Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I don't know what it is. The computer says that everything is fine but there's no connection. There's a good signal strength, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It just stopped this afternoon, I tried restarting, but nothing. Any suggestions?

I also tried using the "Help" but for some reason it wouldn't load, and I had use force quit. So here I am sittin at my brothers PC, nothing is wrong with his connection, so it has something to do with my computer.

I have an eMac, 10.3.9, D-link wireless router. I've never had problems with my connection, so I don't know what to do.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Anyone have an idea of how to fix this? I went to make another connection through the assistance thing, but it said it couldn't find a connection.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
go to 192.168.0.1 and enter your info (admin for name [most likely] and password) check to see if everything is in order in there. doesn't hurt to to a DHCP renew either.

what does the network status say in system prefs?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've had this problem before. Often, the cause is something screwy going on with your networking hardware (wireless access point, router, hub, modem, etc.). The way to test this is to reset all of the networking hardware by unplugging it, plugging it back in, waiting for it to finish initializing, then attempting to connect again. 90% of the time, this has fixed the problem (the other times, 5% it's broken hardware that needs to be replaced, 5% the cause is not on my end - my ISP is having problems).

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
When this happens to me, I just flick the power off and on which usually seems to fix it. If not, I do what iBlue suggested and that always makes things work again.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
I've had this problem before. Often, the cause is something screwy going on with your networking hardware (wireless access point, router, hub, modem, etc.). The way to test this is to reset all of the networking hardware by unplugging it, plugging it back in, waiting for it to finish initializing, then attempting to connect again. 90% of the time, this has fixed the problem (the other times, 5% it's broken hardware that needs to be replaced, 5% the cause is not on my end - my ISP is having problems).

Ahh, thanks so much. I didn't even bother tryin this, cause my brother's computer was workin. Stupid me :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. What would I do without you guys.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
SamIchi said:
Ahh, thanks so much. I didn't even bother tryin this, cause my brother's computer was workin. Stupid me :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. What would I do without you guys.

crap, and here that's what I thought you meant about restarting. :eek:

glad it's working again.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
iBlue said:
go to 192.168.0.1 and enter your info (admin for name [most likely] and password) check to see if everything is in order in there. doesn't hurt to to a DHCP renew either.

what does the network status say in system prefs?

How do you do a DHCP renew? I am having very similar problems except that occasionally I can get online. But will drop the connection again at some point while browsing.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
asphalt-proof said:
How do you do a DHCP renew? I am having very similar problems except that occasionally I can get online. But will drop the connection again at some point while browsing.
  1. Click System Preferences
  2. Click Network
  3. Select your usual connection method (should have a green light)
  4. Click Configure
  5. Click TCP/IP tab
  6. Click Renew DHCP Lease

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.