I'm getting a " J " at end of some...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boca, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

Just started happening every once in awhile I will get a " J " at the end of a word. Or sometimes separated by a space or two. What's happening and how can I correct this? Thanks, have a great weekend all.

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Is this in a e-mail? A text? I noticed a "J" sometimes in one of those two when my wife puts a :) in her message. It shows up as a "J" for me.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

So THAT'S it! I have been getting those at the end of emails lately as well and wondered what was causing it.

4. Tonepoet macrumors regular

I've spilled great a many a drinks on my iMac's keyboard and it never rendered the keyboard dead, so much as it caused all the keys to type like a jumbled mess.

Also if it's an external alluminum keyboard, you're kinda screwed. In the past I've read that Apple glues theirs shut, rather than using screws or anything like that, so you can't exactly open it to do much of anything. Popping the keys won't help much either and the keys seem rather difficult to replace...

Edit: Wait huh? I guess I was on the wrong track. That's a rather odd and awkward bug... I never noticed it before but I never used mail either since most free services don't offer POP, so you have to come to their site and look at their ads, so yeah...

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It's probably a smiley, rendered in a font like Wingdings, except the font conversions got lost.

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Microsoft Exchange changes :) to a J when going to plain text. It also changes :mad: to a K.

7. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks that's the answer. I checked with the sender and they said they had put a :) once and a :) once. Great feedback folks. Enjoy the weekend.