I'm going nuts for not being able to solve this Illustrator mystery.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 66217, Oct 3, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

So I had a lot of free time today and I started playing with Illustrator creating various documents with different page sizes.

And then I thought I would measure a document size at 100% zoom, to see if it was the same size I had selected when creating a new document.

For example:
    I created an Illustrator document with these measures: Width: 2 inches, Height: 2 inches.

And then I zoomed 100% and measured the black square. and to my surprise it measured: Width: 1.3 inches, Height: 1.3 inches.

Why? Does it has something to do with my display setting?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

But that shouldn't be affecting the measurements, should it?

Because I changed that and I still get the same.:eek:

4. mania macrumors member

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I want to say there's some way to identify the screen resolution, though, so that you see images 1:1... hmm.... in at least some versions of Photoshop, there's a preferences setting to define the default screen DPI for new images. But I'm not sure how to define the DPI for old images.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

With my ACD I have to view Illustrator (and other) documents at about 140% to see it "actual" print size. Almost all applications are the same way.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, now that I think about it, this is probably also the reason why MS Office is difficult to use at 100% on a Mac and looks more or less like it does at 100% on Windows when it is at 125% on the Mac....

8. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

100% refers to screen pixel preview, so will vary from monitor to monitor. Great for previewing screen based graphics, never accurate for print.

9. stuntborg macrumors newbie

When you say "measure" the object, do you mean hold a ruler up to the screen? I don't think it'll ever accurately match up that way...