I'm gonna explode if this doesn't get fixed

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Goldfrapp, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Since the days of Mavericks, this annoying little Safari bug has been persistent and driving me bonkers.

How to reproduce:

1. Open any website in Safari
    2. Command-F
    3. Choose "Show Top Sites" from the History menu
    4. In the same tab/window, go to any website (Facebook.com is the best example)

Now look at the top of the page; it appears to be obstructed by the browser window.

Yes, I've reported the bug to Apple several times. Still nothing.

[​IMG]

2. SteveLobs macrumors member

SteveLobs

The command-F does what for you in this situation?

3. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I often find myself having to search for a specific term on a website then go back to Top Sites. That's when the bug strikes.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You should probably post a screenshot as I'm not seeing anything unusual.

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I've updated my op with a screenshot.

6. godrifle macrumors 6502

godrifle

I literally have no idea what you're talking about. I see no oddity when following your directions. Maybe actually describing the bug would be helpful.

7. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Can't you see that the top of the page appears to be blocked by the browser window? See the screenshot in my op.

8. godrifle macrumors 6502

godrifle

I followed your instructions and see no such anomaly. On any of the five Macs in my household. Maybe something wrong with your OS installation, a plugin, or something unique to your environment.

9. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I tested 4 different Macs at my local Apple Store. All 4 exhibited the issue. What gives?

10. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Yes. I see it.

You can see how Safari is not scrolling the page all the way up (down) when opening any page after the Find toolbar is activated.

See how the MacRumors logo is obscured by the Safari UI. Can't scroll up further. Actually, you can scroll up, but the page simply "rubber bands" back down.

Attached Files:

11. godrifle macrumors 6502

godrifle

yup, I see that. What's the bug track number for your report and I'll throw in on it too. Interesting to note that on the resulting page (where the problem occurs), if you press Command-F, the issue disappears.

Looks like this is the result of Command-F making space for the search field, then when Show Top Sites is invoked, that space is not reclaimed.

12. godrifle macrumors 6502

godrifle

I reported this as a bug as well. It remains in the current beta of 10.10.4

13. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

Maybe you should email Tim about this. No, I'm not kidding, since you said that you have reported this many times and there is no fix, he will probably yell at the engineering team and force them to fix the issue. Just sayin' ;)

14. Eithanius macrumors 65816

It is more likely that it wouldn't be fixed until Safari 8.1, or Apple totally leaving it out altogether until Safari 9 comes 10.11 Death Valley.

Worse case scenario, it will NEVER be fixed. Case in point, that Dashboard invisible Menu Bar bug existed and still present on Mavericks...

15. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

So far, the bug appears to be fixed in beta 1. Let's see if it stays that way.

16. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I've not run into that bug. But then again, I'm so OCD that I actually CLOSE the Find overlay before moving on to anything else. ;)

17. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Yeah, I close all find search boxes before moving on, do it almost without thought. This does happen to my browser when I follow the OP instructions... but how can anyone leave a find overlay open when done with it?