I'm glad no new Mac Pro has been announced.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3587, Jul 2, 2010.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Since I purchased my 2009 Mac Pro the day it came out, I feel like every day that goes by without a new one announced, my purchase feels more worthwhile... When a 2010 comes out, mine will be old, right now, it's still the newest!

Just my perspective on things :)

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

But you bought it on the first day...

Your feeling about it is a bit.... silly.. for lack of a better word

3. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is that a bit silly? I feel like I'm getting all my pennies worth out of this product... I purchased it the day it was released and no updates since... I'd say I'm getting pretty good use out of this product...

No one likes to purchase something and have an upgrade a short time later... In my case, a long time later :)

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

There are people with Mac Pros from 2008 and earlier (hell, even Power Macs). They're enjoying the machine for its full worth.

Are you implying that they wasted their money for buying a machine when it was new back then?

Mac Pro's aren't really intended to be replaced yearly..

So that's why i think it's "silly"

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why would the usage you got/ are getting from the device be any different if a new one came out? :rolleyes:

You're not one of those "the new ones out! This ones an obsolete junker!" people are you?

6. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing to do with that... I'm just saying that most of us 2009 owners are just fine with Apple not coming out with a new one yet... My dollar is going far between releases is all...

Silly for those that are holding out for a new one... When they should've just bought the 2009 and then they could concentrate on other things during their day ;)

7. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Very true.
    My main machine is a 2006/2007 Mac Pro 1,1.
    Came with 250gig harddrive… 1GB Ram, GeForce 7300 GT…

Upgraded over the years to Radeon HD 4870, 4 X 1.5 TB drives; 12GB Ram.

I love my Mac Pro. Not least for the fact it has helped me earn a living while living quietly under my desk. :D

But, yes, I will be upgrading to a "new" Mac Pro. In the meanwhile this old trooper is doing me well.

8. keewe macrumors member

erm... how would YOUR situation change if the new one comes out? is your machine getting slower as soon as a new mac pro is available? pointless thread :rolleyes:

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I dont get this thread. Your Pro doesnt get any slower when a new one is released. Unless you dont care about power and only care about having the new shiniest toy.

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

OMG you mean there are newer pro series macs than my G5 - Holy cow now its suddenly slow and rubbish I must buy a new one immediately or my head will fall off.....

sorry for the sarcasm, but I never understand the whole - I have a 2009 and now there is a 2010! seems silly when a pro machine (any make) is an investment in order to increase/create productivity - if its doing that then who cares if a newer one with an in-built espresso machine comes out a month later?

(for the record - my G5 is doing just fine for the things I need it to do). Sure I would 'like' a nice shiny new Mac Pro; but for me (like many others I assume) I don't 'need' one.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That is a little silly but I suppose it's nice to have the newest thing for a while.

Hope you realize an update will not diminish your own machine, even if it does flare up your WantsTheNewestThing-itis.

12. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

*wonders if the OP buys a new car every year*

13. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you iBlue... This is my point exactly... I wish others weren't so slow on the uptake! Geesh people...

It is nice to have the newest for awhile... Makes the purchase worthwhile... I enjoy buying something and not having it go old right away... Like spending $3000 on a new MacBook Pro, only to have one twice as fast come out just months later for the same price! Get my point people? Or should I draw a picture while I'm at it?

Yes, I do buy a new car every year along with a new iPhone... What's it to ya?

:)

I WANT THE LATEST AND GREATEST!

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man if the OP feels this great about the 2009 Mac Pro, I wonder how great the 2008 Mac Pro buyers feel. :)

15. keewe macrumors member

i suppose u dnt even need a mac pro ^^
    anyway... have fun with your ownage machine;P

16. yezza macrumors regular

Haha, nothing wrong with that. I have the 2008 MP so understand, but I still love it and still performs great :)

17. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

If you have a 2009 you SHOULD be fine without a 2010! 16 months ago when it came out I didn't really need anything new. But now my hobbies have changed a little and the ole' G5 aint cuttin' it!

You're silly for thinking that, we who would like to update an aging or obsolete computer are silly for not wanting to pay TOP dollar for a 16 month old machine with overpriced parts!

If I had an 08 or 09 I'd be happy. And I've looked at them but the late update of the 2010s are keeping the prices of the 08s and 09s up there which is good for some and worse for others.:rolleyes: WTF :apple:???

18. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

That in itself defeats these claims that the "old decrepit" 2009's have no value. If they were the price would be going down far faster.

Some folks seem to want to play the same game for Mac Pros as you play with American car vendors. You hold out on buying a new one till the end of the year and then go in and haggle the salesperson to the mat for the absolute minimal price for the car. That primarily works because the vendor has made 1,000's more cars than they can sell and now has to dump inventory. So toward end of year get flurry of finance deals, special sales, etc. Vendors like Dell have falling into that same trap of yearly sales where have to push largish quantities through small windows in time. After a while it builds up into a negative feedback cycle where more and more folks don't buy anything because waiting around for the small discount window.

The other approach is to make as many as you going to sell and set one price for the whole year. Yeah the parts prices fluctuate over the year the vendor smooths that out in the pricing so it is stable. This also has upside that selling product throughout the year for Apple. For a business it means you can pick what quarter you want to buy something. It will be roughly the same price no matter when. Sure at some point during the year the components are going to change but if keeping the machine for 3+ years that was going to happens several times over the lifetime of the machine anyway without diminishing its value/utility.

19. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This statement makes little to no sense... The 2009 are out... That makes the 2008 obsolete in a sense... The 2009's are still the cream of the crop since the 2010's haven't been released... Get it yet? I think you get more bang for the book the longer it takes something newer than what you have to come out... Just my thinking. Mainly why I buy something the day it is released... It just lasts longer...

20. the editor macrumors regular

can only speak for myself here but its not is if i'm dying to get the new MP, was in the market for one and when it comes it comes. only reason are not buying the 2009 at the moment is a) why buy when a new one could be released soon. b) the price is nuts and the hardware is kind of outdated...i mean a 60$ graphics card in a 4000$ computer :rolleyes:

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

It makes perfect sense to me because the 2008 mac pro buyers didnt lose any performance compared to the bad buy of the 2009 model. So in this case they get a whole lot more use/life out of their 2008 models. It makes absolute perfect sense.

22. Roman23 macrumors 6502

The 2008 is still a wonderful machine due to..

EFI64 as when new video cards come out, you will be able to use them. I had a 3.2 ghz mac pro 2008 harpertown. I really loved it and would have done anything to still keep it, but because of a few issues it is for this reason why I traded up to a 2009:

ODD_PORTS - used for mac os x only.. req hack to work in windows - waste of time.
    VT-X is disabled.. despite the fact I have called Apple and explained to them that the 1.3 firmware update should have addressed this problem, but failed to do it. sometime in the next few months a new firmware update should resolve this, or not?

Again, a great machine.. but the firmware is crippled as to why I moved from it to the 2009.

23. Roman23 macrumors 6502

not true

if the OP makes use of the odd_ports, this is my only concern as they aren't useable in windows.

24. Roman23 macrumors 6502

What about this..

"If you have a 2009 you SHOULD be fine without a 2010!" - just recently traded up my 2008 3.2 for a 2009 2.66 and just got down upgrading the processor(yes, this can be done) to the max 3.33 i7-975 or in xeonese: w3580. Am I immune here also?

25. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Are you aware of the following limitations?

1st lim: Odd_ports can't be used in windows or any other non-mac enviornment. For that, you need to mod the MBR and even then it may even blue screen you in windows. However, on the mac side odd ports work great.
    2nd lim: Do you need vt-x? vt-x is DISABLED on the 2008 mac pros.. the only way to enable it is by going into mac os x and then starting windows that way. IF you cold boot into windows, it won't work. I had addressed this with Apple's engineering and while the mac pro 3,1 firmware should have fixed this, it didn't. While Apple did recreate the problem, i highly doubt that they will produce a firmware update for their mistake.

3rd lim: PCIe 1.1 in the last two slots. If you need all pcie 2.0, you need the 2009 mac pro.

The only thing going for the 2008's at current is the fact that if any EFI64 based video card comes out, you can make use of it just like the 2009 and 2010 when it comes out. I don't think EFI128 is coming out anytime soon, at least on the mac side. By then the mac pro may even be EOF(nanofrog circa of when this may happen: 2013-2014).

So, yes the 2008 mac pro is an excellent machine.. and with 8GB FBDIMMS at 800mhz, you can expand the total memory to 64GB, going beyond 32GB. Harpertown/seaburg chipset actually supports a max of 128GB of memory.