I'm Getting the blue Screen of Death for no reason

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Apr 13, 2008.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

I was installing an addon onto Audio Hijack pro and when it said to log out it acted frozen, so I shut down my computer and turned it on, and then the screen shows light blue, then dark blue, then light blue, and then shows me the blue screen of death and I have the latest version of leopard.

I really need to use my computer so if anyone is able to help me that would be great.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

BSOD on a mac? Grab your install CD/DVDs and pop them in, follow the on screen instructions to repair.

3. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

you mean my disk repair stuff like Tech Tool Pro or do you mean the Mac OS X Leopard install disk?

And do you happen to know what could of cuased this to happen?

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

OSX Leopard install disk.
    I don't know specifically but in future try Force Quitting the application first - will save any unnecessary cock-ups. . :)

5. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help and for replying really quickly.

man this is like the 4th time I had to do this, the last one was over a kernal panic and before that anotehr type of blue screen of death. Man this sucks. v_v

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Heh, never happened to me. *touch wood*. :D
    Edit: If you don't know it already - learn the command to force quit applications, it's a god send!

alt cmd esc

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's no BSOD on a Macintosh, generally a BSOD includes a message that tells you that your computer had a problem and tells you what to do, that's in Windows, not the Mac. Macs only have kernel panics which is when the screen turns dark grey asking you to hold down the power button or restart.

Any blue screens you got are from the program that you installed. Since you have been having issues I would highly recommend to reinstall Leopard using Archive and Install. This will reinstall a new system folder while maintaining your settings and programs.

Try the repair disk first as mentioned by Evanlugh and if not then do Archive and Install and don't install that Audio Highjack program yet until you fully test your system.

8. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Well like it wasn't frozen, just when I had to log out for this addon to work , it didn't log out it was just stuck there

Hmm, i wonder why the Audio Hijack addon caused that blue screen of death then, it makes no sense. Does it start doing that when I have too mcuh programs or could it be that Audio Hijack pro was outdated for that mac version and it just couldn't work?

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Are you using version 2.8.1? If not this version was to address crashes involving Apple's latest security update. If you are using 2.8.1 then I would consider the above recommended options.

You can fill up your hard drive to the near maximum and it won't cause problems. Sometimes it's not the actual software (Hijack Audio) it could be another program on the system conflicting with it.

10. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not sure I will check, but it didn't seem to want to crash though, it was when I added that addon that doesn't make you ahve to quit the program and get it back up in order to hijack it and it caused it for some reason.

And what program could conflict with it to cause that to happen?

EDIT: I just upgraded to it i Originally had 2.7 I bet that is why it could of done that.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well the add on could be the issue then, you may want to check and be sure it's Leopard ready in terms of 10.5.2. Conflicting programs for example are haxies to create a new look and functionality of the Dock, themes to change the UI such as shapeshifter or APE.

12. jentel20 macrumors newbie

black screen of power pic

hi
    i have tiger os
    i try to install xp over it
    it requires that i have the bootcamp.pkg
    i didn't have it on my os 10.4
    so i install it from the internet
    i try to install it on my mac '
    "like only on 10.5 leopard "
    so i insert the disc of 10.5 inside and i make regular install
    he instal untill 100 percend and give a messgae " there was a problem "