im going to buy the wacom tablet and need help deciding

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by tztop2006, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tztop2006 macrumors newbie

hello, id like to get a wacom product im just a hobbyist drawer i been trying to draw with a mouse for manga studio, im not the best but i want to get better at drawing shading and to make my own manga even if i dont sell it. i been using a mouse but it just sucks i prefer pencil and paper but dont have a scanner. i wanna go straight to digital art. my problem is i always wanna get the best i can afford i was thinking of getting the intous4 large but is it worth 500 dollars. or if just drawing manga is the bamboo fun better or will just the medium intous4 just be fine. im torn between intous4 medium and large, but i dont wanna take the bamboo fun out of the equation.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've used the Wacom Intuos4 Medium before and I found it to be very nice. There's definitely enough room to draw on it and it is very customizable. I would recommend it :)

3. tztop2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

how big is the medium compared to normal notebook paper because i want it to not be a hard transition. i know theirs many forums about the wacom product but its all about photoshop i dont care much about photo editing is it great for drawing as well because no one gives much information about the art side.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's not too much smaller than notebook paper. The drawing area of the Medium is 8.8" x 5.5". I'm borrowing my friend's Intuos right now, so here are two comparison shots for you.

Attached Files:

5. tztop2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks i was gonna overpay for large but it seems stupid if medium is just right size, hopefully with the tablet i can make better art maybe even good enough to sell.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you're looking to save even more, the Amazon marketplace has some refurbished Mediums here. My friend ordered it from Calumet :)

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The large is very large. Too big for most people actually. I would suggest the medium wireless version. Its roughly $400, $30 more then the wired medium version and its excellent. Its the best wacom I've owned.

8. tztop2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought of that but i dont have a blue tooth connection

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The tablet comes with a very long USB cord, so wireless really isn't that necessary IMO. A tablet isn't something that you're going to move around very much, typically.

10. tztop2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am buying from amazon but im scared to buy anything furbished i dont want something that wont work.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Calumet is very reputable, and I'm using the refurbished tablet right now and it works great. If it doesn't work out of the box just send it back and get a replacement, but I doubt that you'll get a lemon. And with the refurbished tablet you still get a warranty.

12. tztop2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

it would be nice to get it cheaper, get accessories for it.

13. mBox macrumors 68020

As a Motion Designer/3D Animator I thought the X-large was the best one since I had dual 30's.
    I was wrong. It was too cumbersome and requires a big deskspace to even get comfortable.
    I traded with another for the Large and honestly the Medium would have suffice.

14. dipm06 macrumors member

i had the intuous4 large, but sold it for the bamboo medium. i miss the intuous4, but the bamboo does everything i need it to do. check out my youtube channel for unboxing/review.

15. degl macrumors member

degl

I have Intuos4 in the office and the Bamboo Fun Touch in my house, is you´re looking for something cheap and functional go for the Bamboo is enough for drawing from amateur to medium pro, but for really serious work go for the intuos4.