I'm getting hitched next weekend, I've got two HV20s and a question.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cr2sh, Aug 31, 2007.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

So I'm getting married next weekend and I have two Canon HV20 camcorders to setup and record the event. The wedding is being held in a shady corner of a rose garden at 1pm on Saturday.. and I want to get opinions on if I should shoot it in 24P or just standard 60fps 1080i?

I'm new enough to the use of this camera that I want some semi-professional opinons and the long term value of one over the other... what do you guys think?

2. prs986 macrumors regular

I'm not too familar with that camera but does it shoot 1080 res at 24fps? if so, I would go with the 24p. I've always liked the look of 24p, very classy, especially for weddings. But if it doesn't, you can always shoot at 1080i at 60fps and convert to 24fps in After Effects, thats if you have After Effects. If you do check out the frame conversion tutorial at www.videocopilot.net Awesome stuff there!

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

One reason to consider shooting in 60i is that it supports the generation of nicer slow-motion shots (compared with 30p or 24p), in case you are interested in that.

- Martin

4. lfielder06 Guest

I have an hv20, but this question is way over my head. You should check out www.hv20.com for more people that might have more experience with this kind of thing. I found it to be a great resource for questions I have had.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Test first, before the day, in similar lighting conditions.

6. JWFerne macrumors regular

I think this is a good quesiton but... dont do it man, run away now while you can! Keep the HV20 for yourself and use it on fishing trips, video's of your drunk buddies, goofy golf moments, Vegas trips etc.

A wedding can only lead happiness, a wonderful wife and hopefully children and if thats what you truely want, then I wish you the absolute best :D

Cheers!

p.s. I'd shoot 60i and convert it later if thats what you want. Give you more editing options in the end, in case you change your mind.

7. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

But I can't convert interlaced to progressive later....?

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i seriously want this camera, its best in its class, just need the cash :) congratulations and hope it all goes well

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm assuming you are wanting to use 24fps to get a more "film style" look to your video unfortunately shooting 24fps is just one facet to achieving that goal. Proper lighting, using film or still camera lenses, proper shooting technique and image manipulation in post production are the other pieces to get the "film style" look. IMO 60i (that's 60 fields per second, not 60 frames per second) is a better choice for a situation like this as 24fps can have "jumpy" looking motion if the camera is not operated properly because of the lower frame rate. There is a reason no network uses 24fps when shooting sporting events, for example.

Lethal

10. fart macrumors regular

11. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed that jumpy look in a lot of the test footage I've been shooting. but in this situation it's going to be set up on tripods, outside, with nice slow pans to and from and that's about it. I'm not looking for anything fancy or over the top.. just a documentation of the event. I did something similar for a buddy a year ago, just setting up two cameras and shooting it.. it came out fine but in standard definition.

That is an answer.. but not to the question I asked. Thanks for adding nothing.

Hiring a professional is beyond the scope of this... quite frankly, there are going to be 15 people at this wedding.. and all I want is a couple cameras set up.. pointed in the right direction and filming. If I payed someone to do that it'd be a total waste of money I think. Plus it would ruin the close knit, family only feel of the event by having a stranger running around pointing a camera in our face.

12. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Best advice yet... I'm out on my bachelors night tonight (just had the ice cream social in a cemetery) and we're hitting the booze hard and checking MR.

I'm going to do some test footage this week and see what I think of the results... a lot of the problem is that while I'm shooting in HD now, I don't even own a HD tv yet... the footage from the cemetery looks. .. ahh.. bad.. but I think its being downsized to 720i via vga in.

Yeh. Onward and upward from here.

13. seany916 macrumors 6502

shoot it in 1080 at 60fps

best of luck on your wedding

post your video and share it when you're done editing it

:)