I'm glad ive got a defective screen!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by phatboy, Sep 23, 2007.

1. phatboy macrumors member

.........dont get me wrong, having a defect screen is a bit gutting. The blacks dont look great and videos are pretty poor at times.

But look on the bright side people! Youve got a reason to claim on the warranty!
    I can treat my iPod how i like for however long i like and still take it back and get a brand new one!

I can quite happily let my friends have a play with it without worrying if they drop or scratch it because i know i know i can just take it back to the apple store in a few months and get a brand new one with another 1 year warranty :)

i may even wait 10 months to take it back. think about it though - how long will this iPod last you before something breaks? My 5G is broken after 2years.

So if i keep my week 37 defective screen touch and take it back after 10 months of use i get to have another touch which is BRAND NEW for free :)

i dont really mind about the screen - i probably wont watch any films/videos because i have a laptop for that! The only thing that looks a little bad is when browsing in cover flow. But its not that big a deal!!!

so yeah, im glad ive got a defective screen, gives me an excuse to claim on the warranty and hopefully have an new iPod whenever i want one :)

p.s. im in the UK and YouTube isnt working?? any ideas why?

2. sananda macrumors 68020

don't know about that. i would say that by not returning it now and keeping it for several months you are accepting the defect.

3. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Thats so optimistic. I doubt if I got a defective screen I would be pleased. :D

4. uburoibob macrumors regular

Yeah, go ahead and throw it across the room. Go ahead and drop kick it. Spit on it. Spew on it. Apple will take it back - or will they????

They've not even OFFICIALLY acknowledged the problem. Unofficially, through Walt Mossberg, they've said they are working on a fix.

Wouldn't it be funny if, after you've nearly purposely destroyed your iPod, the fix turns out to be firmware or software??? We've seen that we can make it look perfect by adjusting the media. What if Apple finds it can do the same thing in software for the LCD.

I think you've got a wonderful idea, and I think that you will get exactly what you deserve with a post like this!

Bob:confused:

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Dude, it's a hardware problem as we can all tell. If it was a software fix, then why didn't apple do that instead of losing money by accepting the returns. My newer ipod touch that I just got doesn't have the screen issues, but it's the same Firmware as my other one, which did have the issues. I don't see why we have to keep going over this crap.

You do what you please with ur ipod. but when you take it in and it has scratches all over the back, all over the screen, the negative blacks are bad, a couple dents in it, and ur wi-fi antennea doesn't work, and they don't accept it back, then that will be an expensive mistake on ur half. Good luck with that...

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like the optimism, but I am not certain your logic is correct. More importantly, how pissed will you be the second you find out they can fix it with a software update?
    I say treat it like you have to keep it.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Umm... how do you know Apple will give you a NEW one and not just repair your screen. If they repair your screen, then you're still stuck with a scratched up back and whatever else damage you've done to it.

8. caMi macrumors regular

I don't think Apple will give you a new iPod in a few months..

Don't they hand out refurbs at that point? Also isn't your warranty only good for 1 year, and if you get a new iPod that does not mean you get another year.

I think the OP's logic is a little bit messed up. Seems like he is rationalizing with himself so he can feel better about his expensive defective product. :rolleyes:

9. iShak macrumors 6502

you forgot .. muhahahahahahahaha!

anyway .. yeah I guess you can abuse the warranty policy like that .. but I'll read the small print if I were you. not recommended.

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Even if you have a bad screen, if there's obvious abuse they won't repair it. They'll just tell you it's the result of abuse. Well unless you get a very nice Genius. :rolleyes:

11. dagored macrumors 65816

I'd be willing to bet after 10 months they would take it back and fix it. Now you have to wait. Granted, if something else fails you are covered, but I doubt that after 10 months they give you a new one.

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

In the UK you only have the protection of the reversed burden of proof for 6 months. After that you have to prove you didn't cause the defect and it gets harder.

They're within their rights to offer a repair if they want to. The law isn't *all* on the consumers side.. because as we see in this thread some people like to take the smeg.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's been dead (on and off, mostly off) since friday.

14. McCord9 Suspended

I just returned my week 37 to the fifth ave apple store. The genius I scheduled an appointment with at first looked at me weird when I said my screen was defective, but i already had the jay-z album image loaded in safari. I didn't need to say anything else. When I was discussing the problem with them however they tried to avoid admitting it was a known issue even though they looked it up in the genius base for confirmation. Shiny new 38 is the moral of the story.

15. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yeah I don't think it quite works like that. It's difficult enough to get customer service (whatever the company) to admit to a problem as it is... if you've been kicking it around, they'll just claim it's abuse.

