I'm getting a used MacBook Pro, how to reset?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wise Potato, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Wise Potato, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

Wise Potato macrumors newbie

It's the late 2011 MBP 13 inch model, and it's on OS X lion.

Question:

How do I reset/format it? And If I reset it will I lose my free upgrade to Yosemite? As in the Mac will restore itself to a very old OS X, that I'm no longer eligible to download Yosemite and have to pay for an inbetween upgrade before downloading Yosemite?

Or should I upgrade to Yosemite THEN reset/format it?

The original owner has no idea how to use a Mac (which is why he's selling it after 2 weeks) and he told me he doesn't know how to format it.

And do I really need installation discs? I heard Macs can be reset without any installation media, you just wipe the HDD, connect to the internet then re-install.

That makes the included recovery discs seem pointless, no? (I forgot to ask him if recovery discs came with his Mac, but I've googled it and I think it should come with it, not sure)

I'm new to Mac, so please help me out.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Firstly no plugging in new hard drive and it just working for a restore, the restore is done by a recovery partition on the old HD you would be taking out. Unless you were to put it in external enclosure to boot from then you could access the recovery from there. Your best bet is to once you have machine access the App Store then download the Yosemite installer and run it when it asks you if you want to install this will put all the required files onto the Mac. During the install when it first starts it asks you if you want to upgrade the machine or gives you the option to use the Disk Utility program to format the drive and do fresh install wiping the machine clean of all information this is the option you seem to want so use it.

3. Wise Potato thread starter macrumors newbie

No no I don't want to change the HDD, sorry for the confusion.

I meant it as in Apple Macbooks have OS X installers included in the firmware without needing installation media.

Anyway, you're saying I should just download Yosemite and "clean install"? Which partition should I wipe though? I think it has 2, I want to wipe both if possible.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

It is not in firmware but on a hidden partition on the HD you can see below with my first drive. Now when the installer starts and you get to the screen where it offers you the choice to use the disk utility program take it. You will see when you select the drive inside the machine not one of the partitions a Partition tab choose that and then the scheme you want 1,2 3 .. partitions on the drive most likely you want one. Look at the Options to ensure it is still GUID partition table. For the formatting HFS+ Journaled and name whatever you wish to name your install partition hit the Apply button when done partitioning. When you quit the disk utility another screen comes up where if you had multiple partitions you get to choose which one to install on if single partition you choose that and it will be used for the install. That is it do not think I have left any steps out good luck on the install and congrats on new to you machine.

Code:
    MacUser2525:~$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
      #:  TYPE NAME  SIZE  IDENTIFIER
      0:  GUID_partition_scheme  *320.1 GB  disk0
      1:  EFI EFI  209.7 MB  disk0s1
      2:  Apple_HFS Mavericks_Spinning  39.3 GB  disk0s2
      3:  Apple_Boot Recovery HD  650.0 MB  disk0s3
      4:  Apple_HFS Sea_To_Do  210.1 GB  disk0s4
      5:  Apple_HFS iMac_TM  69.4 GB  disk0s5