I'm going to get a Mac... Which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xXxS1lv3rxXx, Jan 3, 2010.

1. xXxS1lv3rxXx macrumors newbie

Today, while I was recording/mixing/editing my guitar on my PC, then it crashed. I lost all my data I had been working on. Not only that, I had to get on the line with HP and Microsoft to fix the problem. Anyway, I would turn it on and it would tell me to enter safe mode, then I would and it kept crashing and wanting safe mode again, it was an endless loop of Windows Hell. I am going to get a Mac now. I am 14, so I don't get money as much as an adult would because, well, I don't have a job. I had a job, but had to quit because school started back. I now have roughly $284. Almost $300. I don't want to get a PPC Mac, because I want compatibility of Snow Leopard. But it looks like that's my option. I need one with at least 1GB RAM and around 100GB Hard Drive to store GarageBand Recordings, school stuff, iTunes, etc.

Bottom Line: I could get an iBook or PowerBook, or I could wait and get a Mac Mini, or wait a long time and get a MacBook.

Suggestions?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Snow Leopard isn't that great. A Powerbook should be fine.

3. xXxS1lv3rxXx thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true. But I'm scared that 10.6 is the complete end of PPC based macs, and when 10.7 or OS 11 rolls out, it will be completely amazing, and I will never be able to upgrade again because it's PPC. Then OS X vs OS 11 will be like OS 9 vs OS X is today; extremely outdated and feature-deprived.

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

But by the time those things happen, chances are that you'll have a job and be able to afford a new fancy Mac that will run the OS better than any Mac (new or otherwise) would be able to run it today.

5. akbc macrumors 6502

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, PPC is a dead processor.

I've been a mac user since the Mac Mini G4, going through quite a few macs... So hopefully I'm eligible to give some advice on PPC vs. Intel

And futureproof wise, I'd say go Intel. Even the first gen Core Duo macbooks can be had for little bit over $500 if you do some search on local craig's list or something. Upgrade the RAM and HDD along the way the usage, and you'll be fine.

You're 14 and I'm sure you'll keep the same computer until at least you get into college or so, so first gen macbook isn't a bad choice looking at roughly 3~5 year usage.

And being a student, portable machines can never go wrong. You may do some projects here and there in high school or something, and my laptop has helped me through my high school and university in various projects.
    So, in that sense, with Mac Mini, you'll find yourself regretting not getting a portable machine.

Buy a portable machine, hook up your current monitor when you're at home for dual-display for the ultimate workflow. And you know you have the machine on-the-go whenever you need it.

So, the bottom line: iBook - Absolute no, Powerbook12/15 - Possibly if no other options are there, first gen macbook - definitely yes (good budget, good enough power)

Hopefully I won't get bashed by all the PPC lovers, but hey, if Snow Leopard doesn't work. You always have the stable 10.5.8 Leopard :)

6. akbc macrumors 6502

7. xXxS1lv3rxXx thread starter macrumors newbie

True :). A while back I bought an Xbox, and I wanted to sell it on CL to get some extra money, but my parents sounded pretty opposed to the idea. I still haven't played it :/. I looked on my local craigslist to find an intel core duo macbook, but they were 600-700 dollars. Are there any websites (not ebay) that sell these macbooks? Like PowerMax? But cheaper?

8. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, just be careful on Craig's list at your age... Your sellers might overlook that you're still a teenager and stuff. If you can, bring your parents along or big brother or something. Make sure to inspect all the parts of the laptop before purchasing it.

Same goes to selling your xbox, too. As long as you be careful and bring an adult or don't act too teenager-ish (lol) then they'll take you seriously and buy/sell stuff without much problem.

As for the prices, just keep looking around. The used shops are ALWAYS more expensive than the personal sellers on craig's list or something. You'll hit $500~600 sometime if you keep on looking. While you're looking, keep earning money by doing chores or job... Then you'll have your very own first mac soon :)

I'm sure you're in a hurry with your current computer being broken down and all, but being in a hurry while making an important purchase may lead you to an impulsive decision leading to a possible regret. Do the research, and be patient and you'll do fine :D

G'luck on your mac hunt! Hope you find the perfect mac for you :)

EDIT - with CES2010 being around the corner and possible update to current macbook line from Apple, the used mac prices will eventually fall during Jan-Feb time, trust me. So be patient :)

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would say craigslist would be your best bet. Just check it daily under computers by searching for mac and/or apple. Deals can be found.

If you want one now with 300, you could spend 100 or so and get a dual Mirror Drive Door powermac. The max ram is 2gb and you can put a couple HD's in it. That would allow you to play around with the OS and see how you like it, while saving for a more current one.

The good thing about buying a powermac G4 is they have really hit the bottom of their pricing from my research. So if you buy it now for 100, you could get the same price if you sell it later when you upgraded.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I love Snow Leopard.

I would suggest getting the Mac Mini. Sure its not the fastest thing but it'll still be faster then a PPC based machine.

11. ecualegacy macrumors regular

Concur on the mini as best value for the budget. You can get a decent refurbished mac mini for $500 + tax at the Apple website. They come with a fantastic warranty and support for 1 year. They aren't always available, but if you watch for them, they eventually show up.

Forgive me if I tell you stuff you already know here...

A word about Snow Leopard. It is a nice OS with some nifty features (I love the Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces), but remember that nothing is perfect. I've had my iMac 21.5" for about 6 weeks now and it has needed a reset to unfreeze it about 4, maybe 5 times. Yep, I'm taking it to the Apple store to be evaluated on Thursday.

There are some odd quirks about Snow Leopard as well. For example, there is no cut feature in Finder (Mac's analog of Windows Explorer). You have to drag and drop files to move them. Also, the windows have to be resized by dragging the bottom right hand corner. I could go on, but the bottom line is you can probably get done what you need to on a newer PC with Windows 7.

On the other hand, I can promise that you *will* get used to mild the oddities of Snow Leopard. Just give it a little time. And you won't have to worry nearly so much about viruses and spyware. You can always buy a copy of Windows and install it in Boot Camp if you absolutely need windows to run something. Finally, I can say that it is good to be in the club ... of Mac owners I mean. We're an enthusiastic group that loves (and sometimes hates) our computers. But you'll always find help around here.

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i say get the new white macbook [​IMG] such a good device and if you take secondary school discount off it is like £500 which is about $700 which i know is a bit more expensive but in my eyes a PPC is dead and give it a year or 2 and you'll need another, whereas with the white macbook, you would just upgrade ram and HDD and it would be much more futureproof