I'm getting some PowerBooks!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rabidz7, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I am getting a PowerBook G4 17" 1.33GHz and a TiBook sent to me in the mail.
    The TiBook has a destroyed hinge, and the PowerBook has had part of the case crushed, but other than that they work great!

Do not comment on the italic part

I will be trying to OC the 17". I know the PLL location, but not the assigned bits. I'd appreciate if someone would help me find the config in a PM. If I find the VRM, do you think could I reach 2.0GHz? If I can't find the VRM I will go for 1.67GHz.

Top Left image is the 1.33 GHz
    Top Right image is the 1.5GHz
    Bottom Left image is the 1.67GHz

Do not comment on the italic part

Attached Files:

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

No! Christ. Thermal dissipation scales linearly with clock speed and quadratically with voltage. Most wouldn't attempt that in a desktop with modified cooling. This is a laptop. I get that you really enjoy this, even when you end up with a non-working machine, but you should really stop giving this type of advice to others. That guy in the other thread probably can't afford to buy these every week just to experiment.

3. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

MacXtrem overclocked 1.33GHz PowerBooks to 1.83GHz with no trouble. They also had many people in the comments reply saying that they had reached 2GHz and even 2.33GHz.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

They lied. Or were mistaken, using the firmware setting that only makes it report that it is running at that speed, but isn't actually.

And a short-term overclock isn't the same as stable long-term running. There is no way they got a 1.33 GHz G4 to run stably at 2.33 GHz for any length of time.

5. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

What firmware setting?!
    Did you even click the link?!

6. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Woah, no way should someone mess with voltages in a laptop, I've bumped my desktop's AMD 1055T (6core) from 1.15v to 1.4v, which is pretty stupid, yeah, but that was enough to shoot the load temps by 40C.
    (this was only done so I could hit 4.4giggles)
    No not mess with your voltages, especially in a laptop.

7. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Personally, I love how underclocking (and undervolting) has become the new overclocking. If you've followed any of Tutor's posts in the Mac Pro section, you've seen some pretty amazing stuff with frequency and voltage tweaks creating the optimal thermal conditions for turbo boost to run for extended periods of time. Apple engineers could learn a thing or two there.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The same firmware setting that you claim will overclock a Cube's fbus. The same firmware setting that has long been the fool's gold in overclocking. The same firmware setting that is used to trick the Leopard installer into allowing installations on slower G4s. It does nothing at all but change the reported value. There is no speed gain. Zero.

9. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Why is this being brought up here?

----------

People, if you are too lazy to click the MacXtrem link, don't post your assumptions. MacXtrem did the overclocks by soldering jumpers and resistors for voltage.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're the one that brought up the firmware in a questioning way. I replied with an answer to your question. Anonymous Freak was merely pointing out that it doesn't work in a way that is productive. Anonymous Freak happens to be a very well respected PowerPC Mac user, not only on MacRumors, but on the internet as a whole. If he says it wasn't done, it very very likely wasn't done. I, as well as others within this forum, agree with him upon this subject.

11. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Why is this being brought up here?

It will overclock the fbus, if pins in the picture below are modded.
    [​IMG]

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's not the fbus, that is the video bus regulator jumpers. Messing with those will cause the Cube not to boot or kill the video card. Read more about that on CubeOwner. May I also remind you that the Cube's fbus has never actually been overclocked beyond the fake OpenFirmware speed reporting change.

13. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

That's not very reliable. Like anyone can say they reached 2.33 Ghz just to look cool :rolleyes:

Probably brand new they could be somehow overclocked, however these machines are old, pretty old, don't think they can survived overclocking

14. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I think the 2.33GHz was a troll, as it said that the voltage was not modified. However, the 1.83GHz overclock has pictures, benchmarks and was done by MacXtrem.

----------

Well, then I will need to know what the clock chip is so I can get a datasheet.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good luck finding it. Hint: It doesn't have exposed user configurable traces because of how the Cube was designed not to be upgraded over its design lifecycle. In stark contrast to many other PowerPC Macs, it was purposely limited by Apple and rather doomed to a stunted production life.

16. Goftrey, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Every rabidz7 thread;

1. rabidz7 asks ridiculous question.
    2. People answer with unfathomable patience.
    3. rabidz7 gets pissy because he doesn't get the impossible spoon fed to him.

Rabidz - do your self a favour and actually just enjoy the laptops as they are & forget about sticking your mitts in places that they really shouldn't be. You may actually get somewhere that way.

17. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

OK, then stop talking about the overclocking. Just talk about the PowerBooks in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.