16. RyanG macrumors 6502

It's not software or firmware. I have the same software and firmware as a week 37, but my screen is perfect. Same with tons of others.

17. phatboy thread starter macrumors member

I agree with what a lot of you guys have said in reply.

I bought my iPod from a reseller in the UK. The employee that served me had also got an iPod from the same delivery and he told me that I could just bring it back after a couple of months and get a new one. He told me that it didnt matter if the back was scratched or anything like that.

In my original post I made it sound as though i was going to trash my iPod on purpose. This isn't want I am going to do. I like to keep my iPods as new as I can for as long as I like. I'm actually quite obsessive about it at times.

The guy that sold it too me said that the store would just replace it for me. he said that i could send off for a repair but it took a lot longer and wasn't necessary.

So yeah, im gunna keep it for a couple of months and go and make sure that I can definitely bring it back to the store for a new one with a working screen.

About the warrenty: Are you sure I wont get another year with the new one I will get? Because im getting a new one from the store, apple dont know when I purchased my first one?? how do apple even know how long you've had your iPod unless you register it???

18. dagored macrumors 65816

In the US, you need your receipt. No questions asked. Without it, I do not know. If the reseller give you a new dated receipt, no problem.

19. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Phatboy, if the store you bought it from said you could take it back if it had the bad screen, great, but be careful all the same. I know at least one person who has taken his defective iPod touch back to an Apple Store in the UK and been told, categorically, "No."

No refund, no replacement, no waiving the restocking fee. Apparently it "works as intended".

So, good luck, but just take it back NOW.

20. owen-b macrumors 6502a

I saw a 'perfect' 37 today with my own eyes. It had the effect, it was just very slight. But it was there.

21. phatboy thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i think im going to go in and just make sure that they will give me a new one. They said they were going to get their next batch (of 50) in til the end of the month, which im guessing will be around the 28th. Hopefully that delivery will be all week 38's or later and the screens will be fine.

22. Tommyzors macrumors member

Seriously, I dropped my touch after I made the call. And even when the genius saw the crack he still took it back. Ofcouse since the touch is so new theres no refurbish stock, but if there is I would have been given a refurish and not a brand new. I think I got real lucky that they took it back with the crack.

23. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Be very, VERY careful on this issue. I had a bad screen on my week 37 touch (bought when a 3G nano had a tilted screen). Took it back to the store, talked to genius who (after a lot of mucking about) compared it to the demo units to prove that I didn't have a fault but that was just 'how they were'. And by mucking about I mean: I suggested he load the demo content they use in stores on my model for a direct comparison. He goes away and takes half an hour to do so. Why? Because he loaded ALL THE MUSIC ON FIRST! God, ten seconds of thought would have saved us twenty five minutes if he'd just unchecked all the auto-sync options and done photographs first....

After taking it home again and testing for a couple of hours I found a chunk of movie (Disney's own Cars ironically enough) that was basically unwatchable on the Touch with the negative black issue (the scene when they go 'cow tipping'). Back to the Apple store, showed it to a sales assistant who immediately confirmed it was faulty and that she just had to show it to the tech guys then do a swap out...

Five minutes later she's back, the tech's looked at it and (drum roll please)... it's not a fault, that's just how they are. They DO have a faulty one in the back and this isn't showing the same fault, you just need to tilt it to a 40+ degree angle to view blacks properly (despite this being WAY more than the angle the included stand holds it at). Also, they didn't have any in stock so couldn't have replaced it anyway. Oh, and it's also my fault because I didn't encode the video properly (despite it running perfectly on every other device AND every photo I had loaded on the device showing the same effect). In other words they were trying every flipping excuse in the book to deny responsibility despite the first response from the sales adviser (and two others who I showed it to on the way to get a refund) all saying it was faulty.

Ended up refunding and getting another nano which... has a tilted screen :mad::( So have to go back YET AGAIN tomorrow to just try and get something that's been screwed together properly. The really annoying part is both the nano and touch are FANTASTIC products. Seriously, the nano is the best music player I've ever used and the touch is in a category all on it's own (until the iPhone comes out in the UK anyway). But the build quality is appaling and, for some reason, my local Apple store is making it really difficult to get a replacement. The cynical part of me is thinking it's because they KNOW that the current batch are all faulty and would rather get them out to as many people as possible now rather than burning through stock on replacements when they'd all come back in.

Maybe I'll pick up a touch in Toronto when I'm over there in a few weeks time... But to the original poster, I'd personally say you'd be better off taking it back now and seeing what the reaction is. If they give you any grief claim a refund under the 14 day cooling off period and buy another in a few weeks time.