I'm getting a MacBook soon and I have some questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

    Dec 12, 2007
    Here is the MacBook I'm ordering from the online Apple store...

    White MacBook - $1,299
    2.2 GHz, 1GB Memory, 120 GB hard drive

    Now I am basically getting this laptop for recording music and using photoshop. I figured I don't really need the Pro since I'm not gonna be playing games, and I'd rather have a 13 inch anyways. Will this pretty much handle anything I throw at it? It's going to be my main computer. I'm gonna upgrade to 4 gigs of ram as soon as I get it, and I was told I can save a lot of $$$ without going through apple. I'm also gonna upgrade the hard drive myself. Are these easy to install, or should I have a "Genius" do it for me?

    Heres what I'm considering..
    4 GIG RAM - $99.97
    320 GIG HD - $195.99
    Those will work right?

    Also one more thing.. I know there's a lot of rumors of a new MacBook Pro coming soon, but what are the chances they'll upgrade the MacBook too? Should I wait a few weeks before I purchase one?

    Sorry about all the questions, but this is a big investment and I wanna be sure I'm making the right choices! Thanks for your time! :D
  2. me_94501 macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2003
    I don't see why not. I have a Core Duo MacBook and it handles CS3 just fine.
    To compare the MB vs. MBP, head over to macworld.com and look for their most recent MacBook review and benchmarks.

    I bought my extra memory from newegg.com. You may want to check PriceGrabber and Dealmac as well.

    The MacBook was last updated in November, I believe, so it will probably be another couple months until the next update (assuming a 6-7 month product cycle). As I used to tell my customers at my last job (computer store), buy it when you need it. If you need a new computer pretty much now, go for it now. If you don't, it won't hurt to wait a little longer, but keep in mind that something better is always on its way. :)

    No problem!
  3. briandadude macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2008
    Just as with the memory, you should buy a larger hard drive from a 3rd party as well. You can even swap out 2.5 inch external hard drives if you have any available (I got a 250GB Western Digital Passport for $100).

    As far as buying RAM, OWC and Crucial tend to be most recommended.

    There will likely be a Macbook update between June and September of this year; probably incorporating LED screens and slightly updated processors. However, if you need the computer now, just go get it.
  4. xkRoWx macrumors regular


    Oct 15, 2007
    It depends on your work load with Photoshop. I suggest you to go with the Pro because the dedicated graphic card is definitely better in rendering files compared to the integrated/shared onboard graphic card that MacBooks have.

    As for RAM, Apple made it fairly friendly for self installation. I don't know where to buy RAM because I usually buy it from BestBuy or some local chinese computer stores.

    Thats all I can help, I don't usually follow on any rumors about releases (thanks to that, I bought my MacBook Pro 2 weeks before the Santa Rosa was released and now I'm stuck with ATi 1600 instead of the nice NVIDIA 8600, and bought my iPod Video 30GB 2 days before Classic was released :( ).
  5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies! As long as an updated one isn't coming out within the month I don't care. I would be really upset if I bought one tomorrow, and a brand new one came out next week haha. Thanks again!
  6. me_94501 macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2003
    Actually, insofar as Photoshop goes, the difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro is negligible, according to Macworld's benchmarks:



    Individual results may vary. Insert another random disclaimer here.

Share This Page