I'm glad MBA's were not refreshed this week.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Because I think I've finally come to my senses. I have a 2012 MBA 13" that I will be giving to my Mom once I get a new laptop. I was set on getting a 2015 11" MBA supposing it even makes it out. I got to thinking how many times I actuality travel with my laptop. Not one single frickin time since 2012 when I bought it brand new. It has a comfortable desk job. The furthest my MBA has been is an occasional trip out of my bedroom to another part of the house.
    I was looking at the rmbp in BestBuy the other day and I was like wait a minute, this thing beats the **** right out of the MBA in every single way pretty much. I can't believe what a misstep I would have made in choosing the MBA over the RMBP. I haven't been keeping up with the MBP Retina timeline so I went onto Macbuyers guide and see that the 2014 MBPR has been out for quite a while. So now I will be waiting for the 2015 rmbp. Hopefully no longer than April but whatever. I'm just happy I caught myself in time. I'm not saying the MBA is bad, its a fantastic laptop but the rmbp outshines it so much more in my opinion.

Thanks.

2. Woochoo macrumors 6502

13" rMBP = 13" MBA + retina, nothing else (in similar price range talking). If rMBA comes out, it will be similar.

Anyway, if you plan to wait for a rMBP then be ready to wait till summer at least, because mid-high end Broadwell CPU's (used in the Pro's) won't be ready till then, and that if Apple doesn't go straight to Skylake (which would be waiting till last months of 2015). Haven't heard nothing like Intel had in its roadmap to release the CPUs used in the MBP's in April or before...

3. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thanks for this. So if a rmba will supposedly be using the skylake processor then that's damn near a year away. Yowtch! Way too long. If they release MBA's with a spec bump I still don't care because I want retina. If the next release of the rmbp is in summer it will have the new broad well chips. Is that enough to justify holding out for the current model because its not going to be a major upgrade, and to possibly get a discount? What else will the 2015 rmbp have. Tell me more.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If ytou are going 13 inch...

Then I see broadwell processors being the only difference. So 5-10% CPU boost 10-20% GPU boost, a vague possibility of USB C thats it.

If it is used as a desktop then just get a 21 inch imac it'll give you more of everything for a similar price (make sure you get at least a fusion drive) and keep the air for any travelling.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the consensus is that Apple cannot and will not wait for Skylake. They will be rolling out a Broadwell based rMBP.

6. Woochoo macrumors 6502

No, you misunderstood, the rMBA is probably going to use Broadwell but who knows, Apple is Apple. What might happens is that Apple skips the rMBPs to Skylake since their supposed Broadwell processors come almost at same time than their supposed Skylake processors (those last ones, maybe some months later).

So about the MBPs, we could see a summer release with Broadwell with nowthing new (not any significant change, Broadwell is almost the same as Haswell) and then a Skylake release the 1Q 2016, or we might see a Q4 2015 release of Skylake MBPs if they finally have ready the CPU for the 15" MBP.

7. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for more clarification folks.
    I am seriously thinking of getting a base 15" rmbp now. They are on sale now for 1799.00. I can get it from B&H, or MacMall tax free. How long do you suppose the sale will last?

8. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Just take it now that you can. If broadwell comes out soon, it will be the same. The worst thing it can happens is seeing a good Skylake release in October (or similar). In that case, if you want the new stuff, you can also sell it for a bit less you paid for and pick the new ones.

9. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Woochoo, I think your right! I am going to buy it tomorrow more than likely.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Broadwell is a die shrink, and it will offer a small increase in performance, bit more battery longevity, and a better iGPU. All in all, depending on your needs, waiting until mid summer may not be feasible. I'd say go and enjoy your computer now :)

11. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Maflynn. I really wanted to buy at the Apple Store here but 2 hunny in savings plus no tax and I'm wording online probably. And Of all things this is the week my bank decides to close on Saturdays!
    I can't wait to feast on the 15" beast.:)

12. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

The 15" rMBP is an awesome device! It runs amazingly fast and smooth. I definitely don't regret a single penny I've spent on this machine. It's the greatest purchase I've ever made! I have no doubt that you will enjoy yours when you get it :)

13. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks DiCaprio, its one time I wish the weekend was over so I can put money in the bank to buy this thing, ha ha.

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

I don't get it. You have a 2012 MBA so why not just wait?

I have a 2011 MBA with a cracked screen so right now I am using my iPad to browse the net and hooking up my MBA to my TV with a Chromecast when I want to stream movies.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65832

If you were originally considering an air, then even the current generation rmbp will be a massive performance step up and I doubt you'd see a noticeable difference in whatever comes out for broadwell. :)

16. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I plan on giving it to my computer-less Mom.

17. Kendo macrumors 68000

Nice gesture. At the very least I would wait until after the March 9th Apple announcement. What if the 12" MBA blows you away?

18. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Fair enough, but I really don't want to miss this sale that B&H, and MacMall has. I can't get it until the 2nd of March anyway. Hopefully it stays! I am interested in what the new MBA has to offer, but the MBPr really is more desirable for me from an audio production stand point which is what I mainly use it for. Or try to anyways ,ha! I had a 2011 MBP 15" first before I decided to go to the Air. The Air really did surprise me, and It's absolutely fantastic, but I really do miss the 15" screen, and the raw power.

19. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Welp, I did it. I will have a brand spanking new 15" rmbp arriving Thursday of next week! Thanks for the input mac folks. It's appreciated as always. I can't wait to long. :eek: