Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
So I can finally be able to easily tell which side of the iPad is the "top" and won't have to keep searching for the volume controls.

I know you are thinking that the Home button does that too, but when using my iPad in a dark room, I can't see the home button and I'm always feeling around the edges for the volume control or the on/off button.

Here is how my iPad looks in the lighting conditions I use:

ipaddark.jpg

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I know you are thinking that the Home button does that too, but when using my iPad in a dark room, I can't see the home button and I'm always feeling around the edges for the volume control or the on/off button.

Is this going to be some kind of revolutionary and magical glow-in-the-dark black bar?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Is this going to be some kind of revolutionary and magical glow-in-the-dark black bar?

No, but the contrast between the black bar and the silver rim around the iPad will make it stand out pretty easily I'm thinking.

See the following picture (front shot, not back of course)

apple_ipad.jpg

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
What ^ said, Plus plastic feels a bit different than the aluminum, so being able to feel the difference in a dark room would make a huge difference in the time it takes to orientate yourself to the position of the device.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
So I can finally be able to easily tell which side of the iPad is the "top" and won't have to keep searching for the volume controls.

IMO lame...better reasons to have the black bar and3G...but if it works for you...go for it

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
IMO lame...better reasons to have the black bar and3G...but if it works for you...go for it

Why is it lame? You haven't found yourself searching for the volume control or on/off button? I use my WiFi iPad in the bedroom almost exclusively and while its normally not dark dark, its pretty dimly lit and I am always running my fingers up and down the sides when I need to turn up/down the volume trying to find the rocker switch.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Why is it lame? You haven't found yourself searching for the volume control or on/off button? I use my WiFi iPad in the bedroom almost exclusively and while its normally not dark dark, its pretty dimly lit and I am always running my fingers up and down the sides when I need to turn up/down the volume trying to find the rocker switch.

Get the case, it makes it easier, but I have had this issue.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Is it easy (or at least easier than the Apple case) to get the iPad in/out?

Its very easy, it just pops out, literally takes like a few seconds. You pop out one corner, then another and lift it out.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010

no..I haven't .

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I'm going to like the black bar because anything that lets either more wifi or cellular signal in is fine by me.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
but it'll be less protection against the mind control waves.

better re-think your stra ........... <transmission ended>

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
How is the Black bar any more of a tactile, or visual for that matter, point of reference then the home button at the bottom of the screen?

I'm confused?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
How is the Black bar any more of a tactile, or visual for that matter, point of reference then the home button at the bottom of the screen?

I'm confused?

The Home button is hard to see in low light conditions.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Sounds silly, but along with not needing it that piece of plastic played a role in me just getting the Wifi.

I wanted that "perfect" aluminum frame without the cutouts. :apple:

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
The Home button is hard to see in low light conditions.

And impossible to feel :rolleyes:. Come on dude the home button is indented. Easy to tell where it is. This has got to be the (insert word) thread and reasoning I have heard in quite a while.

Plus I can't help but wonder why you'd be in a pitch black room using your iPad.

Anyway I'm done. This makes no sense to me but more power to you or what not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.