I'm getting mega-spammed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Aug 26, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

It just suddenly happened. I was out of town and used my Yahoo webmail from someone else's computer (a PC, go figure) for a couple of days, and now my business email is getting something like 4000 spam-mails a day. Most of them are being caught by the spam filter and dumped into the Bulk box, but I still have to clear out tons of crud on an hourly basis.

What can I do?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Mac or PC. I think your email just got spy ware spam atized (if possible)

Use your yahoo! for spam, and make a new one for personal use.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Yahoo address is my business address. If I changed my business email address I would have a huge problem, because all my business contacts out there have it as my contact info.

I think it's something that will have to fixed from the Yahoo end, but I don't know what I can do about it.

My personal email (using Mail) is doing fine. I can send from that application with an email address that mimics my Yahoo email address, but I'm not sure about receiving.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Oh wow, that is very unlucky.

Yahoo! has a customer support telephone line and I believe a feedback service so I guess you talk to them... but that can't help much either. Does spam count as storage using up you gigs?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

does it have anything to do with mac or pc?

anyway, yahoo mail is very difficult to use, no easy to use filter function, and no pop/imap service, so its difficult to set rules, you might have to go through those and marking spams.

However, if you have pop access, just use any email client (Thunderbird or mail.app) to filter and trash junk mails.

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've changed a setting on the Yahoo Mail so that it trashes anything it regards as Spam instantly. I may lose the odd legit email, but it will be a rare occurrence. As for the Inbox spams, those are fewer now, so if I just keep marking them as spam the mailbox will become "trained" to trash them and this whole mess should fizzle out over time. Maybe.

I'd be happy to use Apple's Mail application for everything, except that I like being able to view my mail remotely via the Web.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's intense! I'm glad it sounds like you have it sorted out... I think Yahoo probably also has an "approved senders" only kind of mode, if it comes to that.... At a certain level, I'm very content with receiving, say, ~10 spam e-mails per day (about what I get across all my accounts) + 20-25 advertisement e-mails that I opted into but junk-mailbox because they're low priority (so in my junk mailbox is a variety of Guess, Old Navy, Ralph Lauren, Bluefly, etc, e-mails). At that kind of level of ~30 e-mails a day, I can take two or three minutes to scan through and delete them at the end of the day, and I'm fine with it. But if it got to be a lot more than that, like you're describing, then gah, that would drive me crazy.