im getting a free g3 power mac blue one! questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Yes, i am getting a free one..with a power cord and keyboard/mouse and thats it.lol its from a macshop that my cousin works in...(my third mac..first eMac, then 2.16blackbook..now this :)

specs:
    :apple:
    400mhz
    64mb ram
    16mb graphics
    9gb hard drive
    (not sure operating system and cd drive (maybe dvd?))
    :apple:

so what is the maxium ram and hard drive it would support..could i but a dvd drive inside? and what operating system would it have? is this a computer which could be used at all?how fast and what could it run? would it run like iphoto,itunes...and safari?

thanks

and also

i have a g4 1ghz eMac with 256mb ram..what is the maxium ram I could put in? it has 2 slots and same with hard drive?

Thanks for the help!

:apple: ROCKS

and also im exicting cause I get the iphone on june 29th!!!!!:apple:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

the max HD space is 128GBs without a new HD controler, I think that it maxes out at 1GB of RAM. I would suggest Maxing the RAM and either use it for an OS9 machine, which is probably what is on it, or upgrade the OS to 10.3.9 which will run iTunes, iPhoto will not run the most recent version on a G3, but if you want the previous version it will run that.

3. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

so..

was this good for free? and worth maxing out? or no?

4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I recently acquired a B&W spec'd the same as yours except for RAM (see sig) and it surprised me. Granted, my main computer is still my iBook G3. The B&W will support up to 1gb of RAM in its 4 slots, which I would reccomend depending on what you're doing. Mine is running Tiger and considering I only have 240mb RAM, it still surprises me how smoothly it runs. Currently, it's more of a backup computer in the house. So, when the other Windoze computers die in the house not everyone is flocking to my iBook, they can run to the trusy B&W. Mainly, I use it for iTunes, Internet, Mail, iChat, Camera, Word. The simple stuff basically. But for those uses it's more than sufficient. It does what I want and surprisingly it does it smoothly. I plan to do some light photo editing work on it once I max the RAM and upgrade the HDD. Of course, if you wanted you could throw a G4 in there, but I don't think it would be worth it. As far as OS, I would say you're pretty safe with either Panther or Tiger, depends if you want all the bells and whistles of Tiger. Enjoy! :D

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

EveryMac says its worth $100-$200. Up to you if you want to pour more money into it. Remember that G3's will not be supported after Tiger.