Im happy that i didnt wait!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inutopia, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

I was in the market for a 13" MBP a couple months ago and was trying to wait for the new models, boy am I glad i didnt bother..

Lets see:

I paid £836 for the base 13 inch with applecare

and now apple want an extra hundred pounds for:

A tiny bit faster CPU (does not matter)
    2Gb RAM
    90GB of HDD space
    and a slightly upgraded GPU

Surely the march of technology refinement demands that these things should have been at the same price as last years model no?

I'm glad I caved in and bought in February!

2. ibizarocks macrumors regular

clearly not otherwise you would not have made this thread

3. Inutopia thread starter macrumors 6502

Inutopia

No I really am, I just thought I'd come back after all the arrandale threads and share!

Why, do you think the new 13" is better value than the old one? I'd argue that point (and just did)

4. ttran88 macrumors regular

don't forget the extra 3 hour battery and the inertial scrolling :eek:

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Good for you. Only thing is that after 2 or 3 years when you try to sell it on eBay you'll have to declare it as a "mid 2009" computer and people will be like "crap that's old, I'd rather have a newer model". Specs aren't always everything. The ordinary non-geeky consumer doesn't understand as much about specs as we do. When someone buys a second hand computer, they'd always first look at how new the machine is.

At the eve of a refresh I personally would never buy a year old computer because my money isn't really worth it. Not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, just sharing my point of view with you so maybe next time you'll want to resist. :) Good luck getting a good price for it.

6. Arrandale macrumors regular

Strange that this thread hasn't been swooped down upon by the mods.

I waited, and for my money I got
    - a 50% faster CPU, a cooler CPU, a more power efficient CPU
    - a MUCH better GPU
    - much of my life back.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this thread is about the 13" mbp....

8. Inutopia thread starter macrumors 6502

Inutopia

indeed!

If i had been in the market for a 15" i would have been better to wait.

But not the 13, its barely an upgrade and they want £100 more for it!

Id be interested to see this inertial scrolling.. what do people think of it?

I like it on my iphone but im not sure id want it on a laptop... can it be turned off?

I would declare it as being bought i 2010... as it was..

Also, I don't care about resale value, I run my macs into the ground then pass em down to friends and family..

All written off in tax you see..

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

Hm, Pretty sure it can be turned off. Nothing wrong with it though really, you can scroll normally like the old style and if you wanna go down a pdf really quick or something just scroll really quick and watch it do its thang :)

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yes it can be turned off, however I quite like it. Still not as useful as Firefox's approach of 3 finger swipe up and down for top and bottom of the page though.

11. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It's exactly the same as the default scrolling behaviour 'with momentum' on the Magic Mouse. It can be turned off in System Preferences. Not quite as fluid as the iPhone, but still nice.

12. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

to the OP

as far as I am concerned the GPU is not a slight upgrade. It is in my opinion a substantial upgrade. a lot of games are barely playable on the 9400m if even that. the 320m not only makes the games playable but look good as well. All this while consuming less power than the 9400m and running cooler.

this coming from a guy who bought the 2009 MBP 12 days before the new ones were released. using the 2010 model now so i've got recent hands on experience with both of them.

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I agree, the GPU's a major upgrade on the 13 inch.

I don't think the older model is a shambles now, but the newer one is a decent upgrade in quite a few aspects. GPU especially.

14. kolax macrumors G3

An extra £100 for a better GPU, an extra 2GB of RAM and a slightly bigger hard drive.

I think it's worth it. I'd pay the extra £100 to get those things.

15. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Don't forget a much better battery. I don't think it's the best upgrade the Apple could have done for the 13", but I think what you get is definitely worth £100, even if it doesn't justify someone already with a MBP upgrading.

16. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. I waited and I am glad I did. The OP did not and is also happy. Great! Did I expect a bigger update for the 13"? Yea, but the battery life and the extra RAM and hard drive will be something I wanted.

But the OP is not concerned about resale value (I am) and is happy with his/her new computer. So I don't see the point of everyone piling on to try to make the OP regret their decision. Let the OP be happy, and be happy with your new computer.

17. stevespa macrumors member

I'm pretty sure they didn't change the battery, they are just able to get better life from the existing battery with power management on the CPU/GPU.

I'm glad I waited, my 2.16ghz C2D (MBP 2,2) was getting a little slow. 15" i7 on order!

18. neteng101 macrumors 65816

They kept the price in the US the same, and yet people were complaining about the NEW one, with all the extras, just because it doesn't have a Core processor in it! :rolleyes:

I personally thought it was a rather nice bump for those looking for the 13".

19. dcurtis macrumors newbie

I'm with tikidoc...

To me it sounds like the OP is either gloating or trying to justify their purchase, but either way it doesn't help me make a decision about my purchase nor give me any technical information. It's also not even a question.

What you want? A cookie?

20. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Its called "coping with guilt by pretending to believe in the opposite" lol

21. Arrandale macrumors regular

Yes, so out of all the forums in which it could have been posted, this is the most appropriate one. But that's not the point.
    I'm not being harsh or anything, but it neither brings new or interesting information or is a query that can be answered. In all honesty, it is just a statement of "I am happy".

While I do agree by all means with the original poster in what he/she is saying, and do feel happy for him/her because they aren't disappointed having not waited, I am of the opinion that just the expression of a sentiment does not merit the creation of a new thread.

Peace,
    Arrandale