I'm guessing this is impossible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scorch07, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I'm considering upgrading to a 3G, but it would be a lot more justifiable if my mom could take my old one (she really needs a new phone). Thing is, she doesn't need internet or texting or anything like that. I know you can't just put a T-Mobile SIM in, but you can't just put in a regular, non iPhone AT&T SIM either can you?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's called unlocking. Wait for New Year's Day and go at it.

There have been reports of AT&T calling people using an iPhone on a non-iPhone plan and making them switch. I'd like to get people's input on the validity of this statement.

3. svndmvn Guest

wait, the original iPhone is unlockable, via software, you can use any SIM

4. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I mentioned the possibility of that to my parents and they were pretty much against that. They want it to be legit (figures).

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And how is unlocking not legitimate?

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they're probably worried about losing the warranty

if it's already out of warranty, tell them that
    maybe they'll say ok

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tell them that not only is unlocking legal, a restore lets you take it straight to Apple.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

Legal and legit are two different things. While unlocking is legal, it is against Apple's Terms of Use, making it, in some people's eyes, not legit.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

1) Apple's Terms of Use? Where are these posted?

2) As soon as there is a legally enforceable contract that I have signed that says I won't unlock the phone, I will consider it "not legit." Just because a company says I shouldn't do something doesn't make it any less "legit" to do that thing. Why is it that so many people in the US seem to take corporate policy as though it were law?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

EULA. Not terms of use. A EULA is between the company and the end-user; breaking it voids the warranty, but I have yet to see a case in which it is deemed illegal.

Of course, when this whole Psystar nonsense is ruled in favor of Apple, the EULA will probably be upgraded to a legally-binding contract.

11. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Ya my mom needs a phone as well so I plan on giving her my sprint phone because its $28 a month. I am waiting till middle of January to pick up my iphone.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Nah, Apple's not gonna take that direction. Frankly, they don't need to. Psystar's done such a laughably amateur job of making their case that Apple's not gonna have to pull out the big guns (legally speaking) to kill them off.

IANAL, but a legally-binding contract can't be implicitly agreed to. Otherwise I could simply publish a notice that says "By sending packets to my IP address, you hereby accept and agree to pay me $10/kbit" and rake in the dough.