I'm guessing this is a scam?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Dino F, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Dino F, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

My wife just received the below email:

upload_2016-9-1_16-27-56.png

In the 'To' box - her correct email address was used, and it also showed her correct Apple ID, where I have blanked it out. The rest of the email though, makes no sense as she is not subscribed to any Music services.

The think which screams "SCAM" to me is the 'From' address: appmanager5234@shaw.ca

This is obviously fake I would think and certainly NOT from Apple..........

Additionally, Googling that email address reveals that "shaw.ca" is some kind of random website so I am guessing the scammers want her to click on the "Cancel and Manage Subscription" link at the bottom, where they will steal her details.

Also - my wife's name is NOT Carla, and boy, they can't even spell the word "iPad" correctly!!!!!!

They are blimmin TERRIBLE.........

:mad:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

The name of the iPad wrong isn't proof it's a scam. If I buy something, it will said "purchased from Jim's iPrime. You can change the name of the device.

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

New policy that worked for me for ages: I didn't ask for the email, I don't read it. End of story.

I hope it works for you too. That email shows clear signs of being invalid. You didn't ask for it, you didn't buy that item recently. That email address is not from Apple, and other details seem to be mismatching.

It's a common scam and it's weird the anti spam filters didn't catch it automatically.

In doubt though, the best way is to manually go to Apple via iTunes or whatever and click on your account and check recent purchases. Anything you paid for is in there. Additionally if you think someone used your card to make purchases on an Apple ID other than yours, check with the credit card company statements.

5. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Shaw.ca is a Canadian cable / internet carrier that provides their clients with email addresses.

Definitely a scam.

6. MLVC macrumors 6502

I've set rules for mail from Apple. If it doesn't end up in the correct folder, it simply gets deleted. Sometimes these things can look pretty real, but they never get sent from an official Apple mail.