I'm Getting an eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by minicoop503, Mar 19, 2008.

1. minicoop503 macrumors regular

So, I've always wanted a mac that I could play around with, and wouldn't cost too much, so I decided to get an eMac.

I found a local deal for one, and the specs are:

1.25 ghz G4
    768 mb of ram (will probably max to 1 gig)
    40 gig hard drive (might upgrade)
    Osx Leopard
    Combo drive

It also includes Office 2008 for mac and a bunch of other software.

All for 250 bucks.

I'm going to look at it tonight and will most likely buy it. I will probably have pics up after I get it :) :)

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I bought that exact machine almost 4 years ago, and it still runs great. I loaded Leopard on it a couple of months ago, and it is extremely sluggish. I would recommending downgrading to Tiger or maxing the RAM out to 2GB (Apple site recommends 1GB; real world is 2GB). Otherwise, you've got yourself a great machine.

3. minicoop503 thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering about the ram. Wikipedia said something like 2 gb (only 1 gb officially). So, I can actually put 2 gigs in and it will detect it? Thats awesome.

I wasn't too sure about leopard either, but I'll see, and if it is that bad I'll have to get tiger.

4. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

My 1.25Ghz eMac runs great with 1GB of RAM and Tiger. I've never used Leopard, and from what I've read on here, I don't think it's a good idea with a machine of this age/ability.

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Word of warning, though: remember to use your knees when lifting it - they are the heaviest computers in the world.

6. minicoop503 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, well I guess I'll just have to see. I've also seen some interesting thins with overclocking these things to around 1.5ghz. I might give it a go. I'm also going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram, as I've read that these do accept 2 gigs.

Haha, I'll have the guy selling it to me put it in my car :)

7. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah the machines can take up to 2GB of RAM, and luckily its cheap these days so not much to worry about in that department.

Leopard is a complete pig on this machine. I was disappointed because the transition from Panther to Tiger was a nice upgrade, but Leopard kills this machine. It was really meant to be used with the later G5's and the Intel processor.

As for the hard drive, the eMac is one of the hardest macs to upgrade. Make sure to read the guides on the internet showing you how to do it. It is a pretty painful job.

8. stevegmu macrumors regular

While the eMac does have 2 RAM slots, good luck finding 2X1GB PC 133 SD RAM modules. I've never seen any, only 128, 256, and 512.

9. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

The USB 2.0 eMac's (1.25GHz and 1.42GHz) use PC 2700 RAM.

10. minicoop503 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I got it! :D

It really isn't running that slow to me.. What made it a "pig"?

Also, I stuck a 1 gig stick in, and it recognized it, which is good.

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Congrats on getting the machine. They are workhorses and extremely durable. I'm glad Leopard is running nicely on the machine, that extra RAM really helps it out.