shouldn't be liable for their mistake. I would write a letter to Apple at the very least while you're getting your laptop fixed.

Also, is there something extra special about the hinges they cannot fix in-store? What's the deal with sending it back to Cupertino?

9. johnrs macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with making a complaint, but do it in the correct way. If you do it in person go with the right attitude and you will be surprised how far you get. If its in writing then again keep your letter professional & polite.

About 3 months ago my iphone developed a GPS fault. Basically it would get a fix from cell towers but not GPS. Anyway I booked an appointment with a Apple Genius at my local store. Also that morning my 15" MBP had a problem and one of the keys came lose.

While in the store and waiting for my turn there was some guy with a MB problem. He was clearly frustrated that his screen was faulty which is understandable but its not the Genius's fault and that guy got the bare minimum back from the Genius because he was being a arse.

Anyway the AG calls me next and I am thinking "great. he just dealt with a total arse and now hes already worked up before he gets to me" Any way to cut this story short, I got a my iphone swapped + and he checked it all over for me to make sure it was in tip top condition (in fact he took the first one back cos it had a mark on the back) and I also got my laptop fixed even thought it should have been a separate appointment.

I have worked in IT customer service and know what it like being on the receiving end when someone is being totally unreasonable and personally blames you for all their problems. :rolleyes:

Just thought I would share..

10. santos79 macrumors regular

11. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

He means hinges. It's not difficult to work out.

But perhaps you can tell me - what is a "pedantic arse"?

12. santos79 macrumors regular

Well he didn't really make clear what he's talking about. The MBP only has one hinge. He might be referring to something different, who knows.

13. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

OP:
    Im taking my 15" late 2008 2.4ghz for the very same issue, the day i got it was like that but have had to use ti practically all the time ive gotten it and its just becoming alittle unnerving to fathom is becoming any looser, even picking it up or moving (sliding across a table) or adjusting the angle of it it feels way too loose than it should.

seriously gtfo, lol.

14. santos79 macrumors regular

Hey, calm down. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

15. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

good morning you guys. hindges?? lol Sorry I admit I am one of the worst spellers ever :( and being that im writing this post with a tablet slate doesnt help. :p

Anyways hopefully ill get the computer back asap and i will take the advice of writing a letter to apple

16. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Ahh but with Mac OS X which is so fantastic and perfect with practically system-wide integrated spellcheck, is that really a valid excuse? :)

17. blurfonz macrumors regular

what the hell? initial prob not even looked at? Darn... complain!!

18. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I wouldn't trust 99% of the hipster elitists that work at the Apple store to replace a battery. They'd probably thread the coin-switch.

A con of being a corporation with a chain of retail stores is that there are compromises made at every step between the top and the store. And there are numerous steps, and also, numerous stores. The only way to keep QA/QC at a high is to have one facility that directly answers to someone who directly answers to someone uber important.

FWIW, even Cupertino makes mistakes. The last three MBPs I worked on clearly had screws protruding out, or had the top case snapped onto the bottom case in a fashion as if they sat on it. The screws near the battery's ass-end are never screwed in all the way after coming back from their repair center.

Providing in store repair service at a chain store almost always results in a bad experience.

19. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Hey, I had the exact same thing happen.

My screen was unacceptably loose, and they replaced the logic board, but they did replace my screen as well. It was tight for about a week, and now it's back to the same old way and has been for almost 7 months. Maybe I should just shove some foam rubber inside the case- that has no possible consequences, right? =)