I'm getting ready to sell my whole system in exchange for a 2007/2008 setup.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jade Cambell, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I bought a mac pro the minute they were released back in August 2006. I was thinking of waiting until January (2007) to see if they upgrade them then, but I decided not to. I'm extremely happy with my decision, because as you all know, they still have not really been upgraded. So, as MWSF 2008 approaches, with a good chance of an entirely revamped Mac Pro/Display lineup, I'm getting ready to sell my whole current system on ebay, about one week before MWSF, and let me tell you why.

A few things that the new Mac Pro's will certainly have:

An option for a ATI Radeon 2800XT card, or Nvidia 8800GTX (I hope the latter). These are HDCP compatible, and DX10. Everything of the future.

A CPU speed up to 8 core 3.2Ghz, with 1600mhz bus and 12mb cache, according to the Penryn specs. This is a massive CPU upgrade.

It will for sure come with 2GB of ram stock, which means that I won't have to spend any extra money on ram, because 2GB is perfect for me.

A few things that the Mac Pro's will most likely have:

A Blu-Ray drive option.

A redesigned case.

A few things that the new Displays will most likely have:

Bigger screens/higher resolutions for lower prices.

HDCP compatibility.

Built in iSight camera.

Redesigned enclosure.

When I think about all of this, I shudder at the thought of still using my current system after these are released. Is anyone else in the same boat?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

How do you know that they will "certainly" have these new features? Nobody knows, except the people involved in the Mac Pro line and they are under NDA.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

If 2 GB of RAM is all you need for the work you do, do you really need 8 cores for the work you do?

just saying, the upgrade sounds kind of unnecessary to me.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

x2

If you NEED 8 cores, then you probably need more than 2gb of RAM. If you don't need more than 2gb of RAM, then just upgrade your Mac Pro with a blu-ray drive (you can do it now even).

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Exactly.

Also the new Penryn processors are NOT a significant upgrade from the current Mac Pro line processors. They are however HUGE upgrades from older G5's.

6. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

To play Blu-Ray discs in my machine, i'll need the Blu-Ray drive, an HDCP video card, and an HDCP display. I can't afford any of these things, and won't be able to unless I sell my current setup for the price I can get for it pre-mac pro update.

Now, I have a feeling that MWSF will be a massive overhaul to the Mac Pro/Display lineup. I'll be stuck at the end of the previous generation. I mean, we know that it'll most likely have a Nvidia 8800GTX card as an option. That's at least twice as fast as the X1900XT currently in my machine.

I just think it'll be a very worthwhile upgrade.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Dude if you have a Mac Pro it's not worth to upgrade to the newer ones (IF they come out that is).

If you want a 30" ACD, then "maybe" it will have HDCP in the future, but don't bet on it. It is strictly a computer monitor, but nonetheless it's inevitable.

You're better off buying a PS3 and a 1080p LCDTV for what you want to do.

8. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

well if he can get near what he paid for the system..and say he adds a couple hundrend to get the new one, and he gets 8 core from a 4 core. i would say its much worth it. he may not NEED it, but y not keep upgrading to not loose as much money when he sells. doubling the cores for a few hundred much worth it.

thats assuming 8 core is all the mac pro is after the update and saying they have the same price points

9. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

That's precisely my thinking. My system will drop in value by at least $1000, if I wait until after the release of the new ones, so even if I have to pay a difference of $500, not only that's less than the upgrade to the 8 core is right now, i'll be getting a whole brand new system.

I didn't start this thread to ask for advice. I know what's smart, and I know what i'm doing. If any confirmed rumor comes out about Mac Pros at MWSF, i'll be selling my system 2 week before the keynote. I simply started this thread to see if anyone else is doing the same thing.

10. TimJim macrumors 6502a

2gb ram to me doesnt match up with an 8 core procesor. but if it suits you its cool.

11. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I guess I could upgrade to 4GB. I'd be able to afford it since the price of my current setup included a Ram upgrade to 2GB.

12. bld44 macrumors 6502

And what happens if they don't do anything till early next year, or possibly even later than that? You'll be out a system. The update could be new video cards, and that only. Anything is fair game at this point.

13. filman408 macrumors regular

Each core should have atleast 1gb of ram. This will allow the system to fully ultilize all cores when all the cores are truly needed, like when rendering.

14. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

What applications are you using and how do you utilize your current system?

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I would have to disagree. Eventually, and soon, there will be no more Woodcrest CPUs. Apple will have to make a move. Further, 512MB are getting more expensive, the move to higher capacity sticks saves money. Among other things.

To deny that the update will include more than GPUs, is to deny simple logic.

16. henjin macrumors member

henjin

Faster CPU and GPU is possible. At the moment the HP Blackbird 002 with only 2GB of RAM, though two monster Nividia sli cards holds the record for the fastest rig ever tested... gaming rig but it is amazing what 2GB, Extreme quad can do with graphics cards running vista. I was a bit shocked. I expected the MacPro to be at 9.3 not HP.
    Can't say CNET is biased, they have the iMac rated number one of the best 5 desktops due to value and package.

Apple has to step up. macPro line up is now ancient. They will. I hope they change the design.

17. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

And so is the earth spinning around itself again over the course of the next 24 hours.

Faster CPU and GPU is "possible"?

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

:eek: How silly of anyone to question your wisdom! Perhaps a blog (with comments turned off) would serve as a better medium for you to impart your genius on the world. A discussion forum where replies are unwelcome seems a bit silly.

Anyways, I hope Daddy is in on your plan to build your sw33t gaming rig. l33t!

19. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

Fine, i'm sorry. Feedback is allowed. It's just that with the Mac Pro having not been updated for over a year, the new machines will be built of components a whole year newer than what my current one is built of. Not to mention the display, which hasn't seen a real upgrade in 3 years. Apple is definitely prepping the next major design change for those, even if it turns out just to be aluminum and glass like the iMacs.

20. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I agree wholeheartedly. The stability of Mac Pro prices is incredible. If you can do without the computer, then I think your plan is a good one.

I also agree that with a delay this long, Apple might have something up their sleeve. I wonder if it could be more than just a redesign or HDCP*, but something more revolutionary. Either way, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

21. bld44 macrumors 6502

Technically the Mac Pro was "updated" earlier this year with the addition of the 8 core processors. At this point, I wouldn't get your hopes up for all of the things you listed.

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

23. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you only need 2GB of ram, why do you need a mac pro?

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Thanks to Multi, I sold my 24" iMac in late August. Currently driving an ACD30 with my MacBook Pro. It ain't happy about the load but may have to cope until January.

FWIW, I think that I did significantly better waiting until after the Alu-iMacs were released as people generally preferred the matte screen and many prefer the white plastic design (myself included). In the case of your MP, however, I am sure you are right -- the value will plummet.

25. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Can you let us in on your secret?