I'm guessing I should return my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ramblintoad, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ramblintoad macrumors member

My usage has always been under 2 hours and 30 minutes, but now I just got the 20% warning with 1 hour and 18 minutes of usage, with location services off. It's odd, since when I went to sleep I had 90% battery life, but when I woke up this morning it had around 40%. My email check is set to hourly. Is anyone else getting this poor of a battery life, or should I return my iPhone?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's entirely dependant on what "USAGE" means to you... Are you running the thing as hard as it can run? Or is it "normal" usage?

Also, have you been through a couple complete charge cycles? If not, do this first.

3. ramblintoad thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've had it since July 11th, so it has been through a couple cycles. The usage is normal. A few phone calls, texts, and wifi internet. What bothers me is what I mentioned earlier, that my battery drained around 50% while I was sleeping.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

And by cycles, you mean it has drained all the way down (to where it turned itself off) and then you charges it all the way back up? Just making sure because some people don't know what that means. :)

If you've done that (what I said above) then make an appointment with Apple and see what a genius says.

I can easily get through an entire day with mine. Throughout the day I listen to music pretty steadily, and then surf the web some. And at night I play games and surf the web some more (for reference). I usually don't get the 10% message ever...

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

You will need to check your settings for whether or not you have push on. If you have push constantly on, it will run down your battery like crazy. It is constantly refreshing for new data (e-mails, contacts, etc). You can instead switch it to check every 15 mins or 30 mins, which should help you greatly. Also, turn off 3G/wifi when not needing it to surf the internet.

6. tsvb macrumors 6502

wow that is entirely too fast for the battery to run out for casual use. I mean unless you are playing a 3D game for the whole time with 3G on it shouldn't go that quick.

7. SatyricSoul macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem with my iPod Touch. The most usage I ever got out out of it was around 5 hours. It steadly got worse. This was with the WiFi and Brightness turn off. I only use it for music. It's completely dead now. Won't charge or even turn on. So yeah. I'm taking mine back.

8. profetto macrumors regular

Other people have had this problem and there are ways to fix it. Unfortuneatly I do not know them. Search the forums, they gotta be there somewhere!!! :D

9. cantankerously macrumors regular

You should at least test it before returning it. Run it through a discarge cycle and then just use the phone on GSM. If it still eats battery after that, return it.

10. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Are you using push email? If you are and receiving a ton of emails, then that can eat your battery fairly quickly. Even so, your battery life seems strange and you should go get it looked at.

11. yode macrumors 6502

12. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

If I turn off push whats the point of having a 3G iPhone with exchange support? If it means I must turn off push inorder to get better battery life then I want to cancel my MobileMe sub