I'm going to try to not update to iOS X for six months

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Aston441, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

After the fiascos of the "point O" releases of 7, 8 and 9, where a beautifully stable operating system, but stable only for the last few months of its life, was shambled into an alpha release,

I am done with such insanity.

9.3 is probably going to be rock solid when it is released in a week or so.

I would be insane to get back on the alpha bugs galore train with the bug disaster that iOS X will b.

The problem is that Apple is going to stick into iOS X some kind of nifty new feature that I really want to try out.

I hope I can resist.

2. asv56kx3088 macrumors 6502

Same here. The device I'm holding will be a 6 plus, let's see how it holds up next year today.

3. MacSafe macrumors regular

I did it in my 6.
    Still running iOS 8, waiting for 9.3 release:)

4. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Remember then you're exposing yourself to all the security holes that were fixed in the subsequent updates...

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Remember to download your apps to iTunes and keep working copies for 9.3 in there.

The only problem I see with your plan is that if by chance you don't like iOS 10, you've by then completely removed the ability to downgrade back to 9.3.

7. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I've been saying this every year since the awful iOS 7 release. Curiosity always gets the better of me though.

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

True, you should probably at least try the beta or the final OS at launch while you can still downgrade.

9. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

10. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I guess opening the betas to so many people would help Apple squash most of the bugs for the release...

But they had this for iOS 9, and I have to admit it was a complete wreckage for a few things, especially the SpriteKit engine.

11. Yun0 Suspended

Yun0

oh this stuff again..chances are high ur going to try ios 10 beta 1 the day it comes out..then in sept we get to go through the whole "ios sucks!" thing again as the ios 9 thats "so bad" will be praised upon once ios 10 eats their dog & skins the cat..

12. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I'm intending to make my iPhone 5S stay at the last version of iOS 9 (iOS 9.3.x) for as long as I can.

Just want to ask, is there anyway I can ensure it does not automatically download newer versions of firmware over the air? I know one way is to disconnect from wifi when plugging in to charge, but I fear I may neglect to do that at times.

Besides filling the entire storage of the phone to deprive it of space to download updates, is there any way to forever prevent downloading of new firmware updates? Also, is there any way to get rid of updates once it's downloaded to the phone?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just delete the downloaded update if it gets downloaded and that's it. It would get listed as any other app in the storage section of general settings and can be deleted from there. (And shouldn't download on its own again after that.)

14. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

This. Just want to add, until a new update is released. So every time a new iOS 10.x.x is released, you will have to delete the update file again.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'd love to do the same and hold out for 6 months but I can't even last a day after the announcement. I'm a software whore! Happens every single time, even just today beta 6 is released and I just can't wait to get home and install the new version. There is something truly thrilling about installing a new OS.

So here is my plan, iOS X beta on my iPad first day to help reduce the urge, then beta 3ish I'll do my phone.

16. Ternary macrumors regular

The fact we're even talking about this reveals a flaw in Apple's anti-downgrade stance. It seems like the inability to downgrade is actually discouraging us from upgrading at all.

17. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I can't even believe were already on the 10th iteration of iOS. It feels like just yesterday Scott was presenting iOS 5, and everyone was going crazy over notification center, and iCloud.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, given the pretty much insignificant number of people that it would apply to, it's not likely something that would really be considered a "flaw" by almost any stretch.

19. vista980622 macrumors 6502

There you go :)

https://medium.com/@iosight/how-to-...-without-jailbreaking-476830197a1a#.y8sghce08

20. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Thanks for the help and information guys, I appreciate it! :)

Woah this seems quite complicated by tweaking the system files and everything. I think I'll just stick to deleting the update file if my phone happens to download it.

21. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Good luck with that. It's only human nature to desire something new. Apple will find a way to move you up even if means disabling your major features till you upgrade. What about apps? They will more than likely ask you to upgrade iOS.

22. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

My 6 is quite happy on the silky smooth 8.3 and that's how I'm keeping it.

23. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

He said he will eventually upgrade when iOS 10.3 will be out so app compatibility won't be an issue. Even today, most of the apps on the App Store only require iOS 7.0.

24. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I will want to upgrade, but it seems, based on history, that waiting until at least January will go a long way to ensuring a smooth experience. By January, iOS 7, 8 and now 9 were/are all great. Before January not so great lol.

25. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I missed that part. Depending on apps but Apple apps usually require updated ios