I'm happy with Snow leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Goofy Yno, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Goofy Yno macrumors member

As is typical for all forums, because only the upper end go, and it's easier to post complaints than props, I was worried about SL:eek:. I have a fairly new imac, I did not perform a clean installation. My mac is so much faster!!:D all my programs work. no problems.:D I then did the same to my wife's macbook, it also seem just fine.

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I have a new iMac, but I did a clean install (format & start again only because the migration was not great from what I bought over), & agree. Snow Lepoard is the best thing to hit computing since the Quadra's came out (going back a bit there!:).
    I just wish there was an emulation to make Tiger look like SN, just in the Dock, no biggie, to make my G5 look as good as the iMac that sits next to it!
    :D

3. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Dont forget to return when it starts happening !!! :D

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

5. maddagascar macrumors regular

LOL?? :p :apple:

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well gosh golly darn, Goofy! We're all just so happy for ya! :D

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Many people are plenty happy with SL. You just won't hear them on a forum meant for support. Otherwise, people are only really vocal when something goes wrong.

I did a clean install too. Waited a few weeks until my favorite apps were updated before I installed it, and I haven't had a problem either.

Good times. :D

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's just it, the misconception about online forums is that they are only "Support" forums and that's only part of it. With that mentality comes complaints, rants bitching, unhappiness, spreading FUD, attempts to bring down Apple, attempts to get people to switch back to Windows and such.
    The forums are for "Discussions" and it's too bad there aren't more threads like this one, it can be just as informative and helpful to tell people of positive experiences with SL.

For me, I have 3 Macs I did clean install of SL and have excellent experiences. :)

9. RJaMmin macrumors newbie

Re: Happy w/Snow Leopard

I was nervous after hearing all the negative reviews, but I installed the upgrade last week (not Clean Install, had a clone to revert back if necessary) & I've had no problems. I find the system seems more responsive & everything seems to be working fine. I also updated my wife's Macbook. I'm very happy with Snow Leopard. :D

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

While I was thinking the exact same thing, these forums have turned into mainly support one.

11. adityanag macrumors newbie

So in the spirit of giving back, here's my story.

I'm a long time Windows/Linux user. I always wanted to use a Mac, but never could afford one. Then, Apple sent me a couple of their machines to use for some months (I used to work for a major PC magazine), and I totally loved them.

So, this August, I bit the bullet and bought a Macbook Pro 13. The entry level model, but I put in a 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate drive. It came with Leopard installed, so I used that for around 20 days. Then, Snow Leopard released, and I installed that. I upgraded over Leopard.For a month or so, all was well. Things were faster, and I didn't have any of the issues that I've read about on the forums here.

After a month, however, it started to slow down. Stuff like Safari taking 10-15 seconds to start up, where previously it was more like 2-3 seconds. Word was slow, finder windows were slow, everything was generally sluggish.

To be fair, this could have been my fault, since I installed a TON of apps (like 80-90), since I wanted to check em out, being a first time Mac user and all. And yes, I had everything updated and all.

Two nights ago, I wiped my HDD, and performed a clean install of SL. Now, I'm being very selective about the apps I add, since I now know what I want. The clean install has brought all the speed back, and I'm glad to say I've had zero problems so far. Even prior to this, it was just sluggish, I didn't have any major problems or anything. I'm hoping it stays snappy, with a saner set of apps installed.

Overall, then, though I'm not a long term Mac user, I feel Snow Leopard is pretty damn good. Everything is definitely faster than my few months with Leopard (work and home), and the major behind the scenes work (read the ArsTechnica review?? what a review!), should make it all worthwhile in the days to come. So for all those complaining about SL, I think that there are many more people for who it either worked just fine, or (like me) may have messed it up themselves.