I'm going to try something potentially stupid. I only really have 2 questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swindlenz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. swindlenz macrumors member

I'm going to use a playing card and some double sided tape to stick an external portable drive to the back of my MacBook display.

Should I be concerned about heat?

Should I be concerned about vibrations?

Cable/Port

Lid

Vibrations are noticeable on the display and the base. Not visually, it can just be felt. Mac hinge is solid and the drive only weighs 200 grams.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

3. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

If I had to guess, the small vibration probably isn't a problem. I'll take a wild uniformed guess and say there's a 80% chance no wires/connections will bel vibrated out of place and turn your $1000+ piece of equipment into a doorstop.

On the other hand, ifixit reported that the 2012 retina display part of the MBP weighs 673g. That's what it is designed for. So you're "only" increasing the weight the hinge has to hold by ~30%. It may work for a while, but you're playing with disaster. The hinge will almost certainly fail eventually.

But you've already decided to do it, why ask?

4. swindlenz thread starter macrumors member

My MacBook is only the 128GB SSD. So this imposes certain limitations. Having a 1TB external will yield many more options for OS configurations and storage. Trying to run DP2 along side Mavericks on a 128GB drive is hard work.

Also, it can be ejected or unplugged and its not an issue.

----------

Reaffirm suspicions. It can be easily undone.

5. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

No, any internal damage done cannot be easily undone. But maybe it's okay, I'm just guessing.

6. swindlenz thread starter macrumors member

I am very aware internal damage cannot be undone. I refer to the removal of the drive from the lid.

Looking at as a 30% weight gain and actually using the lid with it on there, makes me hmmmmm. I don't like hmmmmm'ing about things. Usually means they're a bad idea.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Looks like you answered your own question.

8. swindlenz thread starter macrumors member

I'm masochistic like that.

9. jg321 macrumors 6502

Plus it looks rubbish.

10. swindlenz thread starter macrumors member

Without a doubt. This, for me, is not a concern though.

11. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Novel idea.

Make sure you mount it low like in the photo to take some of the stress of the hinge.

I'm sure you've thought about the wireless hard drives.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Not something I'd be worried about, I see lots of photographers who turn the top of their macbook in to a utility area with external drives, card readers etc taped on to it. As long as the hinge still holds in place it's fine. Wouldn't be worried about vibrations or anything like that, just thinking too much in to it.

13. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

14. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I know it's a more expensive and a solution with less storage capacity, but why not getting a fast 128GB SD card (Transcend JetDrive/Nifty Drive/etc)? You'd get 256GB of "internal" storage without compromising the rMBPs aesthetics.

You can also buy a 480GB Transcend Jet Drive or an OWC one which are lighter and smaller than an external HDD.

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

While I'm not wild about how it looks, I doubt that you will have any issues. I have attached a drive to my wife's iMac but it was on the stand part. I also velcroed my CalDigit port to the back of my ACD along with the ACD power supply. Really cleaned up a bunch of wires that always stay with the display.

I hope you used a tape that can be removed without damaging the brushed aluminum.

16. swindlenz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the intel guys. Much appreciated.

Somewhat reassuring to hear about photographers taping things to the lid. Didn't really think about that market but being a hobbyist photographer I can see why you'd want to!

In any case I'm just going to let this ride and see how it goes. Will be looking at those slimmer derives also.