I'm getting very excited for Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Aug 11, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Who's excited for Snow Leopard? For me, the extra speed boost is going to feel great. I can't wait to use it! I haven't pirated it or used any beta versions of it, so it's going to be a surprise to me.

However, I'm getting very antsy to try it out. So it doesn't have any crazy new features... that's okay because I love Leopard as it is already and the improvements to the Finder and Exposé are going to change the way I use my computer currently.

I like how Apple has changed some of the UI in Snow Leopard... do you think they'll get around to changing the scroll bars and progress bars this time around? They're still using the same ones from Mac OS 10.0. It's time to refresh them!

2. bakerster macrumors regular

imo : it's a very underwhelming upgrade... my computer isn't that obscenely fast. maybe I should do a complete backup from the beginnning...

oh god thats so much work.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Where is this boost, exactly?

Just search "Illuminous scroll bars" in Google and change them. I've had these nice matte ones since Tiger; I'd never go back.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you used 10.6? Start up, shut down, opening apps etc. is all a lot quicker in 10.6

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Snow Leopard runs a lot faster than Leopard on my MBP with only 1 gig of ram. there is less active ram use and no page outs (normal use). i also experienced next to now graphical slow downs on my aging x1600 chip. also it might be the free space but the boot sequence felt faster as well.

so from my experience i will say its faster.

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

And according to some reports this is even more noticeable on the Air. This is why i am more looking forward to install SL on my Air rather than my pro.

I am also looking forward for how SL handles Pdf documents (e.g. the copy function)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, yes, yes, yes, I thought he meant Grand Central Terminal's use in a specific application or something with OpenCL. I knew that the slimming meant for less RAM use and faster boot/load times.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing to demonstrate OpenCL's speed boost. SL is a bit faster on my MBA, but nothing to write home about.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok we are on the same field. Grand Central and OpenCL are peculiar to me. i know what they are and how they help developers but where is it (rhetorical)? will it make things faster? i guess thats what youre trying to say.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm more excited about Snow Leopard than I was about Leopard to be honest, and I'm tiring of Leopard - yes, it brought some much-needed improvements but I don't think it's as bulletproof as Tiger was.

Hopefully Snow Leopard will be seriously refined and sufficient in the desktop space for anything up to a few years until something more revolutionary comes out. I haven't seen the developer builds, though, so I could have already had my hopes dashed and not even know it.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that's it. I mean, for one, I assumed that they'd wait for Snow Leopard to be released before launching Aperture 3, Final Cut Studio 3, Logic Studio 2, and Shake 5 (not happening), making all of them Snow Leopard Only. But then they went and released them NOW...

I don't get it. Will there be a point update to those suites only for Snow Leopard that adds better multithreading? Will we have to wait two years for Final Cut Studio 4 and Logic Studio 3 before we get native x-numberofcores support?

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm pretty sure my Mac Pro will run a little bit faster with Snow Leopard. Especially since Apple has been optimizing Snow Leopard for Intel and ditching all that old PPC stuff. It's leaner, meaner and awesomer.

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

A few things...

I'm loving the new Exposé and Dock.
    The "put back" function in Trash will be nice
    The Finder now has preferences to Search the Current Folder by default (YES!)
    UI is more refined

Also, I thought Grand Central works in the background to distribute various tasks to different cores, but since it's built into the OS, it works across all apps. Right now, the app has to be written for multithreading to do that right?

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I can't wait for SL either but:

1. Apple should have always had the "Put Back" function (It shouldn't have taken over 6 versions of an OS to get that).

2. Probably the most ANNOYING feature of OS X was when you're in a folder and go to search it and searches your entire drive. The SPOTLIGHT icon is there to search my drive, when I'm in a folder obviously I want to search the folder.

And the UI change seems good and subtle. I hope 10.7 will ultimately look as good/robust as OS X 10.0 did when it came out. I'm not a fan of the iTunes scroll bars as they look dull/old school computer-ish.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Unlike what a certain blog post says, Mac OS X was designed with multiple processors in mind. Whether they be multiple cores or actual multiple processors. It has an SMP kernel.

The issue is that to take advantage of multiple processors, applications had to be written specifically to do so and that was not simple to do. There are no simple OS tools to do this.

Grand Central Dispatch is designed to provide a relatively simple way for application developers to take advantage of multiple processors. However, current apps will not take advantage of Grand Central Dispatch. New versions will have to be developed and released specifically to take advantage of Grand Central Dispatch.

In other words, just installing Snow Leopard will not make applications multithreaded nor will it improve the speed of apps that are already multithreaded. At least not because of Grand Central Dispatch.

S-

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

SL is exciting, but not so much if your graphics chip won't allow much improvement.
    Like my 1.2 year old MB with the x3100 Intel.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Has anyone been using the SL builds for any lengthy period of time? I'm wondering how a several-month-old install of SL stands up against a several-month-old install of Leopard.

The reason being - every time I install OSX, my Mac gets faster. I'm beginning to wonder if it's less to do with more efficient new OS's and more to do with the benefits of a fresh install of any OS.

18. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

My excitement is half broken every time I think of waiting for all the apps to work with SL. Hopefully there will be a non-working applications thread :D

19. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I think they should update them. Make it a glossy version of the iTunes scrollbars. The ones iTunes has now are ugly, but a little sheen and they would look great. But it's not gonna happen so don't hold your breath.