Im getting an XP machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timmillwood, Jan 12, 2008.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I currently have a Macbook pro and have been Mac only for the last 4 years whilst in uni but I have just started a new job and got a Toshiba XP laptop which is a higher spec than my Macbook Pro.

Should I sell the Macbook Pro?

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

If you cannot see the benefit of the Macbook Pro and wish to run a non OS X operating system the go for it. ...and by that I'm not letting you off with that choice, just saying you can make that decision. The same way a lemming will jump off the cliff because the other lemmings are jumping...

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm not surprised that a new PC laptop has a higher spec than a 4 year old MBP but IMO moving back to a PC is exactly what it says .... a backwards step .. :(

If you do step backwards, think of all the new things you will find: viruses, spyware, malware, trojans and of course an unstable OS.

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I was given a Toshiba Tecra T3 A year or so ago. It was so bad, I insisted on a replacement Dell!! :eek:

Stick with the Mac and use a virtual machine, or bootcamp. If nothing else, it will show you are multi-skilled when using various platforms, it will keep your knowledge up to date for a modern OS and gives you the ability to keep your hand in the corporate favoured UNIX platform.

Strike a deal with your company - have them keep the Toshiba and for the money they save, ask them to extend your Applecare warranty instead.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I think the 4 year remark was how long he's been using Macs in general not the MBP. I only joined the Mac fold two years ago so I don't know a whole lot but I don't think the MBP were out 4 years ago.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Dohhh ... sorry .. :eek::eek:

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I wouldn't sell the MBP, but thats your call I suppose. Sell the Toshiba. ;)

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

For the record I think you should keep the MBP and give back/sell the Toshiba. The Mac can run both operating systems easily.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Sell the MBP. The mere fact that your even considering it says it all, but you'd better do it soon as its value may plummet within the next few days ;)

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm in a similar situation... Basically, I have a macbook pro and in October my boss bought me a Samsung Windows XP laptop to 'work from home' (yeah right!!!).

Anyway, within 2 weeks of having the laptop at home, it had gotten riddled with viruses (and that was with the university's anti virus software on it).

I would never dream of going over to PC's and disgarding Macs, because Macs are the superior species

11. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Specs don't always equal performance. That being said, if you are having to think about it, that means you might miss it. I'd say keep both, that way you KNOW you won't miss it. :)

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

After switching from mac (performa 636) to windows back in 1998 or so, than back to mac this year, for the life of me I can't see why someone on a mac would be willing to go back to windows. The only reason I can see for owning a windows based machine, (especially with boot camp available), is if you enjoy playing games.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Which is only reason I still have a separate PC, dedicated to games.

Cheers,

14. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been working as a freelance web developer whilst in and since uni from my Macbook Pro.

I love everything Apple and love this computer, but because most of the stuff I do it work the mac will sit unused for 90% of the time.

I cannot sell the work computer because I have to use it with their network & software. I could request using a MBP and boot camp, thus getting them to buy me an updated computer.

I doubt I will ever leave mac and I bet windows will stress me out big time.

I think because I wont need the mac power I may get a new Macbook (Air/Nano whatever?) for home use then the PC for work.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would much rather run Bootcamp then use a Windows computer. Its worth a shot to ask if they can set you up with everything.:rolleyes:

16. king756 macrumors newbie

Which laptop do you use the most.... the MBP or works?

If you use works more you might as well sell the MBP and pocket the money. You can then buy a cheaper MB like you say if you still want a mac or spend the money like any good student on beer.

Don't forget your better speced toshiba will run a variety of operating systems possibly including OS X.

17. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Since you're posting on a Mac forum, it's quite obvious that everyone is going to tell you to get rid of the Toshiba.

Really though it's up to you. If you need the specifications that the MBP can't provide, then definitely keep it. If OSX is a major selling point to you (I know it isn't for me), then you'll have to decide whether or not the "benefit" of using OSX is worth the sacrifice of specifications that every other company but apple provides.

18. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Given that I'm the systems admin and responsible for I.T. buying at work, I can have whatever hardware I want - including the Toshiba laptop that is sitting on the desk in my office. Didn't stop me buying myself (with my own money) a 17" MBP recently and it certainly won't stop me replacing the other Macs I own as and when required.

I also have an iMac on my desk at work right next to the Tosh laptop. Guess which machine I actually use 99% of the time? ;-)

19. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I am in the same boat however I am not going to sell my Mac. What sucks about my situation is I travel 95% so I've been carrying two laptops around. Its a PITA going through security and is becoming an inconvenience. So I am going to talk to my boss which is my friend about just using my mac as my work machine.