I'm going to buy a Mac Pro, should I wait some more?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rlnhrt, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. rlnhrt macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    #1
    I decided some months ago that I need a Mac Pro, I waited some time because I didn't have the money, and later because I was expecting a price drop when the 8-core was available.

    Now the 8-core is out and no price drops, do you think we'll see a price cut in the Mac Pro (with 2 dual-cores) anytime soon?, or should I buy now?.

    Are the Woodcrests really cheaper now than some months ago? or there is really no reason to think that Apple is going to lower the prices.

    Also I guess that with Adobe CS3, and FCP (or wathever Apple is going to reveal at NAB), the Mac Pros sales are going to increase without the need of a price cut, but I don't know.

    What do you think?

    (sorry if I don't write correctly, english is not my first language :p)
     
  2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #2
    Probably because the "good resale value of macs" is not true anymore with the Intel Macs and whenever Apple releases a new model, the existing machines should decrease in value. The "good resale value" was true only with the PPC Macs.
    I recommend waiting until NAB and see what happens and if you are going to be using Adobe CS3 or FCP 6.
     
  3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #3
    I think you're wrong there on the resale value of Apple Macs, I've not noticed much of a drop in price on ebay for example. They are still holding their value, after all, what else can you install OSX on on equally sexy/reliable machines from the windows world?
     
  4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #4
    Then why is the Quad PowerMac G5 more expensive than a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro in the US refurbished store? The PowerMac G5 is older than the Mac Pro and the Mac Pro is better equipped.
     
  5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #5
    I think if you need the machine now, purchase it. The current Mac Pro line will be great for years to come.

    If you can wait a little, try and hold off till NAB & WWDC. By then we may see a few more updates to the Mac Pro and Cinema Display line.

    Bottom line, if you need it now. Buy it.
     
  6. wongulous macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    #6
    I wouldn't expect price drops or incremental speed increases until July or later. I'd buy now. The drops/increases would be trivial compared to the benefit of upgrading right now.
     
  7. rlnhrt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    #7
    well, i have many projects that I have to complete this month, but i still can use my iBook G4 some more time, I could wait until NAB, but definitively will not wait to WWDC, so, what are the real chances of a price cut in NAB?
     
  8. shawnce macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2004
    #8
    IMHO I expect a Mac Pro with a new chip-set, expanded Xeon build options (dual and quad core at various clock rates), and better video options sometime summer 2007 (northern hemisphere).

    I wouldn't expect any real changes to the Mac Pro or its pricing before that time.
     
  9. dupedd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #9
    I'm asking the same question here....8 core release and no 4-core 2.66 price drop. What could NAB offer that will make it worth waiting? I know I can't wait for June.

    2.66 Mac pro refurb, here I come!....? Is it time to pull the trigger!?
     
  10. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #10
    Exactly, I was about 6-8 weeks away from pulling the trigger on a Mac pro, but I want the machine to last me well. I'll be waiting for some more updates to the system..Fingers crossed for WWDC, August at the latest - I cant wait too long.
     
  11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

    atari1356

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    #11
    I wouldn't be surprised if they updated them at WWDC, but I wouldn't expect anything before then. Plus by waiting until then you'll probably get Leopard and the next iLife release.

    But, if you can't wait until then, buy now.
     
  12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

    TheAnswer

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2002
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #12
    Until CS3 is 1) shipping 2) in designers hands 3) their workflow has been brought up to speed, the G5 machines will hold that price level (because pros that need those machines now (emergency breakdowns, etc) will buy them...however, once the designer community starts switching to Mac Pros and CS3 native, those G5 prices will drop.
     
  13. jamericani macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    #13
    With all these upgrades coming, all the rumors and speculations i couldn't take it and just bought the computer. I chose to buy the cheapest model b/c i can upgrade it myself. I have under $2200 in my Mac Pro. However it has an extra 500gb hard drive and 4Gb of ram. I did alot of shopping around and talking to alot of people to find these deals. All the parts were new and sealed. Heck i got my 4Gb individual sticks for $100 each and sold the 2 512's on ebay last week for $140. Genuine apple ram. If your on a budget, start small and work up. These things are upgradeable.
     
  14. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #14
    Yeah, sorry but the resale value of the Intel Macs is as strong if not stronger than the PPCs.
     
  15. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

    Cult Follower

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    Location:
    North Dakota
    #15
    do you need it now or not? if yes buy if not don't buy.
     
  16. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #16
    You use 1 Macintosh as your evidence for suggesting PPC Macs hold their value compared to Intel Macs. Didn't I suggest you look on ebay to see how it is working?
     
  17. osx-linux macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2007
    #17
    Pull the trigger. I just did, 2.66 mac pro will be in my hands in a few days.
     
  18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #18
    I think you may have pulled the trigger a tad too soon :mad:

    That said, I have a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro here and it's definitely the dog's bo**ocks :) :) I'm well pleased, it's the best Mac I have ever owned.
    FJ
     
  19. dupedd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #19
    why do you say "too soon", Father J? I'm just itchin here...
     
  20. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #20
    Because of the 8 core Clovertown processor Mac Pro now available (but only if you are rather rich !! :eek: )

    FJ
     
  21. smirkingboy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    #21
    wait just a leeeeeeeel bit longer

    gonna wait, myself. money is burning a hole in the bank and its haaaaaard not to pull the trigger on the octo. but:

    1. nab is in just two weeks. there may be something additional that comes out then.

    2. theres been a lot of talk about the redesign of the case. particularly about a top-venting system (presumably one that doesnt let you spill your coffee right into the innards). remember the heat troubles with the first G5s? these 8-cores might run a little hot too, and end up underclocking.

    3. those chip price reductions might well impact the mac pro prices this summer.
     

Share This Page