Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelumpya2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Because It's less than a year old, It's never been "tested" in the sense that I've never dropped my phone or beat it up in anyway, and it's falling apart. The rubber around the jack point is falling right off the plastic frame.

I don't even take it off the phone very often.

anybody else having this issue?

jthomp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
My wifes bumper is pretty much trashed. It sits on my desk, as she uses an old case I had. Now, her phone was "tested", but never on hard surfaces. She says from constantly going in and out of her pocket is what she thinks did hers in. I dont' know. I prefer hard[er] plastic type cases...

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yea, mine is starting to wear. So what? The bumpers work just fine and they refunded me for the two that I had bought. Can't argue with the price. :rolleyes:

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Because It's less than a year old, It's never been "tested" in the sense that I've never dropped my phone or beat it up in anyway, and it's falling apart. The rubber around the jack point is falling right off the plastic frame.

I don't even take it off the phone very often.

anybody else having this issue?

I had the exact same issue. I was going to the Apple store last weekend on an unrelated trip and decided to show it to them. Just like everything else Apple sells they have a 1 year warranty as well :) Not only got a new one but got to choose a different color!

thelumpya2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
I had the exact same issue. I was going to the Apple store last weekend on an unrelated trip and decided to show it to them. Just like everything else Apple sells they have a 1 year warranty as well :) Not only got a new one but got to choose a different color!

interesting, I guess i'll drop by the store and see what they can do.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I had to take the bumper off the phone to plug it in to charge while at work, and over time the rubber at the bottom came away from the plastic frame. So I left it off for a couple of days, not quite getting round to putting another one on (that a friend gave me after his car accessories didn't fit his iPhone 4 with the bumper on), and what did i do? Drop my iPhone on the drive. Luckily it landed on the metal frame and only a tiny TINY little chip in the top corner of the glass front. When I got back home, I put the 2nd bumper back on! Yeah they aren't the best, but agreed, I'm glad I got my £25 back for mine!!!

pac

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I haven't had any problems with my bumper. I got it as part of the free case program and it still looks great.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Mine ended up scratching up my iPhone's rim and then eventually just broke in two where the plastic wore. :(

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm glad for this post!

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
i constantly install and remove mine... every time i know i'll be stationary and tethering or when at home, i'll remove it if it's on. i got mine free with the phone back in september and i have yet to encounter ANY issues with it. havent drop tested it either.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
The bumpers are under warranty for 1 year, if the rubber on yours is separating bring it into an apple store and they'll give you a new one for free. I'm on my second bumper now and it's falling apart, will be taking it in for a replacement this weekend. I posted a long time ago in this thread about the same issue:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1025635/

OMGbrandon

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Miami, FL
The bumpers are under warranty for 1 year, if the rubber on yours is separating bring it into an apple store and they'll give you a new one for free. I'm on my second bumper now and it's falling apart, will be taking it in for a replacement this weekend. I posted a long time ago in this thread about the same issue:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1025635/

Works like a charm. You could prolly even change Colors lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.