I'm going to install iOS 8 Beta 1 one more time

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Armen, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is what I observed the first 2 times I installed it in DFU mode and setup as NEW iPhone:

- the phone runs hot
    - the wake button doesn't always wake the phone up
    - Battery percentage does not change when put on charger.
    - Appstore location services is always on

Does anyone have any tips for the issues above? I am seeing that some of you are reporting it as stable. Just curious.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can't really help or explain those. The one time I installed it for a day I simply updated my iOS 7.1.1 install and I didn't run into any of those issues--I of course came across many of the beta 1 bugs that have been reported, but nothing really to the level of strange stability (aside from an occasional app crash or a respring, which isn't out of the ordinary for a beta), battery, or button/hardware issues. The App Store seems like a bug, but it seemed like I was able to turn it off where I didn't see the location arrow most of the time (although at times I would see it just initially when I would first wake up the phone) and didn't experience any side-effects from it, like more battery usage or something like that.

While it's not unusual to have some differences with what people end up with after their installs, it seems a bit more varied and widespread with this first iOS 8 for some reason.

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Explain this in detail?

4. chumps52 macrumors regular

Last point is a known issue "When Location Services is turned on, the device’s current location is used to recommend relevant apps on the lock screen. In this beta, this happens whether or not the App Store is enabled for Location Services.
    Workaround: To disable app recommendation on the lock screen, turn off Location Services."
    (Source: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/releasenotes/General/RN-iOSSDK-8.0/index.html )

Other than that I am using an iPhone 5 and used DFU to set up as completely new, no backups etc., nor restoring from iCloud (although iCloud is enabled) and I haven't experienced any of them.
    Have you by any chance dropped the phone etc.?

5. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Phone has not been dropped. Works perfectly fine on iOS 7.1.1

Not sure why my experience with Beta 1 is a bit off compared to others.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just went with the simplest/laziest method--got the iOS beta 1 IPSW file and used Command + Update button in iTunes to allow it for me to select which file to use for the update and let it do the update right on top of iOS 7.1.1 that was on my phone without resetting anything or putting the phone into any special mode.

7. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I installed it as a restore but synced my latest backup, not exactly an upgrade but it isn't fresh either.

My phone ran insanely hot just after the restore, throughout the data restore and a few hours afterwards. After that it calmed down and hasn't been a problem since.

My home button/power button pretty regularly won't wake up the phone immediately but if I give it a few seconds and try again it normally works.

Mine charges alright, not sure about that one.

My appstore location service is always on as well but it doesn't appear to impact battery enough for it to affect me day to day. Interestingly for me it also doesn't honor the location services settings at all since I have the AppStore service completely turned off.

These are niggly things but for a first beta I would accept those and still call it stable. The OS itself hasn't been crashy at all, I haven't had a single OS crash, which is much better than iOS 7.

8. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Hmm I put my phone in DFU mode which only gives me command + Restore. Wonder if it makes a difference.

----------

I'm sure it's reporting the battery percentage incorrectly. I left work at 46% battery. Charged it on the 30 min drive home and it was at 46% still...:confused:

9. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Have you tried rebooting?

10. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Reboot did not help much honestly.

11. Armen, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I'll be damned. I did an update instead this time and everything appears to be stable.

this is the first time where an iOS upgrade resulted in a better deployment than a DFU clean install.

12. curiosity macrumors regular

When the device won't wake up, just press and hold the power button as if you wanted to turn it off. Then hit cancel, and hopefully the lock screen should work again.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I attempted to simply "upgrade" my 5C and it didn't work.....got stuck on the last loading screen.

Also had an issue when I DFU restored, installed iOS 8 fresh and tried to restore from backup after the fact.

Only thing that worked was a clean DFU restore and install of b1 - and from there I've had some small issues - mainly pertaining to mail - but haven't experience any of what you mentioned, except the heat issue on certain occasions.

14. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

as I stated above I actually did a upgrade instead of a clean install and its stable now..so weird.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, this is rather odd indeed. I guess the main thing is that it seems to be working better...but still odd. Let us know how things are over the next few days (to see if anything stranger/worse than the more typical beta 1 bugs still comes up somehow).